Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-25-2019, 12:40 PM   #321
Frayhor
Sinister Six

I'm all in favour for more diversity in all the kind of existing medias, but Domino was never "white" in the comics like we say commonly for a human, she was white colored skin like a clown with a black circle around her eye, so it had nothing to do with blackwashing since Domino skin is pure white and "white" people in the real world are in reality what is called flesh colored. They wanted this actress ok no problem for me, I know the actress of name, I never saw her anywhere, but I heard she was awesome in the film. But do it like Zoe Saldana with Gamora and her green skin, you make up her with pure white color with a black circled eye and everything is cool.

For me, there is zero difference between these two cases and I would gladly have gone to see this movie with Zazie Beetz in the role of Domino, if they hadn't ruined my favorite female comics character by changing completely her appearance. Maybe it is stupid for a lot of people but I care for my childhood heroes, I want them as I discovered them and loved them and It makes me really mad against Fox, doing this stupid choice which could have been easily avoided , since in my version you kept the same actress, you still promote the diversity and you remain faithful to the comics.

But at least, I'm totally aware that it is because of this movie that I finally got my Domino PF, so to stay positive, there is still one bright side in this mess.

Disclaimer : I am french, I'm interested in America's culture but I clearly do not know/understand everything about all the topics including sensitive topics like this one, so if I've been hurting the feelings of anyone or appeared mean or violent in my words, I sincerely apologize, It definitely wasn't the point, and don't hesitate to explain me what I have been doing wrong, so that I learn and never do it again, thank you.
Frayhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:05 PM   #322
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frayhor View Post
I'm all in favour for more diversity in all the kind of existing medias, but Domino was never "white" in the comics like we say commonly for a human, she was white colored skin like a clown with a black circle around her eye, so it had nothing to do with blackwashing since Domino skin is pure white and "white" people in the real world are in reality what is called flesh colored. They wanted this actress ok no problem for me, I know the actress of name, I never saw her anywhere, but I heard she was awesome in the film. But do it like Zoe Saldana with Gamora and her green skin, you make up her with pure white color with a black circled eye and everything is cool.

For me, there is zero difference between these two cases and I would gladly have gone to see this movie with Zazie Beetz in the role of Domino, if they hadn't ruined my favorite female comics character by changing completely her appearance. Maybe it is stupid for a lot of people but I care for my childhood heroes, I want them as I discovered them and loved them and It makes me really mad against Fox, doing this stupid choice which could have been easily avoided , since in my version you kept the same actress, you still promote the diversity and you remain faithful to the comics.

But at least, I'm totally aware that it is because of this movie that I finally got my Domino PF, so to stay positive, there is still one bright side in this mess.

Disclaimer : I am french, I'm interested in America's culture but I clearly do not know/understand everything about all the topics including sensitive topics like this one, so if I've been hurting the feelings of anyone or appeared mean or violent in my words, I sincerely apologize, It definitely wasn't the point, and don't hesitate to explain me what I have been doing wrong, so that I learn and never do it again, thank you.
The easiest way to define these issues is Doylist vs. Watsonian interpretations of characters.

Doylist focus on real world issue and how characters/actors relate to that.

Watsonians focus on the fictional world and how adaptations relate to that.

Fans are almost always Watsonian in nature because we care about these characters. They are not promotional props to sell to us, they have depth we've come to love and appreciate.

Doylist rarely ever have this sort of emotional investment so changes don't bother them. Hence the divide when fans are often labeled in negative terms when casting is done. So a Doylist hears "fans unhappy with [insert racial/gender/sexuality/etc.] actor" casting and assume it is rooted in bigotry rather than people being invested in source material.

Think about every statue reveal of a known character. What do we all immediately do here? We examine and break down what we like or dislike about often as it relates to interpretations and expectation of a characters appearance. Imagine if Domino was wearing bright pink shirt and tie, had green skin, was holding a flaming sword and had three arms. Fans would be livid because it doesn't match the image they have of her, not because of any sort of bigotry against any group.

Vous êtes gentil mon ami français.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:18 PM   #323
Frayhor
Sinister Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
The easiest way to define these issues is Doylist vs. Watsonian interpretations of characters.

Doylist focus on real world issue and how characters/actors relate to that.

Watsonians focus on the fictional world and how adaptations relate to that.

Fans are almost always Watsonian in nature because we care about these characters. They are not promotional props to sell to us, they have depth we've come to love and appreciate.

Doylist rarely ever have this sort of emotional investment so changes don't bother them. Hence the divide when fans are often labeled in negative terms when casting is done. So a Doylist hears "fans unhappy with [insert racial/gender/sexuality/etc.] actor" casting and assume it is rooted in bigotry rather than people being invested in source material.

Think about every statue reveal of a known character. What do we all immediately do here? We examine and break down what we like or dislike about often as it relates to interpretations and expectation of a characters appearance. Imagine if Domino was wearing bright pink shirt and tie, had green skin, was holding a flaming sword and had three arms. Fans would be livid because it doesn't match the image they have of her, not because of any sort of bigotry against any group.

I totally understand your statement and fully agree with it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
Vous êtes gentil mon ami français.
Merci beaucoup, vous aussi.
Et merci d'avoir répondu (And thank you for answering my post )
Old 02-25-2019, 02:54 PM   #324
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxgod View Post
Movie Domino is a color washing attempt.
What i dont understand is that they colorwashed a character that has non human skin features.

It would be just as stupid to turn Mystique from blue to a person of color for the sake of divirsity.
Relatively speaking Domino is a nobody, using an attractive bi-racial women effectively brought more attention to the character. A smart move imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechirico7 View Post
Movie Domino was awesome.
Yeah i loved her.
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:58 PM   #325
Indomitus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsinwing1989 View Post
Relatively speaking Domino is a nobody, using an attractive bi-racial women effectively brought more attention to the character. A smart move imo.

Yeah i loved her.
That would be a NO on the armpit hair warrior Beetz.

Indomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:13 PM   #326
Mepaphoros
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

She's slamming with or without the armpit hair...I never even saw it until you guys mentioned it!
Mepaphoros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:18 PM   #327
Frayhor
Sinister Six

Seriously guys ???? A #armpithair gate now ?
Old 02-25-2019, 03:23 PM   #328
Indomitus

And to add fuel to the fire...

I don't see how this character:

Or even Sideshows version:

was this pick for the movie.

Especially if we are considering trying to match a character.

Fuel fuel fuel.....
Old 02-25-2019, 03:24 PM   #329
Indomitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frayhor View Post
Seriously guys ???? A #armpithair gate now ?
I have heard of debate on how one feels about bedding a woman of free range hair.....
Old 02-25-2019, 03:27 PM   #330
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indomitus View Post
That would be a NO on the armpit hair warrior Beetz.

Lol she’s still attractive imo, i didn’t even know she had armpit hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mepaphoros View Post
She's slamming with or without the armpit hair...I never even saw it until you guys mentioned it!
Neither did i, indomitus is always out to try and ruin it for everyone, he is bad news.
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote