Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Digital Photography

Old 01-20-2010, 02:27 AM   #1
Craze
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Choices...

So earlier this evening I was looking at a newer nicer camera in the store. I was very impressed with a couple, but I figured I would come home and asked my experienced friends here on the forum. I really like the Nikon D5000 and was looking at the Canon equivalent as well, I'll use it for my statue photography and maybe some general photos and landscapes... So I am asking for opinions, pluses, minuses, recommendations, any info before I drop some cash that could get me another statue on a new camera. Thanks ahead of time.
Craze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:06 AM   #2
hazmatt
Death is hereditary.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5000/

Check for the canon model you were looking at on this site as well. Hope this helps...
hazmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
IronLungs31

The camera is one part of the equation, but there is lens, lighting, tripods etc...
Old 01-20-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
Craze

Yup I already have a basic studio and lighting set-up. Looking for a newer camera maybe a lens or 2. I need a macro and wide angle lens for sure so thats really all I am looking at in the immediate future. Thanks hazmatt I appreciate that link, your pics are some of my main source of inspiration around here. Does anyone have a absolute preference between the two I know its almost like comparing Pepsi to Coke, but I gotta ask. lol
Old 01-20-2010, 06:22 PM   #5
hazmatt
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craze View Post
Yup I already have a basic studio and lighting set-up. Looking for a newer camera maybe a lens or 2. I need a macro and wide angle lens for sure so thats really all I am looking at in the immediate future. Thanks hazmatt I appreciate that link, your pics are some of my main source of inspiration around here. Does anyone have a absolute preference between the two I know its almost like comparing Pepsi to Coke, but I gotta ask. lol
Assuming you are talking about Canon vs. Nikon, it really depends on what brand you are familiar with. If you have been shooting Nikon, then stick with Nikon...same goes for Canon. I think these days the differences between the two brands are quite slim. If you have not used either, then it really does not matter which brand you choose.

Remember it is the camera body that will grow old somewhat quick in the digital world we live in now. Lenses on the other hand change very minimally over time. Therefore, it's best (IMO) to spend your money on nice glass, which will serve you over many years & camera bodies. They also hold their value if you ever decide to sell unlike and older DSLR body. Get a body that suits your needs now and that you can grow with for some time and then upgrade as you deem necessary.

Thanks for the compliment. Glad to hear my pics can inspire.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:23 PM   #6
Craze

I am talking comparisions between the Canon and Nikon, and I haven't really used either so thats the info I am looking for to make my final decision. All of this feedback is really helping me alot... so thanks again!
Old 01-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
Mandragora
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

canon, in my opinion, is way more user friendly. Meaning the controls are a lot more intuitive and you don't have to go digging through menus to get to basic funcions.
Mandragora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:45 AM   #8
Craze

Ok so what Canon does everyone prefer here or use?
Old 01-21-2010, 08:51 AM   #9
Tyz1on
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I have a Canon Xsi and love it. Very user friendly and I wholeheartedly agree with hazmatt about getting good glass. I have good mid range lens' right now, but I'm saving for some top end stuff that will serve me through many more camera bodies. I can't offer any input for Nikon as I have not used one, but the Nikon owners here have only good things to say as well.
Tyz1on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:59 AM   #10
hazmatt
Death is hereditary.

Craze, how much are you looking to spend?