Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

Old 01-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
Zangief
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Gran Turismo 5

No threads on GT5 so I thought I'd make one!

Any one playing this game?

I think it's pretty good but the navigation of the menus and disorganization is frustrating me to no end and really compromising my love for this game!

Like the guy on IGN said, it's a 10/10 simulator wrapped up in a 5/10 game, and I wholeheartedly agree with him.
Zangief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
abarron
Batman

Been looking forward to this for ages.I just can't afford it right now
abarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
El Diablo
Doom Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangief View Post
No threads on GT5 so I thought I'd make one!

Any one playing this game?

I think it's pretty good but the navigation of the menus and disorganization is frustrating me to no end and really compromising my love for this game!

Like the guy on IGN said, it's a 10/10 simulator wrapped up in a 5/10 game, and I wholeheartedly agree with him.
that pretty much sums it it for me as well. The developers have not moved with the times at all. There's a great simulator in there somewhere but it's hidden under so many layers of sh!t it's unreal. Oh and one of my biggest niggles with this series still hasn't been sorted, I've seen the lengths they go to to record the vehicles engine sounds. So why do they with every series still manage to get them sounding like hairdryers I think they should of cut the number of cars in half and concentrated on making a decent game to go along with the excellent simulator and car models ( what's most frustrating is that half the cars you'd never want to try anyway )
Personally I'd take forza 3 over this.
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
Zangief

Yea man, right there with you, I actually bought Forza 3 at the Best Buy Boxing day sale for $20 but I had to return it cause there are no racing wheels for the 360? Whats up with that? I can't play a simulator, or even an arcade racing game without a wheel so for now I'm just playing GT5
Old 01-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
El Diablo
Doom Patrol

There is! I have one that works on both PS3 and 360 it's top quality as well. Though not cheap.

See HERE
Old 01-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
Frinky
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangief View Post
Yea man, right there with you, I actually bought Forza 3 at the Best Buy Boxing day sale for $20 but I had to return it cause there are no racing wheels for the 360? Whats up with that? I can't play a simulator, or even an arcade racing game without a wheel so for now I'm just playing GT5
Microsoft makes a wheel for the 360. I bought it for $70 shipped on ebay for Forza 3. The only problem with the wheel was a "dead zone" amost like lag with it.

I tried a bunch of sensitivity settings, but i could'nt get it to work right.

If you do buy it, buy this stand from Home Depot (http://www.amazon.com/Ridgid-AC99331...uct/B002R59ZE8) to clamp it on. They have a new style at HD, this is the older one.
Frinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:34 PM   #7
Zangief

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
There is! I have one that works on both PS3 and 360 it's top quality as well. Though not cheap.

See HERE
I originally wanted to get the Fanatec wheel, heard nothing but good things about it and almost took the plunge but I am VERY impatient, and the next order of GT2 wheels with the clubsport peddles would have been released in February and I just can't wait that long.
Frinky, Microsoft used to make that wheel but they stopped production on it and now I can't find any substitutes up here in Canada.

I ended up going with the driving force GT from Best Buy and its very awesome with GT5, but I also got NFS: Hot pursuit, and the dead zone in that game is pretty bad, almost unplayable.

Hey Diablo, does the 6-speed shifter work with forza 3 or are you forced to go sequential?
Old 01-06-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
El Diablo
Doom Patrol

yep the shifter works, even the clutch does!
btw best to stick with the standard pedals imo, the clubsport ones look nicer but after looking at some of the reviews it seems the clutch pedal action on the standard one is much more realistic (and it certainly seems that way)
yeah the wait is a killer, I got the turbo s version when it first came out.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
Zangief

LOL, I just went to their site and now the only thing you can buy is the wheel by itself. How did they go from not having any stock to suddenly selling out? Oh well, I'll stick with the DFGT for now.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #10
DarkKni9hT
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

I got GT5 for Christmas and for the most part I think it rocks. Still the best driving simulator out there IMO. The depth of cars and racing options is just what I'd expect from Polyphony (especially after waiting more than four years for its release).

Couple of issues I do have though. First off is the stupidity of the paint chips you get with your cars. Why is it just limited to one application per colour? This may sound like a petty thing but think about it. If you're going to include painting as an option (at long last) why make it so limiting? If you've got the paint, you've got the paint. Seems like excess coding to not just leave the colours available once they're achieved. Also, I kinda like to have all my cars themed with a similar paintjob, something I started with NFSMW. It irks me that I can finally paint my GT cars but I am limited to having just the one of each colour.

Secondly is the rims fiasco. Premium cars can update rims but standard cars can't. WTF?? Seems to me that's another piece of useless coding and completely stupid to boot. One of the most common things people do to their "standard" cars is to change the rims cuz they can't afford performance upgrades or they just want their wheels to be unique. It's also strange that this is a complete change from prvious GT iterations where you could always change the wheels on any vehicle. Dumb and unneccesary and frustrating.

Then comes the classification of the cars. Standard vs premium. Where do they make the cut? A '69 Camaro is a premiom car but a '70 Charger is not? Why the difference? Not a huge deal except that it goes back to the rims thing.

FInally is the useless car category. I know GT is all about automotive history and stuff but I am sick to death of racing my ass off to win a 22HP car that I will never, ever drive. I'm also sick of having to put 70000 cr or more into a bloody Vitz to make it competitive enough to win a race worth 6000 cr in prize money. All that to race a car noone has ever or will ever really race. Bugs the crap out of me.
DarkKni9hT is offline   Reply With Quote