Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

Old 06-30-2015, 02:22 AM   #1
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Unhappy Are dedicated handheld consoles dead ?

I've got just about every handheld / portable gaming console made. From some of the early Game and Watch's to the latest Vita and 3DS and loads in between (still love my Tapwave Zodiac and Gizmondo's too). Something about portable gaming on a dedicated little machine really appeals to me.

But with smart phones and free gaming apps, it looks like the dedicated handheld is pretty much dead. Such a shame.

Vita had so much promise and some great games and real potential (Uncharted, Killzone Mercenaries). Same with the 3DS.

Now it seems the only games you can get for either are really obscure Japanese anime games or another bl__dy lego movie game.

I've heard RE Resurrection 2 is coming out on Vita which was a ray of hope but I've not seen it's release yet and I'm worried that'll get shelved too.

So sad
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:43 AM   #2
Y3E
Gen 13

People like simple games on handheld, which is why I think mobile phone games are doing so well.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:31 AM   #3
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Over 200 million sales between the DS/3DS says that handheld gaming isn't dead. Just like I did, it's likely time you come to realize that maybe it just isn't for you anymore.

Phones are more accessible for many people, but I don't consider the majority of games on the systems actually 'games'. Most mobile titles are nothing more than brief time wasters to me. Can't imagine someone who actively looks forward to playing a lengthy RPG on a touchscreen phone as opposed to a dedicated handheld system.
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
BurningRage
Inhumans

There's lots of great 3DS games. Vita is dead though. I only use it for fighting games.
BurningRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:44 AM   #5
Macethy
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Bought a VITA back in November last year it's been gathering dust since then. Pretty much try the 'free' PSN games each month but don't ever finish them.
Macethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:10 PM   #6
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

new generation of gamers are used to games on phones and tablets so why drop cash on a hand held with those do games along with everything else you could need.

so they cater to the gamers of the current or new gen rather then us old folks...
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:21 PM   #7
snappahead
Producer
Producer

As long as Nintendo has Pokemon, their handhelds will never die. Sony has never had a lot of success in most places with their handhelds. They've made an incredible piece of kit in the Vita, but it doesn't have Pokemon, so it's dying.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:51 PM   #8
BurningRage
Inhumans

PSP sold great though. The high price of memory cards was the biggest problem for Vita.
BurningRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:35 PM   #9
El Diablo
Doom Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidgit View Post
I've got just about every handheld / portable gaming console made. From some of the early Game and Watch's to the latest Vita and 3DS and loads in between (still love my Tapwave Zodiac and Gizmondo's too). Something about portable gaming on a dedicated little machine really appeals to me.

But with smart phones and free gaming apps, it looks like the dedicated handheld is pretty much dead. Such a shame.

Vita had so much promise and some great games and real potential (Uncharted, Killzone Mercenaries). Same with the 3DS.

Now it seems the only games you can get for either are really obscure Japanese anime games or another bl__dy lego movie game.

I've heard RE Resurrection 2 is coming out on Vita which was a ray of hope but I've not seen it's release yet and I'm worried that'll get shelved too.

So sad
I'm pretty much exactly the same as you nidgit, always loved hand held gaming just something about it has always appealed to me. Got a fair selection of handhelds myself also, my favourite being the pc engine gt.
I do think sadly they are pretty much dead due to phones/tablets, though vita is an amazing machine and it actually has quite a few great games though most of them are indie titles. Real shame but it looks like sony has pretty much abandoned it
I think they only releases handheld wise you'll see now will be from Nintendo.
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:16 AM   #10
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
People like simple games on handheld, which is why I think mobile phone games are doing so well.
Let's face it, most app games are free for a reason. Plus the experience just can't compare to a dedicated gaming console (even a handheld one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
Over 200 million sales between the DS/3DS says that handheld gaming isn't dead. Just like I did, it's likely time you come to realize that maybe it just isn't for you anymore.

Phones are more accessible for many people, but I don't consider the majority of games on the systems actually 'games'. Most mobile titles are nothing more than brief time wasters to me. Can't imagine someone who actively looks forward to playing a lengthy RPG on a touchscreen phone as opposed to a dedicated handheld system.
Agree on 'quality' of mobile / tablet games, but I'm not sure how much life is left in the 3DS either. I haven't bought a game for that console in years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningRage View Post
There's lots of great 3DS games. Vita is dead though. I only use it for fighting games.
There's some great games on both but there hasn't been a new (great) game in ages. Give us another Tomb Raider or MGS or something !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macethy View Post
Bought a VITA back in November last year it's been gathering dust since then. Pretty much try the 'free' PSN games each month but don't ever finish them.
I'll admit there are a handful of Vita games I've downloaded and loved, but they have a very short play time and a lot of them are dodgy ports as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
new generation of gamers are used to games on phones and tablets so why drop cash on a hand held with those do games along with everything else you could need.

so they cater to the gamers of the current or new gen rather then us old folks...
Then I say curse the young generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappahead View Post
As long as Nintendo has Pokemon, their handhelds will never die. Sony has never had a lot of success in most places with their handhelds. They've made an incredible piece of kit in the Vita, but it doesn't have Pokemon, so it's dying.
I hate Pokémon. And Lego games. And I'm not a fan of those obscure Japanese games either. Sony has some great IP to work with like RE, Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Killzone . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningRage View Post
PSP sold great though. The high price of memory cards was the biggest problem for Vita.
Memory cards are pretty cheap considering you only really need one. It was the lack of any real software support that killed it (which seems to be a Sony tradition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
I'm pretty much exactly the same as you nidgit, always loved hand held gaming just something about it has always appealed to me. Got a fair selection of handhelds myself also, my favourite being the pc engine gt.
I do think sadly they are pretty much dead due to phones/tablets, though vita is an amazing machine and it actually has quite a few great games though most of them are indie titles. Real shame but it looks like sony has pretty much abandoned it
I think they only releases handheld wise you'll see now will be from Nintendo.
Love the PC Engine GT too. And the Neo Geo Pocket Color. Love the Gizmondo as well. OK, it's got next to no games but I really like the ones it does have and the whole sordid history behind it
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote