Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-17-2019, 09:56 PM   #31
pavehawk78
Hellfire Club

Its an awesome statue and one of my favorites in my collection.
pavehawk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:58 PM   #32
pdenham
Teen Titans

One of my biggest regrets in this "hobby" was deciding not to get this when it was still available direct from SS.

IIRC it was $500, which at the time was about 50% more than a typical PF, plus would have incurred heavier than normal shipping fees.

I was always a huge fan of the character though and loved the look and size of it. I refuse to pay the collector's surcharge for it now, and shipping now is considerably worse than before so this is something I'm sure I'll never own.

oh well. Congrats to the lucky owners who can enjoy it in person. Pics will have to do for me.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:55 AM   #33
King Grimlock
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkest Knight View Post
I really don't think there is such a thing as a "grail". At least not in terms of a piece being deemed as a grail by everyone. Each person might have their ultimate piece that will come down to the character, the look of the piece itself, rarity, or the price or whatever but that piece will be different for everyone.
I dont think it can be "deemed by everyone", everyone has different tastes, character appreciations, etc. Look at the recent statue awards, anime this year. The term grail to me is more ones personal feelings and opinions for a certain piece, ultimately affirmed by the market via price. I agree I'm not a big fan of the word, but what other word comes to mine to use - my favorite, best statue in my collection?

I would only consider something a grail in MY collection if it meets the following: most importantly it must stand the test of time, an older piece that can still go toe to toe, 10 years in Man-Things case, and measure up with the current competition on metrics such as sculpt, paint, textures, detail. Secondly, and as important, it must have a low ES, the scarcity/rarity, so that the third variable can take over - the desire from collectors in the community to want it, and create a frenzy-like interest. There is one other variable that may come into play however I personally don't agree with it unless it meets all the criteria I've mentioned above: and that's when a company comes out with its first or second piece which happens to become a trendsetter, game changer to the industry and it upends/changes the market (for example PCS Akuma, XM mags).

Everyone has their own definition and their own "grails" based on different things. In the end its subjective.
King Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:57 AM   #34
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber-Lip View Post
I don't get the love for the Doom PF. I think it's kinda corny to be honest, w/all that green cloth and it doesn't evoke any nostalgia for the character for me
I agree. I personally think it's very overrated. It does nothing for me.

As far as Man Thing I love this statue. I wasn't collecting SS when this piece came out so I missed out. I look for it on ebay all the time but it's very expensive. I'd love to have one.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:36 AM   #35
Colossal
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

I pre-ordered Man-Thing when Sideshow released him instantly, and I don't know a single thing about the character to this date, never read a book with him in it.

I purchased him because at the time and I dare say by today's standards, it was one of the most detailed and captivating pieces I had seen. The detail and paint job came out stellar, I loved the way he seemed to be emerging from the swamp base itself, and the light up was simple but so pronounced and effective, particularly in the dark.

Not a fan for the term grail as it seems to denote value - I will say at 300 worldwide, and perhaps because of the fact he has a much smaller fanbase than the trinity, he's hardly ever available. 2 years ago I was offered $1600USD and turned it down - I'd say he'd stand up perfectly standing beside the more recent Prime 1 piece and that's a testament to the artist's vision and quality of SS back in the day.
Colossal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:02 PM   #36
leplant
Deadman

I love the Dr Doom statue, and Man Thing is pretty great as well. I'm guessing Doom made his way in to the conversation as an example of a "grail". Like him or not, he comfortably fits in that category as it is currently defined. That said, he will be replaced by something widely considered superior at some point. Competition is redefining grails. Now they're benchmarks, waiting to be ustaweres.
leplant is offline   Reply With Quote