Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC

Old 01-14-2018, 04:36 PM   #11
vudoo1979
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Character. Pose. Money. Paint job. I buy what I like. I wish I could afford to spend a ton of money on statues. But unfortunately right now We just started paying for school for my son. So. I have cut back quite a bit. My husband supports my hobby. So I am lucky in that since. And this Christmas I actually did get two statues from my mom and sister.
vudoo1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #12
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudoo1979 View Post
Character. Pose. Money. Paint job. I buy what I like. I wish I could afford to spend a ton of money on statues. But unfortunately right now We just started paying for school for my son. So. I have cut back quite a bit. My husband supports my hobby. So I am lucky in that since. And this Christmas I actually did get two statues from my mom and sister.
Yeah, there's two financial considerations at the end of the decision. Can I afford and can I justify the price?

Sometimes I could buy something, but hard to swallow dropping $400+ on one. I've never regretted a purchase, but I have deliberated for a while on several.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:50 AM   #13
risingstar
Jedi Order

I used to have resellability on my list of what I look for but rising costs have pretty much squashed that option.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:41 AM   #14
junta
Fantastic Four

For me, its positives juxtaposed with the negatives. One thing I will not accept are non-"stone" statues.
junta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:09 PM   #15
Augen
Metal Men

Here's an example of one I'm a bit torn on.

On one hand I think it looks very nice, and seeing Female Thor without her helmet does wonder for her design for me. On the flip side I've not been into Marvel as much these days and I'm not a fan of the character from issues I've read.

Would you buy something a character you aren't fond of because the statue itself appeals to you? I'm conflicted on the matter.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:29 PM   #16
adee
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
Would you buy something a character you aren't fond of because the statue itself appeals to you? I'm conflicted on the matter.
I have and while some of them stick I have found those type of purchases become my turn over fodder more often than not. If you are in this hobby long enough the odds are you will sell stuff eventually. Whether it's to make room or fund something else or just growing tired of it. I do think there is something to be said for buying something that moves you. My advice would be to buy what you like and enjoy the ride.

That Thor is pretty nice btw Augen
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:24 PM   #17
=N=
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
Here's an example of one I'm a bit torn on.

On one hand I think it looks very nice, and seeing Female Thor without her helmet does wonder for her design for me. On the flip side I've not been into Marvel as much these days and I'm not a fan of the character from issues I've read.

Wow Great Art, the statue is spiffy is it resin or pvc ?
=N= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:31 PM   #18
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by =N= View Post
Wow Great Art, the statue is spiffy is it resin or pvc ?
Koto Bishoujo plastic
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:38 PM   #19
vitreolum
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

" Would you buy something a character you aren't fond of because the statue itself appeals to you? I'm conflicted on the matter. "

It's a great question, I'm not sure either. As a statue, that Thor is one of my favorites in the line, if not my favorite, yet I'm not familiar at all with the character.

I've got the same conflict with the upcoming SS Aspen, I love everything about it and it'd be right at home with my other statues, yet I have no clue about the character.

On the other hand I had no problem getting arkhalla and arhian, they fit the standard fantasy vampire/warrior barbie perfectly, so I have no need for connection with the character in that case.

Bottom line is, if space wasn't an issue I'd go for Fathom no questions asked. But as it is, I'm not sure I want to fill the space with a character I know nothing about but love as a statue, and be left with no room for a character I want. But then again, I have no guarantee a proper statue of a character I want will be released and I'll take an unfamiliar statue I like any day over a lame statue of a character I want.
vitreolum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:44 PM   #20
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitreolum View Post
" Would you buy something a character you aren't fond of because the statue itself appeals to you? I'm conflicted on the matter. "

It's a great question, I'm not sure either. As a statue, that Thor is one of my favorites in the line, if not my favorite, yet I'm not familiar at all with the character.

I've got the same conflict with the upcoming SS Aspen, I love everything about it and it'd be right at home with my other statues, yet I have no clue about the character.

On the other hand I had no problem getting arkhalla and arhian, they fit the standard fantasy vampire/warrior barbie perfectly, so I have no need for connection with the character in that case.

Bottom line is, if space wasn't an issue I'd go for Fathom no questions asked. But as it is, I'm not sure I want to fill the space with a character I know nothing about but love as a statue, and be left with no room for a character I want. But then again, I have no guarantee a proper statue of a character I want will be released and I'll take an unfamiliar statue I like any day over a lame statue of a character I want.
The odd part is if this character didn't exist and they just did gender swapped versions of characters I'd probably be easier for me. When I read some of her stories she didn't come off as likable to me and left a bad taste in my mouth.

I think I'll just think about it while as no rush given ll the pieces I know I want to buy.