Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Blizzard / Weta

Old 04-15-2017, 02:52 AM   #161
silentwinter92
U talkin' to me?

Very happy with this piece, love the anime, art direction and series as a whole. Haven't seen the movie yet but this was such a good portrayal of the series i had to geddit.

Both head sculpts are awesome, especially the mechanical head. The porcelain skin and the hair texture have been well represented textually lending respectable contrast to the character. The hair pin is a translucent plastic/acrylic material. It feels cheap, but it doesn't take much away from this piece. The head stand used to support the extra head sculpt also has some nice detailed etching, might be made of the same material as the base.

I do however have some issues with this piece.My top end of the kimono fabric underneath the the collar has not been sewn sturdily, the cloth is quite fragile and might be prone to wear and tear over time. There was also a minor paint transfer from the black lacquered base to the tatami mat, but this is not noticeable as it is covered by the kimono.
One thing people have to watch out for is the tatami mat. As it seems to be made out of real straw, it is prone to dust and will discolor over time.
silentwinter92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 03:34 AM   #162
jonwes
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

My kimono was rough, too, but I just put that down to the fact that it's covered up by the head. Considering the fact that you shouldn't have to remove the collar TOO many times during the life of the statue I think it should be okay? I guess it depends on how much you use the light.

I didn't even think of the mat actually beings straw??!? I just assumed it was sculpted into the base. I'll have to give it another look.

I know what you're saying about the clear hair pin. I think it looks cool since it's screen accurate. BUT, I do wonder if it was a little clearer if it would look better. I wonder if a coat of clear coat would make it look a little clearer and shinier. Hmmm.
jonwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:21 AM   #163
jonwes

I got the batteries in the statue (apparently the info is in the inside flap of the box if you need it - 2 x A76 / LR44 1.5v) so I thought I'd take some more pics with the light on.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:42 AM   #164
goto
Mephisto

Looks very nice
Gratulations!
goto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:23 PM   #165
gokuvegeta
Kindly Asked To Leave

im still trying to decide on major for those who got it can you chime in , worth the $460 price tag, how is face in person?
gokuvegeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:31 PM   #166
jonwes

Quote:
Originally Posted by goto View Post
Looks very nice
Gratulations!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokuvegeta View Post
im still trying to decide on major for those who got it can you chime in , worth the $460 price tag, how is face in person?
I've got a pre-order in with Entertainment Earth for her. Just waiting for it to show up.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:04 AM   #167
jonwes

I had this on preorder, but Sunday I was at C2E2, and Weta was there and had the Major statue with them! So I was able to grab it early. I really like this statue a lot. I think the likeness for Scarlett is really great. I have noticed from certain angles in photos her eyes can seem too wide or something, but in person when viewed it looks fine. The suit, of course, is not screen accurate. It's almost like a maquette for production in that way. I actually like the look of this, the practical suit WETA created, more than the final smooth film version. So I'm very happy. The destroyed Geisha bits are nicely done.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:41 AM   #168
ukshaun
Hercules

'The suit, of course, is not screen accurate. It's almost like a maquette for production in that way.'

I like it this way also. It looks like the actual outfit made for SJ for the film without the after FX.
The translucent resin Weta appear to have used works really well, both on skin and outfit. The finish looks better than all my painted statues.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:09 AM   #169
gokuvegeta
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwes View Post
I had this on preorder, but Sunday I was at C2E2, and Weta was there and had the Major statue with them! So I was able to grab it early. I really like this statue a lot. I think the likeness for Scarlett is really great. I have noticed from certain angles in photos her eyes can seem too wide or something, but in person when viewed it looks fine. The suit, of course, is not screen accurate. It's almost like a maquette for production in that way. I actually like the look of this, the practical suit WETA created, more than the final smooth film version. So I'm very happy. The destroyed Geisha bits are nicely done.

did you also see the geisha with her at the event? how did they look paired together?
gokuvegeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:08 PM   #170
Max Shreck
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Really nice pieces. These really entice me. Might just pull the trigger.
Max Shreck is offline   Reply With Quote