Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-25-2018, 10:49 PM   #24241
off
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio1 View Post
I watch lots of movies. That was a rough patch for sure. Thank the wife for most of the bad ones!
Ha!

Don't worry, I'm being drug to the Titanic musical and dinner theater on Saturday.

Ugh.
off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:24 AM   #24242
JoeWorf
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
Do you realize that many of your comments come across as the angry, white, male, Trump supporter? Not trying to get political but a lot of your comments that would require your opinion, this seems to be the way you always lean.
+ 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post

.... And no I'm defiantly not a trump supporter but I'm also not a social justice warrior who thinks their farts smell like roses either...

Just a few examples of how crazy the feminist movement is getting, you have actresses now saying they won't let their daughters watch Snow White because Prince Charming sexually assaults Snow White by kissing her while she was in that sleeping spell.... Same thing with little mermaid, they won't let their daughters watch that because no girl should give up her voice for any guy...… Alicia Keys, Keira Knightly, Kristen Bell, etc....
Nope. Nothing political there.... no siree bob!

Truth should be objective, but these days it is more and more subjective, sadly.

Moderators aren't necessarily objective either.

And, yes, some folks DEFINITELY seem stuck in the same groove. (Yeah, I know it's petty, but every time it gets posted my eyes bleed a little. Sorry. [Well, not really]).

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri 8/10 (IMHO)
JoeWorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:50 AM   #24243
nameivom
The Herculoids

Halloween (1978), 6/10
nameivom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:44 PM   #24244
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWorf View Post
+ 1

Nope. Nothing political there.... no siree bob!

Truth should be objective, but these days it is more and more subjective, sadly.

Moderators aren't necessarily objective either.

And, yes, some folks DEFINITELY seem stuck in the same groove. (Yeah, I know it's petty, but every time it gets posted my eyes bleed a little. Sorry. [Well, not really]).

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri 8/10 (IMHO)

It has nothing to do with objectivity but everything to do with some people being so sensitive about EVERYTHING you can't have an opinion anymore unless it's exactly like their opinion...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:40 PM   #24245
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
It has nothing to do with objectivity but everything to do with some people being so sensitive about EVERYTHING you can't have an opinion anymore unless it's exactly like their opinion...
Agreed. It's become quite unreal.

Back when Black Panther was the hot topic, it took about three seconds for people to jump on the racist train for a comment I posted about how it was just an OK Marvel movie.

Same with the new She-Ra. You hate the animation, automatically you're a pervert.

It's like nothing I've ever seen.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:33 PM   #24246
JoeWorf
The Herculoids

Quote:
Since you were the one who invoked the "truth'' aspect...

So, yes, it is about objectivity...

Truth: the property (as of a statement) of being in accord with fact or reality.

Objectivity: not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased

My problem with regards to your "subjective" truths is that you somehow believe they are universally accepted (or should be) by all that read your version of it. Some come here, drop into a thread and lay out their world view as though it came from the gospel or on high and it is somehow sacrosanct. It's just your opinion (or mine), fine, but the problem is that when someone disagrees with it, some of you come screeching back like a banshee, blathering about heresy for daring to take you to task or to take issue. Or worse, try to shoot it down with some canned rhetoric you cribbed out of a playbook dedicated to your like-mindedness. Repeating the same old trope ad nauseam does not make it fact. It's similar to the old adage about saying something three times and it automatically becomes the truth. Not where I come from, sport. You make a biased statement, then you might be challenged on it. Period. If you don't like scary responses then don't make scary statements to begin with.
Seriously, I can almost bank on the following being used in the typical defense... "SJW", "agenda", "reverse", "- bending", "sensitive", "perverted", "moral", "feminist", "traditional', " -values", etc. Oh, and don't let me forget that other annoying tactic of dismissing or demeaning someone else's differing viewpoint as "dishonest", "farcical", "naïve", "hysterical", or that yours, by contrast, is a "given" or "just common sense" (or dare I say, "the truth"?). Have all the opinions you like, just don't get your knickers in a twist when disagreed with and called out for what they may be. Don't start no mess, won't be no mess.

Blade Runner 2049 - 7.5/10
Old 10-26-2018, 09:14 PM   #24247
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWorf View Post
Since you were the one who invoked the "truth'' aspect...

So, yes, it is about objectivity...

Truth: the property (as of a statement) of being in accord with fact or reality.

Objectivity: not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased

My problem with regards to your "subjective" truths is that you somehow believe they are universally accepted (or should be) by all that read your version of it. Some come here, drop into a thread and lay out their world view as though it came from the gospel or on high and it is somehow sacrosanct. It's just your opinion (or mine), fine, but the problem is that when someone disagrees with it, some of you come screeching back like a banshee, blathering about heresy for daring to take you to task or to take issue. Or worse, try to shoot it down with some canned rhetoric you cribbed out of a playbook dedicated to your like-mindedness. Repeating the same old trope ad nauseam does not make it fact. It's similar to the old adage about saying something three times and it automatically becomes the truth. Not where I come from, sport. You make a biased statement, then you might be challenged on it. Period. If you don't like scary responses then don't make scary statements to begin with.
Seriously, I can almost bank on the following being used in the typical defense... "SWJ", "agenda", "reverse", "- bending", "sensitive", "perverted", "moral", "feminist", "traditional', " -values", etc. Oh, and don't let me forget that other annoying tactic of dismissing or demeaning someone else's differing viewpoint as "dishonest", "farcical", "naïve", "hysterical", or that yours, by contrast, is a "given" or "just common sense" (or dare I say, "the truth"?). Have all the opinions you like, just don't get your knickers in a twist when disagreed with and called out for what they may be. Don't start no mess, won't be no mess.

Blade Runner 2049 - 7.5/10
Go back and read my posts, we were talking about the Wonder Woman movie, I gave my opinion, someone else didn't like my opinion and said I was a privilege old white male republican who supported Trump, then you jumped into the discussion and agreed with them even going as far as criticize the moderators because they didn't think my post was political.... You guys turned it political, I didn't...

The "Can't handle the truth" GIF was a joke... but it seems your skin is so thin you take offence to that also....

If you can't handle someone else's opinion move on to the next subject or maybe you shouldn't even be on the Internet as it seems your super sensitive to everything.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:05 PM   #24248
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Quote:

Actually I hate the far right as much as I hate the far left.... And no I'm defiantly not a trump supporter but I'm also not a social justice warrior who thinks their farts smell like roses either...

I call them as I see them, of course everyone has their own perspective on stuff but saying the Feminist movement at the time had no impact on the popularity of the WW movie is a farce IMO.. On release day they had movie theaters doing women only, you had lots of female actors/politicians, etc.. hyping the movie up.... I think what I said was a valid point.

Just a few examples of how crazy the feminist movement is getting, you have actresses now saying they won't let their daughters watch Snow White because Prince Charming sexually assaults Snow White by kissing her while she was in that sleeping spell.... Same thing with little mermaid, they won't let their daughters watch that because no girl should give up her voice for any guy...… Alicia Keys, Keira Knightly, Kristen Bell, etc....
I see what your saying. But hear what I'm saying and I don't mean disrespect. Sometimes you have to look at someone's else's perspective and not get caught up in something is being taken away. I'm not pointing the finger at you. But we live in a mixed society that supposed to be inclusive. For example I celebrate XMAS and I understand not everyone does. I choose to say happy holiday because I want to be inclusive and I have no idea what someone celebrates.

Another example is darker skin color people don't get entire Super Hero movies representing them. When they get one, they are over the moon. White people got to grow up with 98% of the toys looking like them. Think of the joy that was missed out by other people who didn't get the same experience. AND I never called you old, I was just comparing what I saw to an attitude I see on TV.

Wonder Woman. When she yells Steve Trevor, You don get to decide what I do. That makes you roll your eyes, but it makes woman feel powerful.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:08 PM   #24249
JoeWorf
The Herculoids

Quote:
Go back and read my posts, we were talking about the Wonder Woman movie, I gave my opinion, someone else didn't like my opinion and said I was a privilege old white male republican who supported Trump, then you jumped into the discussion and agreed with them even going as far as criticize the moderators because they didn't think my post was political.... You guys turned it political, I didn't...

The "Can't handle the truth" GIF was a joke... but it seems your skin is so thin you take offence to that also....

if you can't handle someone else's opinion move on to the next subject or maybe you shouldn't even be on the Internet as it seems your super sensitive to everything.
We'll try this again... with FACT as a focal point.

Feminism - the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes - Merriam-Webster.
What you stated was political in tone and a bit disparaging.... portray it anyway you like it, though.

Opinion (mine): feminism is not an inherently dirty word or a negative... unless you are wielding it as a weapon or ploy. You've attached your own negative connotation to the word (as have others) and use it as a feeble crutch to reduce a woman's achievement to mere folly, chance or conspiracy. Like I predicted you resorted to the old overly "sensitive" play and capped it off with a variation of "my country (internet) love it or leave it". No dice, "Bub"! Incel-like notions don't faze me. I'm even considering a new handle... "Designed2Whine" or "Made2Shade", whaddaya think? If your skin got any thinner I could read through it... actually, I'm pretty sure I do see through you.

Avengers: infinity War - 7/10
Old 10-26-2018, 10:50 PM   #24250
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Can we get back to rating movies in this thread. Take your discussions to PMs.