Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC

Old 01-31-2018, 01:59 PM   #21
vitreolum
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

That's why I mentioned arkhalla and arhian, somehow I have no problem getting a statue that's not a known comic/movie/whatever character either.

Then there's also the matter of how well a statue can be connected to a standard... pattern? (can't find the right word here). For example, if you are able to view this statue as a stylized valkyrie rather than thor, it no longer feels like you're getting a character you don't like. Wouldn't mind getting a statue that way, as long as I can find a certain connection with the character, even if it's not the one intended.
vitreolum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:24 PM   #22
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitreolum View Post
That's why I mentioned arkhalla and arhian, somehow I have no problem getting a statue that's not a known comic/movie/whatever character either.

Then there's also the matter of how well a statue can be connected to a standard... pattern? (can't find the right word here). For example, if you are able to view this statue as a stylized valkyrie rather than thor, it no longer feels like you're getting a character you don't like. Wouldn't mind getting a statue that way, as long as I can find a certain connection with the character, even if it's not the one intended.
That could work, I do like Sif and Valkyrie in the comics. Thanks for the answer.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:02 PM   #23
Tushar
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I was curious when you look at statues how you decide if you want a particular one or not. Have my five points that push me one way or the other.

1. Character - Simply put right out the gate if it is someone I don't care about can do everything right and still pass on it.

2. Art Style - The is the big deal breaker, if the style doesn't appeal you cannot save it with everything else for me.

3. Value - For the quality of the piece I do an assessment of valuating it. I can love how something looks, but at $1000+ I struggle to rationalize it.

4. Face/Expression - I've learned how much facial design can put me off. Where my eyes go first and make the biggest impression.

5. Pose - Adds life to a piece making it feel vibrant with attitude fitting the character.
Agree with most of that.

I do primarily buy characters I like, but I'll allow a good statue to sway me if I know the character only by reputation (for example, the bishoujo Katana). I will not buy a character I personally dislike.

I won't buy a statue with a bad face sculpt. A face sculpt could be ruined for me either by a sloppy paint-job or poor design to begin with. (For instance, that's the reason I skipped the recent Gamora/Rocket statue by Diamond Select)

Pose ranks a lot higher for me. The more generic the pose, the less the appeal. If the pose is either unusual or perfectly suited to the character, it makes me like it better.

Apart from 5 you mentioned, here are an additional 5 parameters of my own:

1. Props - I like my statues to hold something, prefarably something signature. Cap's shield and Thor's hammer, for example, are nearly always present. Batman with a weapon and Green Lantern with his power battery are rarer. Then there's someone like Joker who can hold anything from a camera to a walking stick to cartoonish bombs and guns. I prefer those to an empty-handed statue. You get my point.

2. Costumes - If I own a great statue of a character in their most iconic costume already, odds are that for my next statue I'll go for a different costume than the same one. given it's a variant costume I like. I'll buy an average statue if it features one of my favorite characters in a costume otherwise rare to find. Conversely, I'll skip a good statue if it's a variant costume I hate.

3. Diorama - I'll buy an average statue if I need it to complete a diorama. For example -I'm considering getting the Kotobukiya Marvel Now Cyclops to go with the other X-Men I have from that line.

4. Character accuracy - I'll pass on an otherwise good statue if it features glaring inaccuracies in character design - wrong hair color, missing logo, wrong proportions... stuff like that. I don't mind artists taking some liberties, like changes in non-iconic belts, shoes and such; but the statue should give me the feeling that it's the character I know.

5. Preservability - If an otherwise good statue looks like the odds of it being warped/stained/damaged with time are significantly higher than usual, I'll skip it unless there's an excellent reason not to.

Finally, and this is too rare to be a regular concern, I love it when a statue demostrates an unusual superpower in a visually striking way.

------------------------

Wow... I had no idea there'd be so many things to consider. Really enjoyed quantifying why I like what I like. Thanks.
Tushar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:07 PM   #24
Augen
Metal Men

Character accuracy wasn't one I considered, but you're right how jarring it would be if a major detail was just wrong.

I also agree on costume. I love Power Girl, but if anyone releases one in her early New 52 costume I don't think I could bring myself to buy it.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:59 PM   #25
Tushar
Hellboy

Agreed. New 52 dropped the ball for most of the characters. I thought Poison Ivy and Supergirl were ruined forever. Thank God for Rebirth.

For me, the definitive version of DC A-listers will always be the pre-Flashpoint versions.

Not a fan of the movie costumes either. Except for maybe Wonder Woman.

Everyone from Koto and Diamond to SHF is producing amazingly accurate stuff based on the movie costumes. Too bad I won't buy any.

I wish they'd redirected this energy somewhere else. So many Elseworlds stories are still untapped. Can you imagine if even one of these companies had done a Justice Riders diorama instead...
Old 02-20-2018, 10:26 PM   #26
bwestley13
Birdman

As someone that collects almost entirely female figures my standards are:

1. Cute/sexy/fun

2. Have to know who they are, at a glance from across the room.

3. Space. I have passed on a lot of pieces due to the amount of available room.

4. Price. If there is something I considered buying at SRP I'll definitely buy it on a 30%-50% off sale.

5. Actress likeness. If its based on a real person, it needs to look like them. If its just based on a character, they can take all the artistic liberties they want as long as it keeps within standards.

6. Synergy. Needs to be able to visually fit in my collection or give me options to explain into other areas. I pieced up Blitzway's Marilyn Monroe when she came was released because she fit rules 1-5. Now I can pick out their Sharon Stone or HCG Sin City Nancy without them looking out of place.
bwestley13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:20 AM   #27
Tushar
Hellboy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwestley13 View Post

Haven't we all

That's why I'm VERY picky about anything in sixth scale or larger. It has to be an outstanding statue of a character I'm in love with.

I'm thinking of moving to a larger apartment later this year as my collection grows...
Old 02-21-2018, 10:24 AM   #28
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
As someone that collects almost entirely female figures my standards are:

1. Cute/sexy/fun

2. Have to know who they are, at a glance from across the room.

4. Price. If there is something I considered buying at SRP I'll definitely buy it on a 30%-50% off sale.

5. Actress likeness. If its based on a real person, it needs to look like them. If its just based on a character, they can take all the artistic liberties they want as long as it keeps within standards.

6. Synergy. Needs to be able to visually fit in my collection or give me options to explain into other areas. I pieced up Blitzway's Marilyn Monroe when she came was released because she fit rules 1-5. Now I can pick out their Sharon Stone or HCG Sin City Nancy without them looking out of place.
3. Being relatively new to this I haven't encountered space issues yet, but I am planning on building a piece of furniture to store and display them. I figured I was safe for a few years...and then I see Tweeterhead's ambition and am wonder if I'll have to build a second unit at some point.

6. This is one I've thought about more in terms of formally displaying pieces. I am thinking either "this piece is part of a line" or "this piece is part of a character collection". I mainly do DC Heroines, but I do have some odd video game or anime statues as well which don't fit in that theme.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:53 AM   #29
bwestley13
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
3. Being relatively new to this I haven't encountered space issues yet, but I am planning on building a piece of furniture to store and display them. I figured I was safe for a few years...and then I see Tweeterhead's ambition and am wonder if I'll have to build a second unit at some point.
I started collecting in 2014. My space limitations are currently more artificial than physical. I started off dedicating 5foot wall at the top of the stairs to my loft/media room. Last year after getting rid of my bluray collection I added three Ikea detolfs. After next week, I'll be officially out of room in that set area. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to get 4 more detolfs or 3 bestas this weekend.
bwestley13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:12 PM   #30
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
I started collecting in 2014. My space limitations are currently more artificial than physical. I started off dedicating 5foot wall at the top of the stairs to my loft/media room. Last year after getting rid of my bluray collection I added three Ikea detolfs. After next week, I'll be officially out of room in that set area. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to get 4 more detolfs or 3 bestas this weekend.
I've actually debated purging some old video games and movies as have shelves of them from past twenty years and many of them have been collecting dust for years. I think that's my biggest issue, I struggle to get rid of stuff. Almost have to be forced at a certain point.