Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 05-26-2018, 12:08 PM   #11
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
https://www.kotous.com/retailstore/bishoujo/marvel.html

I see your point. But the earlier bishoujos looked much younger (Black Widow/ Sue Storm), and Marvel had no problems back then. The recent bishoujos do a decent job looking age-appropriate, IMO.

It's also worth noting that we keep getting bishoujos of teenage characters (Ms. Marvel, Spider-Gwen, Squirrel Girl, Kitty, Jubilee) when there's plenty of adults in the Marvel they could've done instead.

The statement Gonk made about changed sensibilities is very telling. I don't know about the world, but the sensibilities around the offices of Marvel have certainly changed. They're more prudish now.
It's to be expected given that Disney owns Marvel now.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:36 PM   #12
moviemonster
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
"Sexy" isn't the problem as there are other statues of the same characters with provocative costumes or poses. Rather, bishoujos tend to look young, and that can send the wrong kind of message to the general public.
I’ve always thought this about the line. The whole “young female” in a provocative pose thing is not something I really understand.
moviemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:43 PM   #13
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviemonster View Post
I’ve always thought this about the line. The whole “young female” in a provocative pose thing is not something I really understand.
It's a Japanese thing.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:06 AM   #14
NuSoard
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Psylocke being cancelled has nothing to do with sexiness, and everything to do with the fact that Marvel is aggressively phasing out all merchandising of X-Men, with the logic being that, if X-Men merchandise is released, it serves as promotional material for another company's film franchise. This is why you now see very little X-Men *anything*. If that buyout deal doesn't go through, don't expect to see more X-Merchandise than you do currently. It's a pretty sickening situation for an X-Fan like myself...don't get me started.
NuSoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:17 AM   #15
Tushar
Hellboy

Nah. They were doing that earlier, and that too with Fantastic Four more than X-Men. X-Men is way too big to ignore. We got an X-Men Marvel Legends wave last year and we're getting two this year. We're also getting DST statues of X-23 and Rogue. And we got X-Men Marvel Now line from Koto not so long ago, not to mention the upcoming X-Men '92 line.

With the recent changes in Marvel top floor and the return of FF in comics, I doubt they're still trying to suppress X-merch.
Tushar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:01 PM   #16
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoard View Post
Psylocke being cancelled has nothing to do with sexiness, and everything to do with the fact that Marvel is aggressively phasing out all merchandising of X-Men, with the logic being that, if X-Men merchandise is released, it serves as promotional material for another company's film franchise. This is why you now see very little X-Men *anything*. If that buyout deal doesn't go through, don't expect to see more X-Merchandise than you do currently. It's a pretty sickening situation for an X-Fan like myself...don't get me started.
I might have believed you...except for the continuing announcements of X-Men statues from various companies.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:08 PM   #17
NuSoard
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

I hope I'm wrong and that you two are right. Indeed, there are a lot of X-Statues in the pipeline, but the fact remains that related merchandise is all but non-existent outside of this rather exclusive, expensive corner of the market. Try to find the 90's series on Blu-ray, for example. Maybe I'm paranoid, but that's usually the first answer that comes to mind when I set out to find some particular X-Men-related thing only to find that it doesn't exist, was cancelled, or can't be ordered within the U.S.
NuSoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:35 PM   #18
Tushar
Hellboy

You're not paranoid. This definitely did happen around 2015:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/...dising-problem
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davegon...merchandising/

And there is barely any merch based on the X-movies to be found, which, I assume, giver Marvel an even smaller slice of the profits than X-comics merch.

But, they seem to have come to their senses after that.

The new deal with Marvel is being PC to a fault, and maybe the sexy statues don't line up with that. Even the artists now draw these characters to look more masculine and less voluptuous. In fact, the most feminine character art I've seen lately is Peter Parker.
Tushar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:17 PM   #19
Kicksplode
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?
Adamantium Member

They definitely were putting a damper on X-Men merch for a couple years, but they've mostly eased up on that over the past year or so. The FF are still basically MIA everywhere, but hopefully that will also change as the Fox deal goes through and the comic series comes back.
Kicksplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:32 AM   #20
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoard View Post
I hope I'm wrong and that you two are right. Indeed, there are a lot of X-Statues in the pipeline, but the fact remains that related merchandise is all but non-existent outside of this rather exclusive, expensive corner of the market. Try to find the 90's series on Blu-ray, for example. Maybe I'm paranoid, but that's usually the first answer that comes to mind when I set out to find some particular X-Men-related thing only to find that it doesn't exist, was cancelled, or can't be ordered within the U.S.
General/mass-produced merchandise is one thing, but we're here on StatueForum.com discussing statues. There has been a steady stream of X-Men statues, even if the output is centered on the famous/popular characters.

Again, I think what's happening with Marvel bishoujos is that Disney/Marvel no longer wants young-looking characters in sexy costumes or poses. I understand the rationale because they don't want their characters to be associated with pedophilia. There will still be young characters like Squirrel Girl, but they obviously made her cute rather than sexy.

Cute:

Too much: