Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 08-18-2020, 02:20 PM   #26911
ukshaun
Hercules

Fantastic Four (2005)
7/10

I am a later comer to this. I was genuinely surprised at how good the special effects looked, given it's 2005 release date. Back then i guess they didn't have the level of CGI required for Thing. The Thing outfit worked a treat. I also discovered that Captain America Chris Evans plays the part of Johnny Storm.
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:18 AM   #26912
risingstar
Jedi Order

Gone with the Wind -- 6/10

Unfortunately, I do not think this film aged all that well, despite all its Oscar glory. Also, is there a more annoying character in film than Scarlett O'Hara? I could barely stomach her sense of entitlement. Also, the sexism and in-your-face class structure and low value for human life in the film was unbearable. I realize this was a period piece but it's incredible how much times have changed in film.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:24 PM   #26913
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Gone with the Wind -- 6/10

Unfortunately, I do not think this film aged all that well, despite all its Oscar glory. Also, is there a more annoying character in film than Scarlett O'Hara? I could barely stomach her sense of entitlement. Also, the sexism and in-your-face class structure and low value for human life in the film was unbearable. I realize this was a period piece but it's incredible how much times have changed in film.
Entitlement hasn't changed, people nowadays feel more entitled than anytime in history IMO...

I think the problem with Gone with the Wind is it romanticizes the South during the Civil War, which I guess makes sense since you're watching it through the eyes of a southern belle... but the truth is slavery was brutal, and they rather gloss over that part in the movie.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:12 PM   #26914
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
but the truth is slavery was brutal, and they rather gloss over that part in the movie.
I wonder if the novel does the same.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:32 PM   #26915
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

Project Power - 7.5/10

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 02:29 PM   #26916
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collection King 13 View Post
Project Power - 7.5/10
Saw this the other night, 7/10

It was good but not great... I found parts of it rather boring... I thought the concept was good just didn't quite execute it right...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:31 PM   #26917
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Had a Stuart Gordon film night yesterday (director of Re-Animator, From Beyond, Dolls to name a few)

Castle Freak (1995) - I was expecting this movie to be awful as it didnt have great reviews, but I really enjoyed it. It reunites Jeffrey Combs and Barbara Crampton again (they co-starred in Re-Animator and From Beyond) Its about a woman who lives in an old castle in Italy, due to abandonment issues with her husband she decides to chain up and torture their son for forty years until she passes away and a new family inherits the castle. The now adult child who is hideously deformed from years of torture and starvation breaks out of his cell and decides to take revenge on anyone who he encounters. The setting was awesome, it was a real castle in Italy that they used and it worked extremely well for the movie. The creature and gore effects were top notch, especially the gore, and there was never a dull moment - 8.5/10

Dagon (2001) - This is another inspired by HP Lovecraft movie, its about a town full of people who over the years have evolved into a fish like race after they were tricked into worshipping Dagon, an ancient water God. The town itself was really well done, many of the buildings were flooded, it was constantly raining, they did a really great job of showing a realistic environment where these people would live. It seems the budget may have run short near the end of the movie as the final scenes have a lot of really poor makeup effects compared to the earlier scenes in town. The main character survived through lots of things that would have killed him which kinda took me out of the movie a bit as it felt really unrealistic (even for a movie about a bunch of fish people) but overall I quite enjoyed the movie, the story was really interesting and the conclusion was satisfying - 7/10
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:00 PM   #26918
Agent23
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Leon: The Professional - 7.5/10
Agent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:59 PM   #26919
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Mountaintop Motel Massacre (1983) - "don't disturb Evelyn, she already is" was the catchphrase for this movie, and it makes sense. Its about an older lady (Evelyn) that runs a motel, except little do the guests know, shes actually an ex mental patient who was released after she "recovered". Through a series of interconnecting tunnels that run under the motel cabins, she enjoys surprising people in their rooms and dishing out some mayhem - 7/10

The Burning (1981) - this was the film debut of Jason Alexander of Seinfeld fame lol above average slasher movie that takes place at a campground, pretty fun movie that draws obvious comparisons to Friday the 13th, some say its even better than the first Friday the 13th but I dont think I'd quite agree with that. The gore effects were top notch though, from the master Tom Savini - 8/10

Scream (1996) - Im going to say right now that my ratings might be a bit biased on the first two movies because they've been favourites of mine since release, Wes Craven breathed new life into the horror genre for me during a pretty stagnant time in horror, and Ghostface is one of my all time favorite horror icons. Ill never forget the first time seeing Scream, they did such a good job with the suspense (the opening scene still gives me chills) and with keeping the audience guessing on who the killer is, I was totally floored at the reveal, they did it in such a clever way, and they did a great job making the audience suspect everyone - 10/10

Scream 2 (1997) - I like this one equally as much as the first, and I felt like they expanded on it in really creative ways. I really like what they did with the meta aspect in this series, with the "Stab" movies being a part of the Scream universe, and the constant references to other horror movies and just the horror genre as a whole. Having the opening sequence take place in a theatre while people are watching the "Stab" movie (which is the movie within this movie based on the events of the first movie lol) was a really cool idea, I've never seen anything like it. Equally as suspenseful as the first, arguably even more in some parts, they expanded upon the original idea while staying faithful to the core of these movies - 10/10

Scream 3 (2000) - again directed by Wes, but written by a different writer than part 1 and 2, which was obvious at parts but not as detrimental as some fans would say. This movie suffers the most regarding gore, apparently the studio interference at the time demanded the gore be cut down due to real life events at the time (columbine) so it was the most minimal in this movie out of all 4. I found the Hollywood backstory and setting interesting (though a bit far fetched) but it kept things fresh while staying true to the feel of the Scream movies. Fun cameo from Carrie Fisher, and Parker Posey was hilarious throughout the movie - 8/10

Scream 4 (2011) - even with the original writer back, this one was a bit disappointing to me. It didnt have much of the suspense that I love from this series, and the end reveal while unexpected was a bit underwhelming. At least it had a bit more gore than part 3. I think the idea for this one was a semi-reboot for a new generation, so maybe im just getting old but I didnt feel like it was as relatable to me as the previous movies, the new gen of victims weren't as likeable or interesting. Also features the worst opening sequence from the series, I think they went a bit too meta in this one, if that is even possible with the Scream movies - 7/10
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:57 AM   #26920
Demona
Martian Manhunter

The first Scream was so much fun. I still love that movie. Jumps, some gore, and a whole lotta fun.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote