Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 11-07-2015, 12:45 PM   #121
StringKeyRhythm
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
overall looks awesome but I don't like how he looks to be just plopped down on some kind of cloud. theres no motion to the smoke, theres no trail from the back of the glider - looks like its going to be a pretty short piece as well
You covered just about everything that didn't sit right with me.
StringKeyRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 02:48 PM   #122
Mr. Machismo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
overall looks awesome but I don't like how he looks to be just plopped down on some kind of cloud. theres no motion to the smoke, theres no trail from the back of the glider - looks like its going to be a pretty short piece as well
Yeah...no motion to the piece. It just comes off as Goblin sitting on a static cloud.

Crazy, went from loving the sketch to really wanting to this, to having no desire at all. Sculpt just doesn't work.
Mr. Machismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 03:03 PM   #123
SONICobra
Batman

on a positive note the new coh looks awesome
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 03:48 PM   #124
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Great points SONICobra, I just saw this and agree 100%. I think having a smoke trail and having him higher in the air would be a big improvement. He's arguably a top 3 Marvel villain, he should probably sit the highest above all the other Spidey rogues especially since he's shown being midair.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:57 PM   #125
Lockdown
Mephisto

I like the whole sculpt and the glider, but I thinking the explosion should be part of the roof top or brick wall like he is flying thru it.
This damaged brick wall or roof top can give this height feeling to the explosion base as shown now.
Lockdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:19 PM   #126
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Machismo View Post
Yeah...no motion to the piece. It just comes off as Goblin sitting on a static cloud.

Crazy, went from loving the sketch to really wanting to this, to having no desire at all. Sculpt just doesn't work.
I think you mean concept. The sculpt is professionally and wonderfully done....anyone can tell that. But you would prefer a different base or rather something that expresses more motion to the base. If that is the case, it is a solid point.

What some have to remember is that XM is trying to keep the height of this statue manageable for those trying to fit it in a besta or similar cabinet....AND....these statues are heavy...so maybe the weight of the statue is why it is the way it is. That's a guestimation...mind you...but probable.

I do agree that I would like to see some more motion or smoke trail that can give the illusion of movement. As it is now, it kind of has a look of a glider teeter-tottering on a rocky mound...so to speak.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:11 AM   #127
Peedi
The Secret Six

I'd prefer the classic costume but XM did take this costume directly from the comics, doesn't look like they changed anything at all.

But they did take liberties with the glider. It's slightly off putting, especially its flatness and the curve of the outer edges, but not a deal breaker.

I really dig the new head, though.

Not a big fan of the base. I think something else could work better...piece of a building and smoke trail, or the smoke mixed with a battle damaged building...just something else.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:03 AM   #128
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Wow so many not liking this. I like it best GG ive seen. Sure the base could be even better. Lets see what XM can do.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:11 AM   #129
jansen
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

The new face rocks!

How about if the base was a corner section of the George Washington Bridge?
jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:16 PM   #130
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Seems by far the majority of concern is around the explosion base.

I, myself, really like the look of this piece. Like others, I don't care much for the big bubble. In addressing an earlier comment, I don't think XM is all that concerned with fitting their pieces into standard sized cases and I believe this piece needs some height.

I don't believe however that a smoke trail would be possible to suspend this piece. The trail would be too thin and this piece is too large. So...I don't know the solution. I think one place to start would be to have the glider wings tilted downward as they are in the comics to give some slight distance between the glider and the explosion bubble.
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote