Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-01-2017, 11:30 AM   #501
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion564 View Post
@forps there aren't any if at all prime 1 pieces that are worth more than retail. Maybe the 1/3 miller bats but they're making more with the dk3 line. Also since they have some licenses through sideshow couldn't sideshow just crush them by not letting them make statues anymore?
I have that P1 DK on order. Super pumped. But the odds of a true blue variant happening really has me irked.
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:35 AM   #502
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

I think the most interesting thing here is Sideshow's bulletproof attitude towards the hobby. They set most of the trends. The marketing for their items is great. Good website. Good returns policy. Contests, Giveaways, social media, videos, etc. They thrive where other companies fold. They secure some of the best talent and licenses. They are diverse on licenses for no reason at all. Iron Giant? Pacific Rim? How to Train Your Dragon?

So, how do they do it? how are they financially backed to where they can increase edition sizes and take their time producing them in batches at their convenience regardless of increasing costs in China? how are they able to create their own in-house line (COTD) and push it with everything they got while still selling many other pop culture stuff without missing a beat?

When their competition shows up, they find a way to profit from it by making themselves their distributors. Hot Toys, Prime1, eFX. etc. When the aftermarket robbed them of profits they played the long game of increasing the edition sizes, making long term collectors upset, upping their QC only when complaints reached maximum meltdown and then replacing old collectors with new ones that understood/accepted the new status quo of large ES. Hell, they doubled down and just made some stuff like LSFs and LSBs open editions...because they can.

Sideshow looks and acts bulletproof in a hobby that's saturated and where people are getting priced out. Pop culture continues to thrive with TV shows, movies, video games, etc. so no matter how many complain the machine moves forward because fans want to own a piece of their childhood or their beloved characters. Some of us old timers have made choices that reduced the amount of statues we buy due to money or space and the now lack of ease of sale. Newer collectors may still be in the phase where you gotta own it all and they are trying to build a 1/4 collection not realizing that 50 to 100 PFs take a lot of space and so do their boxes. I feel Sideshow has a greater responsibility to where the future of the hobby is heading. The party won't last forever. That's why I'll take my choice of Swamp Thing right now while I know what's what from the SS and P1 choices.
SolidLiquidFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:40 AM   #503
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidLiquidFox View Post
I think the most interesting thing here is Sideshow's bulletproof attitude towards the hobby. They set most of the trends. The marketing for their items is great. Good website. Good returns policy. Contests, Giveaways, social media, videos, etc. They thrive where other companies fold. They secure some of the best talent and licenses. They are diverse on licenses for no reason at all. Iron Giant? Pacific Rim? How to Train Your Dragon?

So, how do they do it? how are they financially backed to where they can increase edition sizes and take their time producing them in batches at their convenience regardless of increasing costs in China? how are they able to create their own in-house line (COTD) and push it with everything they got while still selling many other pop culture stuff without missing a beat?

When their competition shows up, they find a way to profit from it by making themselves their distributors. Hot Toys, Prime1, eFX. etc. When the aftermarket robbed them of profits they played the long game of increasing the edition sizes, making long term collectors upset, upping their QC only when complaints reached maximum meltdown and then replacing old collectors with new ones that understood/accepted the new status quo of large ES. Hell, they doubled down and just made some stuff like LSFs and LSBs open editions...because they can.

Sideshow looks and acts bulletproof in a hobby that's saturated and where people are getting priced out. Pop culture continues to thrive with TV shows, movies, video games, etc. so no matter how many complain the machine moves forward because fans want to own a piece of their childhood or their beloved characters. Some of us old timers have made choices that reduced the amount of statues we buy due to money or space and the now lack of ease of sale. Newer collectors may still be in the phase where you gotta own it all and they are trying to build a 1/4 collection not realizing that 50 to 100 PFs take a lot of space and so do their boxes. I feel Sideshow has a greater responsibility to where the future of the hobby is heading. The party won't last forever. That's why I'll take my choice of Swamp Thing right now while I know what's what from the SS and P1 choices.
After reading this, i just think SS is so badass. I respect their business.
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:47 AM   #504
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsinwing1989 View Post
After reading this, i just think SS is so badass. I respect their business.
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:58 AM   #505
Python
Omega Red

I didn't see this posted here so it appears to have been missed. Here is Prime 1's rep speaking earlier today regarding the "conflict" of the two Swamp thing maquettes...

"Hi guys

J would like to address the 'swamp thing sideshow vs prime1' discussion that is currently in the forums. Both parties were surprised to find out that they are both making the same character. This was only known when P1 teased the swamp thing some time back last year. But both party decided to continue with their respective project as work has already commenced and both company's interpretation of the character are different giving more choice to fans. No one guessed that someone else would want to make an obscure character like swamp thing. It was purely coincidence. Swamp thing is J's pet project. It is his childhood hero. He has the toys and watches the cartoons and watches both movies in VHS. He is a big fan of the movies. Despite reservation from the P1 management team on the popularity of the character, J went ahead with the project.

For J, Sideshow's Swamp Thing by the master Paul Komodo is impressive and he will have one displayed in his collection. He is extremely happy with his own design as it turns out exactly like what he imagine his childhood hero to be in 3D sculpt. In J's words, there is no better of the 2, just compliment each other in showing the many different side of Swamp Thing."

So it seems this is a one off and that the people making them have a rather good attitude towards it. No beef here, just two companies making great statues and offering the customer more choice. I guess Sideshow and Prime 1 don't discuss everything they are working on with each other, which seems fair enough although they may now make attempts to do so regarding large, more niche characters going forward. Who knows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningRage View Post
Whoa Igo has a twin.

I'm fairly sure he's still saying this just to get out of all of those parking tickets
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:19 PM   #506
SONICobra
Batman

yeah there was no way these companies were trying to "one up" each other - its just the usual forum dramatics, something to keep things interesting i guess lol

nice to hear theres an open line of communication between them, so far their partnership has been very beneficial to everyone involved including collectors
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:23 PM   #507
DPmaster
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.

I love both Swamp Things and I think each one has something to offer. Each company has a unique take on what they envision for Swamp Thing and there's room for both (one is 1/4 scale and the other is 1/3 scale). With that said, if I had to choose one and only one, I'd go with the Prime 1 since it has more to offer me with what I want in a Swamp Thing (multiple switch out hands/arm poses, 3 heads, sword, and that bird is icing on the cake).

I can't speak for others but for me, I checked the items I have on pre-order with Sideshow and right now, I have 8 Prime 1 pieces on PO with a potential 4-5 more upcoming. Conversely, I only have 1 Sideshow piece on order with another waitlisted though there might be 1-2 pieces from the CotD I'm looking to PO. I guess technically I'm using Sideshow as a distributor for Prime 1 stuff if you look at it that way.

Prime 1 just has all the stuff that seems interesting to me like Alien, Predator, Terminator, Transformers, Lord of the Rings, Marvel, DC, Berserk, Guyver, Warhammer, Fist of the North Star, etc. with more new licenses being announced as time goes on. I'm still irked that I never got to complete the 1/4 Lord of the Rings line with Sideshow. They just dropped the license and I was stuck without a full Fellowship.
DPmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:06 PM   #508
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:

One of the best posts in a long time. And I say that as someone who has essentially been left behind by Sideshow. Well said sir.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:53 PM   #509
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbusts View Post
From a business stand point i think this is commendable.
Quote:

crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:58 PM   #510
Vpuik
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:

Finally someone who looks at the big picture and not just the Facebook comments on the latest piece.
Vpuik is offline   Reply With Quote