Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-28-2017, 11:48 PM   #1101
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetalSpike View Post
None of us that bought the Wolf Predator LSB wanted one of his mandibles to be a separate part - but that's the way it was delivered - complete with huge offset crease.

More irony - that was the DIRECT result of them choosing vinyl/PVC as the material instead of polystone. Once they had paid out the expense for the metal mold, the mandible kept breaking off when the plastic casts were pulled out - so they THEN made the decision to cast that mandible separately and glue it in place.

This ALL comes back to the sculpt - as it always SHOULD. Art direction needs to carefully consider the casting material, and design accordingly, so these things don't become a concern further down the line.

Interesting. Swampy is what I’d call a 360 piece. It has interesting aspects from every angle, so casting the portrait as a separate piece with a seam showing from any angle is unacceptable. But again, that creates an enormous packaging challenge.

I’m really curious how this is going to work out. I suspect most will take a wait and see attitude, resulting in a small ES on the EX.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:50 PM   #1102
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Looking through the pictures again, I am just not buying that this thing is so fragile that breakage concerns is what drove them to make this decision. IMO, they probably didn’t think they could sell enough of these at $1200.

Though I have to say, looking at the 71 Prime 1 photos of their piece, I’m impressed, but there is no mention of the materials used on that one on SS site.

Also, would someone let the white knight know the ravioli is ready?
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:55 PM   #1103
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
Looking through the pictures again, I am just not buying that this thing is so fragile that breakage concerns is what drove them to make this decision.
I’m surprised. Looking through the pics again, I came away with the exact opposite opinion.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:59 PM   #1104
Parallax
Nightwing

Looking at in person I can guarantee it would arrive in multiple broken pieces. Look at the Arthas piece. It was done in polystone and they were arriving broken left and right, and that's still not as complex as some parts of Swamp Thing.
Parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:59 PM   #1105
Divinesorrow
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
Looking through the pictures again, I am just not buying that this thing is so fragile that breakage concerns is what drove them to make this decision. IMO, they probably didn’t think they could sell enough of these at $1200.

Though I have to say, looking at the 71 Prime 1 photos of their piece, I’m impressed, but there is no mention of the materials used on that one on SS site.

Also, would someone let the white knight know the ravioli is ready?
I feel the same way. It's doesn't look any more fragile than some hair we've seen in the past.
Divinesorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:03 AM   #1106
HeavyMetalSpike
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
Interesting. Swampy is what I’d call a 360 piece. It has interesting aspects from every angle, so casting the portrait as a separate piece with a seam showing from any angle is unacceptable. But again, that creates an enormous packaging challenge.

I’m really curious how this is going to work out. I suspect most will take a wait and see attitude, resulting in a small ES on the EX.
It's a challenge for sure.

They didn't need to cast the head separate - but the vines could have been sculpted so they could be cast separately (and in vinyl/PVC if needed) and then attached so seams didn't show (again - IF this was taken into consideration at art-direction / sculpting stage).

HeavyMetalSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:05 AM   #1107
Vpuik
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I doubt the material choose is as much because of breakage, but "Depending on the molding process, detail transfer can be very high." But in the otherhand they are making Thanos' throne out of PS so who knows.
Vpuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:08 AM   #1108
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinesorrow View Post
I feel the same way. It's doesn't look any more fragile than some hair we've seen in the past.
But think about the pieces with complex hair. All the ones that I can think of, Wonder Woman PF and Dark Phoenix PF for example, have had the portraits cast separately. Both of those pieces still had problems with hair breakage during shipping. I suspect the problem would been much greater if the body and portrait were cast and shipped as one piece.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:11 AM   #1109
HeavyMetalSpike
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vpuik View Post
I doubt the material choose is as much because of breakage, but "Depending on the molding process, detail transfer can be very high." But in the otherhand they are making Thanos' throne out of PS so who knows.
Several of us have already pointed out - that statement is irrelevant as regards polystone vs. vinyl/PVC. BOTH can get the required detail.

Sure we'll have to point it out AGAIN though.

(* whoops - just did *)

HeavyMetalSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:21 AM   #1110
kingdavidf
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I personally have nothing against his head being removable. I actually expected it'd be. If the potrait was made of vinyl or pvc and the body Polystone I'd have already bought this..
kingdavidf is offline   Reply With Quote