Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Tweeterhead

Old 05-26-2018, 11:10 PM   #141
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
I guess I do not remember the costume being that risqué in the late 70's/80's when she was more or less a semi permanent cast member in Batman and Detective Comics. Maybe I will have to dig out a few issues to refresh my memory.
Some differences could be attributable to different artists working on the same character. For example, the current Rebirth Wonder Woman design was derived from the DCEU movie version. However, there are two different ways of drawing the skirt and the boots. (The same thing happened with New 52 Wonder Woman. Some people drew her with a "W" at the top of her chestplate. Others drew her with an eagle head. The eagle head faced left or right depending on the illustrator, lol.)

Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:15 PM   #142
Taneleer Tivan
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
On Tweeterhead's facebook page someone made the comment about the female statue being overly sexualized. I have to say that in this case I agree. When Catwoman wore this costume, there was never that much leg or cleavage being shown. I guess I am wondering was it necessary to depict the statue like this? I know that when the Wonder Girl statue was shown some people thought that her cleavage was too low and I saw there point. In this case it seems a bit more blatant. I do think this is a fantastic sculpt and trust me, I am far from a prude but I just think that I am going to have to pass on this one.
I joined the forum only to seek the sneak of the Catwoman statue and never had any intention of ever posting, but I thought I'd don my flame suit and back you up. I think the statue is absolutely phenomenal...but for the cleavage and the cut in the dress. I have always loved this version of the character, but the costume has certainly been sexed up for this statue. Check out some of the 80s covers from Batman (324, 334, 398) or Detective (well ok, Alan Davis does show a bit more thigh on 570) to see what I mean. The sad part is, this statue would still be a tremendous achievement had it stuck to that design (perhaps even more so).

I was planning on buying it, but now I'm not sure. I have female friends and family that visit and...I guess I must be a prude after all...I am not sure I could defend it if comments were made. Same with Donna Troy; I wanted that one too but George Perez did not draw her with that much cleavage during the early run of New Teen Titans.

I still have great hopes for Tweeterhead...I'm sure they will get my money eventually! I'm not sure what could make me resist an 80s Legion statue.
Taneleer Tivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:42 PM   #143
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneleer Tivan View Post
I'm not sure what could make me resist an 80s Legion statue.
More cleavage? :-p ;-)

But seriously, I can understand where you guys are coming from (even though being European I don't share certain points of view), and I was one of those that criticized Sideshow's fan service with the unnecessary navel window on their first Poison Ivy PF, but I think it really works here. A very sensual piece it may be, but I don't find it vulgar in the slightest - not saying you said that, guys.

Besides, as you did say, it's not like Alan Davis didn't draw her showing those endless legs at least.

And I know this is Dave Stevens, of pin-upish Rocketeer fame, but I'll throw it here too, because... boy, could he draw as well.

What the heck, even good old José Luis GarcÃ-a-López didn't shy away from showing some rack:

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

PS: Chad, no buckles there, see? ^_^
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:52 PM   #144
floreairfoot
Sinister Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeterhead View Post
Hey,

Buckles or NO Buckles? I wrestled with that question the entire time we were working on her. I chose to put them on because, this CW art is honestly the first piece of art I believe I ever saw of her. I hope they don't discourage anyone from purchasing her. Check out the attached pic!!
In my opinion, it would look better without the buckles. You’ve got that gorgeous bag of loot right behind her, and the buckles seem to distract from it. The gold on her belt buckle is the perfect touch.

Regardless, she’s an AMAZING piece!! I can’t wait to have her added to the collection! You’ve sold me three versions of Catwoman I never expected to own.. Ruby Newmar, Michelle Pfeiffer, and now this classic Catwoman!
floreairfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:54 PM   #145
Taneleer Tivan
Doh!

[QUOTE=Shoo;5607917]More cleavage? :-p ;-)

Well, if they put it on Mon-El, Blok or Quislet, yes!

You cite some good examples; I guess my memory of the character in that costume is firmly ensconced in the early 80s. To each their own!
Old 05-27-2018, 05:58 PM   #146
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by floreairfoot View Post
You’ve sold me three versions of Catwoman I never expected to own.. Ruby Newmar, Michelle Pfeiffer, and now this classic Catwoman!
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneleer Tivan View Post

Well, if they put it on Mon-El, Blok or Quislet, yes!
lol
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:51 PM   #147
Gothamite
Phoenix

Covers are a small fraction of the artwork produced for comics. (Indeed, I'm usually annoyed by covers that have little to do with the interior art.)
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:17 PM   #148
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeterhead View Post
Hey,

Buckles or NO Buckles? I wrestled with that question the entire time we were working on her. I chose to put them on because, this CW art is honestly the first piece of art I believe I ever saw of her. I hope they don't discourage anyone from purchasing her. Check out the attached pic!!
I will be buying her - but I vote NO BUCKLES. It makes them look like bad witch boots IMO. Selina is too sleek, sexy, and fashionable (even when commuting B&E) and Buckley’s boots.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:24 PM   #149
Demona
Martian Manhunter

On the conversation of the costume being “sexed up”, I have my money on their person commenting is not confident with themselves and is trying to fight the feminist battle for me. To those people I say - knock it the F off. Women can be sexy and be powerful, strong, smart, and whatever they want to be all while wearing whatever they want. The sooner women, and people, understand that, the sooner the important battles can be fought. What a woman wears is NOT the issue. Not even close.

Guess what - I am a woman and I find this statue to be perfect in design (ok, maybe 99.9% based on my above post). What people should be looking at is how CONFIDENT Selina is. How she is taking what she wants, wearing what she wants (impractical as it is) and is ruling her OWN world.

Put this statue on your shelves and enjoy it. Sure, she was drawn and designed by men - but that doesn’t mean designers and those appreciate her design should be lectures because we see the WHOLE Selina/Catwoman and not just her suit.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:03 PM   #150
Taneleer Tivan
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
On the conversation of the costume being “sexed up”, I have my money on their person commenting is not confident with themselves and is trying to fight the feminist battle for me.
Well, you've lost that bet. I was simply pointing out that, for a line called "Super Powers" (suggestive of the early 1980s when the Jack Kirby series was published), the costume doesn't match the comics of that day. It is a more revealing version of the early 80s costume, and probably a bit too much for display in my home, where my tastes are the deciding factor (I do take friends and family into consideration in that regard; perhaps that's a character flaw). It has nothing to do any overarching political, philosophical or societal statement. I don't do virtue signaling; I find it classless.