Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 06-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #121
statuemonger
Sailor Moon

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by leplant View Post
Price gouging exclusives, and trying to create buzz with extreme limited edition pieces. A number of years ago, GG did their level best to make their products and company irrelevant in the collectible world using the same tactics. They staged a noteworthy comeback with the high quality, and affordable Sucker Punch line, but there is no rear view mirror on this car. The price on this beautiful statue is indefensible. I am sorry, I know inflation has run amok, but that price is ridiculous. A plea to GG from a collector who stuck with you through the good, and the bad. Please don''t run the train off the rail on an ego fueled rampage again.
I have several GG pieces and they are all great to include Amber who was a bit over priced but a great statue. This however is stupid, I really hope it bites them in the back side very quickly.
statuemonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #122
AstroWho
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper245 View Post
Congrats are in order to all that secured on of these but I don't know why GG could not have just put this up on their site as a regular SDCC preorder like Sideshow does with their SDCC exclusives. Having to be a Premier Guild member to order is BS imo and alienates anyone who isn't already a member but still might have wanted this statue. I am just not a fan of having to jump through unnecessary hopes just to place an order. A non member's money should spend just as well as a member's money for something like this. I wasn't planning to order this but it's the principle that has me a bit irritated.

I think it's fair that you had to be a Member to buy this. Otherwise, what incentive would there be to join?
If they didn't have all these Exclusives all the time, I would Never have joined. But they have so many Exclusives Every year. It makes it worth joining just for that reason.
AstroWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #123
travis
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statuemonger View Post
I have several GG pieces and they are all great to include Amber who was a bit over priced but a great statue. This however is stupid, I really hope it bites them in the back side very quickly.
Not if the ES is 100. There is Big love for these SP girls
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #124
statuemonger
Sailor Moon

Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
If they priced these at $300-400 they would have sold out even sooner and more money would be going to resellers not Gentle Giant. This way they are at least cutting out the middle man (ie-reseller) a little bit and probably gauging demand for the regular line.
The resellers as you put it will just ask for more, further inflating the cost of this item. These companies cannot play guessing games with their statues saying well it might be worth way more than we charged down the road. Even though we are making a tidy profit, let’s raise the price so we can get as much from it as possible and not miss out on the reseller’s market gains. That is not business, that is greed. You set the price based on the customer, your cost margin and what type of profit percent you need to maintain your business and grow and a reasonable rate. Last time I checked these companies were not going under when their prices were more reasonable a few years ago, this has nothing to do with anything less than sheer greed. I am quite surprised by the lack of consumerism on this forum. I guess everyone must be rich that are supporting these companies, no other reason I can see other than that, wait perhaps they have stock in these companies, LOL.

John M.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #125
travis
A.I.M.

Quote:
The resellers as you put it will just ask for more, further inflating the cost of this item. These companies cannot play guessing games with their statues saying well it might be worth way more than we charged down the road. Even though we are making a tidy profit, let’s raise the price so we can get as much from it as possible and not miss out on the reseller’s market gains. That is not business, that is greed. You set the price based on the customer, your cost margin and what type of profit percent you need to maintain your business and grow and a reasonable rate. Last time I checked these companies were not going under when their prices were more reasonable a few years ago, this has nothing to do with anything less than sheer greed. I am quite surprised by the lack of consumerism on this forum. I guess everyone must be rich that are supporting these companies, no other reason I can see other than that, wait perhaps they have stock in these companies, LOL.

John M.
if you think business and greed don't go hand in hand then you've got a lot to learn
Old 06-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #126
statuemonger
Sailor Moon

ES 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Not if the ES is 100. There iis Big love for these SP girls
If this is a re-paint of the non-variant then this is not limited to 100 from a sales point of view. If they make 1000-3000 of the other then you are very wrong my friend. Changing the paint job would be a negligible cost at best, especially if there is nothing different about the sculpt and paint lay out. The cost would be in preproduction and the sculpture itself, changing colors would be very inexpensive unless there were numerous variants.

John M.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #127
statuemonger
Sailor Moon

Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
if you think business and greed don't go hand in hand then you've got a lot to learn
Many companies make a nice profit and drive their business via many other means beyond greed. If you build it they will come, provide a great product at a fair price for the consumer/company and you will be limitless in your profits if there is a demand for them. That is actually how a sound business structure or map is created, success is near a guarantee. If you are speaking about greed period, I realize it exists and need very little lessons in it. Exhibit "A", this product line, LOL.

John M.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #128
travis
A.I.M.

Quote:
If this is a re-paint of the non-variant then this is not limited to 100 from a sales point of view. If they make 1000-3000 of the other then you are very wrong my friend. Changing the paint job would be a negligible cost at best, especially if there is nothing different about the sculpt and paint lay out. The cost would be in preproduction and the sculpture itself, changing colors would be very inexpensive unless there were numerous variants.

John M.
Life stinks. I personally don't like it either but it is what it is. I don't think some cars are worth $200,000 or even a million but someone out there is willing to pay. Some folks like myself think these are ferraris of the statue world and GG knows they did good on it. A Porsche cayman cost 50k but add every extra and it becomes a 90+k car
Old 06-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #129
Vallos
Jubilee

For those that bought this... what was the number one aspect that spurred you to order it? Was it the edition size, or the quality of the sculpt?
Vallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #130
travis
A.I.M.

Quote:
Many companies make a nice profit and drive their business via many other means beyond greed. If you build it they will come, provide a great product at a fair price for the consumer/company and you will be limitless in your profits if there is a demand for them. That is actually how a sound business structure or map is created, success is near a guarantee. If you are speaking about greed period, I realize it exists and need very little lessons in it. Exhibit "A", this product line, LOL.

John M.
Controlled greed is good business. Please explain to me then why it sold out or will sell out.