Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 02-20-2012, 01:49 AM   #61
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
I don't. The fact that so many people in this thread thought that it was a funny headline leads me to believe that they believe using a racial slur against Asians is funny but one against blacks and Hispanics is a huge offense.
I apologize if that's the impression I gave, TC. I used to teach minorities, and had nothing but respect for their families, and still do. I think the "humor" comes from the fact that such a statement made it "to press" more so than because it can be construed as a racist comment, given the circumstances. My guess is the vast majority of people who commented feel something similar.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:55 AM   #62
Mean Green
Fantomah

These are professionals who should know better. You go to work and call someone a racial slur, you're gonna get disciplined. This person either thought it was funny or was too incompetent to be a professional writer.

Up in arms? Nobody's calling for a boycott of ESPN. Seriously, if it had been the N word, who would be here laughing and saying, "grow the hell up and don't get all up in arms" over someone calling you a bad name. Double standard is right.
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:58 AM   #63
Mean Green
Fantomah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post
I apologize if that's the impression I gave, TC. I used to teach minorities, and had nothing but respect for their families, and still do. I think the "humor" comes from the fact that such a statement made it "to press" more so than because it can be construed as a racist comment, given the circumstances. My guess is the vast majority of people who commented feel something similar.
I'm not mad, sir. Just trying to express that the word is not ok.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:58 AM   #64
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
These are professionals who should know better. You go to work and call someone a racial slur, you're gonna get disciplined. This person either thought it was funny or was too incompetent to be a professional writer.

Up in arms? Nobody's calling for a boycott of ESPN. Seriously, if it had been the N word, who would be here laughing and saying, "grow the hell up and don't get all up in arms" over someone calling you a bad name. Double standard is right.
i most certainly would, the simple fact that it's refered to as" the n word" pisses me off probably as much as Sharpton gets pissed off whenever he sees a white person not giving him reperations. a word is a word, they have no power unless you give them power and as long as we tiptoe around the "special" races for fear of hurting their feelings we shall always be harming them far more then helping
MrYac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:59 AM   #65
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
I'm not mad, sir. Just trying to express that the word is not ok.
Did anyone say it's appropriate, though?
My students didn't even call me "Sir". Don't do that.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:04 AM   #66
Mean Green
Fantomah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
i most certainly would, the simple fact that it's refered to as" the n word" pisses me off probably as much as Sharpton gets pissed off whenever he sees a white person not giving him reperations. a word is a word, they have no power unless you give them power and as long as we tiptoe around the "special" races for fear of hurting their feelings we shall always be harming them far more then helping
I won't use it as long as it has a negative meaning to it. Not using words which have been historically hateful is hardly tiptoeing for fear of hurting someone's feelings. "special" races? Ok...
Old 02-20-2012, 02:09 AM   #67
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I have to believe this was intentional. If not, somebody didn't deserve the job they had if they didn't see this coming. Either way, the easy choice was to cut this person loose. The headline did not represent ESPN as they would like, the action they took did.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:13 AM   #68
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
I won't use it as long as it has a negative meaning to it. Not using words which have been historically hateful is hardly tiptoeing for fear of hurting someone's feelings. "special" races? Ok...
then i certainly hope you don't ever call anybody a name that might hurt their feelings. anyway i apologise for getting involved in this discussion, nobodys views will change one way or the other, Lin doesn't care, the guy lost his job all is right with the world again
MrYac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:14 AM   #69
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
I have to believe this was intentional. If not, somebody didn't deserve the job they had if they didn't see this coming. Either way, the easy choice was to cut this person loose. The headline did not represent ESPN as they would like, the action they took did.
Ultimately, the editor dropped the ball on this... I think he's who was suspended, right? The writer definitely deserved a reprimand, though...up to or including the loss of his job.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:21 AM   #70
Mean Green
Fantomah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
then i certainly hope you don't ever call anybody a name that might hurt their feelings. anyway i apologise for getting involved in this discussion, nobodys views will change one way or the other, Lin doesn't care, the guy lost his job all is right with the world again
Yeah it's all the same...