Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-08-2015, 09:24 AM   #1
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Arrow Sideshows QC Problems (Discuss)

Okay this thread is to discuss Sideshows ongoing QC issues and how it affects collectors. Do you think the forum/s are representative of the majority of collectors. Do you believe the majority of runs are affected but poor QC.

What are you realistic suggestions for improving QC.

What should collectors do If they receive a poor piece? Accept a partial refund or send back for replacement or full refund?

This is open to further expansion in relation to QC only.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:00 AM   #2
ambasah
Red Skull

excellent thread. I hope it doesn't become an "us vs them" discussion.

I long for the SS from 10+ year ago. The packaging of the first star wars pfs was superb. Anyone who owns one knows what I am talking about. Definitely "premium".

I think the forums and FB are a good representation of what is going on with a particular statue. Companies pay huge sums for market research, focus groups etc etc which SS gets for free from reading what's going on here and elsewhere.

SS inconsistency is what is so frustrating. Some runs are close to perfect (the recent hulks, superman, and ivy to name a few) while others have been unmitigated disasters (spider woman, apoc, and sadly wonder woman to name a few).

In my opinion, Sideshow has bitten off more than they can chew. That is the biggest problem. I imagine there are only x number of factories in China that can do this kind of stuff well and there is more competition for their services than ever before.

So, SS either has to begin paying more $$ to have these pieces made, more $$ to ensure better qc, or more $$ to make more quality replacements. In the end they need to spend more cash, and unfortunately the sense I get is that this will not happen.

If I receive a flawed piece I will send it back unless the credit is enough to have it repaired locally. Unfortunately, more pieces have been going back these days than I would like.
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

One thing which needs to be changed immediately is the lack of replacements. It shouldn't even be a question.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:22 AM   #4
Adnan_S
Frackin!

I'm currently awaiting a response to get my wonder woman statue replaced. If it is true that they no longer have replacements then I'm going to seriously start thinking about no longer buying from sideshow. Iv payed over 600 Canadian dollars and If I can't get a decent statue with no major flaws then sideshow is no longer competent enough to receive my money. No one is asking for perfection but what some of us are receiving is beyond unacceptable. Instead of relying on after sale replacements why not focus on prevention.
This is coming from someone who has bought all their dc pieces and have all the others on order. I have no problem walking away and waiting for another competent company to get the dc license.
Adnan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:29 AM   #5
Atheris
The Maxx

SS is doomed guys. Writing has been on the wall for years.

Look at their queen of the dead piece. Same crap all over again.

Seems like it's statue after statue now.

Chris
Atheris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:41 PM   #6
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

More than anything SSC needs to invest in employing QC Inspector(s) IN China who work for them directly and not the factory. I am sure that if SSC held that person accountable to a standard who in turn was physically there to hold the factory responsible it would eradicate 90% of the issues.

It would honestly be a low cost venture based on (the unfortunately low) working salary in China. If they treated the employee(s) well I am sure that your would get exceptional work including hand inspections of every piece with a signed backing of the work.

SSC is kidding themselves if they think the" factory sample" they are sent by factory management is going to be indicative of the work they are going to put forth for the entire run.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:46 PM   #7
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambasah View Post
excellent thread. I hope it doesn't become an "us vs them" discussion.

I long for the SS from 10+ year ago. The packaging of the first star wars pfs was superb. Anyone who owns one knows what I am talking about. Definitely "premium".

I think the forums and FB are a good representation of what is going on with a particular statue. Companies pay huge sums for market research, focus groups etc etc which SS gets for free from reading what's going on here and elsewhere.

SS inconsistency is what is so frustrating. Some runs are close to perfect (the recent hulks, superman, and ivy to name a few) while others have been unmitigated disasters (spider woman, apoc, and sadly wonder woman to name a few).

In my opinion, Sideshow has bitten off more than they can chew. That is the biggest problem. I imagine there are only x number of factories in China that can do this kind of stuff well and there is more competition for their services than ever before.

So, SS either has to begin paying more $$ to have these pieces made, more $$ to ensure better qc, or more $$ to make more quality replacements. In the end they need to spend more cash, and unfortunately the sense I get is that this will not happen.

If I receive a flawed piece I will send it back unless the credit is enough to have it repaired locally. Unfortunately, more pieces have been going back these days than I would like.
Good post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
One thing which needs to be changed immediately is the lack of replacements. It shouldn't even be a question.
Yes, and the batch shipping is making this problem much worse. People in the first few batches get first access to replacements, and later batches get told that there are no more replacements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
More than anything SSC needs to invest in employing QC Inspector(s) IN China who work for them directly and not the factory. I am sure that if SSC held that person accountable to a standard who in turn was physically there to hold the factory responsible it would eradicate 90% of the issues.

It would honestly be a low cost venture based on (the unfortunately low) working salary in China. If they treated the employee(s) well I am sure that your would get exceptional work including hand inspections of every piece with a signed backing of the work.

SSC is kidding themselves if they think the" factory sample" they are sent by factory management is going to be indicative of the work they are going to put forth for the entire run.
I cannot understand why they don't do this. Seriously, maybe 1 to 3 employees in China could help a ton.
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:48 PM   #8
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Over the last 6 months or so, I have gone from 11 Sideshow pre-orders to 4. The only ones I have kept either have a large amount of rewards applied, or are mostly paid off via flex, or have a credit applied from cancelling another order.

I simply cannot justify the "I hope I get a good one" at the current exchange rates. Returning a statue that I am not satisfied with still costs me money, as customs fees and taxes are not refunded by Sideshow. I really hope that Sideshow can figure out a way to improve their overall quality. Like the post above, I believe that employing their own inspectors in China could be a huge benefit.
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:58 PM   #9
AlizAbef
What's another word for Thesaurus?

They need to spend money on quality assurance and keep customers informed. Two things right there that Sideshow absolutely does not do, but needs to do.

There's a ton of other ---- this company needs to fix right now. Delays being one and license greed being another. I can't believe they'd rather spend the money to keep the 1:4 G.I. Joe license and not do a damn thing with it, just so other companies can't obtain the license. They can use the money for useless license fees toward more important things like QC.
AlizAbef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #10
SONICobra
Batman

they need to get back to basics, I refuse to believe ss cannot be an amazing company that makes incredible products. everything is there for them, theyre already making awesome sculpts and have great designs - its just executing them on a production level

make smaller es' - focus on quality > quantity - have proper amount of replacements just in case. sideshow has the tools to be great, they just need to refocus on what got them where they are
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote