Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 12-25-2014, 09:52 PM   #41
Arcusprime
Shadowhawk

Interesting this is happening again. I had some piece of Dean's art, which I took down since the whole episode soured me. And I really liked his art! And I spent some time chatting with Dean at a convention and he was a really cool guy. We had a lot in common. Alas.
I was refunded fully, so no issues there. Good Luck, Barnes!
Arcusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #42
NullSkier
A day without sunshine is like... night.

About a year and a half ago, a friend told me he'd ordered a surprise for me, which was Superman related somehow. I found out today it was a deancon2013 sketch from Dean Trippe. He'd ordered one for himself, as well as one for me. Here's what my friend had to say about it:

Quote:
I placed an order on 8/8/13 for a commission. On 8/9/13 he posted this to Instagram, which is the piece I eventually received 6 months later.

I do seem to remember he put out an open message on his Tumblr saying he was doing commissions at a lower than normal price (I think) so he may have been over extended, which is fair, but I never saw any communication from him (I don't follow him on Tumblr).

On 8/11/13, I ordered another commission for a friend (Dean had closed the commission orders, but I messaged him asking if it was still okay to add another one since I had ordered one just a few days earlier, which he said was okay). I sent off the money via PayPal right after that.

I sent Dean an email to update my friends mailing address on 9/3/13 (which he responded to and confirmed).

Months went by. I finally received my commission around mid to late February of 2014. I sent Dean an email on 2/26/14, and 3/31/14 asking about the other piece with no response.

After tweeting to him on 4/23/14 he responded saying:

"Sorry. DEANCON commissions go out every other week, but there are a lot to get through. I've been slowed down recently with a kid in the hospital and catching pneumonia myself, but they're still coming. Sorry for the extended wait. I appreciate your patience and understanding."

I thanked him for the update, but haven't heard a peep out of him since. I emailed him shortly before the holidays and still no response or commission for my friend.
NullSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:45 PM   #43
pwimrbarnes
Justice League

This is from September 11th, 2013, where he says Deancon 1 orders will be done and shipped by the end of Sept. 2013, and Deancon 2 orders will be done and shipped by the end of October, 2013

http://deantrippe.tumblr.com/post/60...the-end-of-the

Last edited by pwimrbarnes; 01-05-2015 at 07:48 PM. Reason: updated context of link
pwimrbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:03 PM   #44
Arcusprime
Shadowhawk

I got those kinds of excuses all the time.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:20 AM   #45
pwimrbarnes
Justice League

still haven't received the pieces yet. He must've been busy doing this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Art...item3cf04695f9

ugh
Old 01-20-2015, 07:15 AM   #46
pwimrbarnes
Justice League

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/01/...pes-star-wars/

a link to this thread at the bottom of the post. hope this solves some problems!
Old 01-20-2015, 09:08 AM   #47
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwimrbarnes View Post
@deantrippe is his twitter. a quick search will show a few people asking about outstanding commissions and "#deancon" pieces. some have been responded to, some haven't.

smart and tactful is exactly what I was looking for. Not trying to ruin this guy's life, just looking to get a resolution for this.

I no longer have any interest in the art. This to me sours the whole experience. I've been asking for a refund for months and explained, hey, this whole thing has gone on too long. How can I enjoy the piece without reliving the whole experience behind it?

I don't know if I'd have any luck with paypal refund since I used the friends and family option, but worth a try and I will keep you guys posted.

I should also mention, just in case this seems like a hatchet job, that Dean's also facing a lot of criticism regarding his kickstarter which he hasn't fulfilled. People on the comments board there are starting to get riled up!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rippe/comments

Also, to those who responded, thanks for welcoming me to the board! I have a lot of awesome experiences to share too, I promise!
Read the kickstarted comments if you haven't. To me it really puts Dean in an awful light as it seems apparent he is just taking people's money from all sorts of venues and using that money for whatever he sees fit while not delivering product.

Also you get to see an example of the many apologists that are out there who feel that an artist can do no wrong -- those people are the reason some artists feel they can take money for commissions and not deliver product

Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #48
pwimrbarnes
Justice League

just an update: THERE IS NO UPDATE.

Dean's stopped responding to emails again. Never shipped the two pieces he said he finished. someone posted to him on twitter about outstanding commissions this past weekend, and he said there was a family tragedy and to give him a week. This is the latest in a series of excuses, but it makes no difference. There is no good reason why myself and others have been blown off for this long.

I'm done. Dean owes me $505.00, and I want my money back as soon as possible.

If you're interested, I really suggest reading the the kickstarter thread for his book. It's gotten far worse than when I first posted it.

Also, feel free to search @deantrippe on twitter, you'll see a number of people asking him about his outstanding work with no response.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:30 PM   #49
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

ironic that the name of his project summarizes your experience as well as those that contributed to this:

Something Terrible, by Dean Trippe
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:31 PM   #50
Arcusprime
Shadowhawk

I received several excuses in the years since I commissioned him before I received my refund. Car trouble, back trouble, cold and flu issues, personal problems, etc.
Basically normal people situations.