Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-18-2019, 11:13 PM   #1921
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Wait and see approach on this one for sure. Down the road shouldn't be tough with a 1k es.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:14 AM   #1922
French Cancan
Deadman

I bought that at a toy store for my Rogue, just in case.
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:17 AM   #1923
BlackestNight
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frayhor View Post
I share here the answer from SS Alex to my question about the engineering of the Rogue maquette concerning the stability of the piece after an extended period of time or even a short one :

I'd like to know what people think of that answer, because I find myself quite confused right now...

We still have no proof, I bought Magneto which seems very solid with a large metal peg to support his entire body, so I'm quite confident with this piece. And I'd like to feel the same way with Rogue but what scares me is her tiny little wrist as the only support for her entire body and there is no way you can put a large metal peg inside it.

Just in case, is there someone reading this post that have extended knowledge about this kind of things who could reassured me by telling me solutions exist for this kind of problem... one who is not involving a full lighter plastic rogue body for a $715 maquette
Polystone is resin with dust mixed in, lol. Pure resin is stronger BUT more expensive. Polystone is more brittle. You would be better off in solid resin.

Rogue, the actual figure is a rather small slender piece. Steel is strong. My knowledge of casting, makes me think there will be a single steel rod running from her body through her arm into the top of the buzzsaw arm which will key into a steel "sleeve" at the top thicker joint of the mechanical arm. The mechanical arm's steel "sleeve" or "tube", will probably run right into the base.

Look at the newest Joker Diagram they released, steel reenforced through out.

SSC (or any toy company) wants to sell many many pieces, now and well into the future. they are not trying to create bad PR for themselves.

I've been molding and casting for the past 12 years, with steel reinforcements through small ankles holding large rotund bodies for the past 6 years .
BlackestNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:21 AM   #1924
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio1 View Post
Wait and see approach on this one for sure. Down the road shouldn't be tough with a 1k es.
..and that's just for the EX
Since i don't see a need to own the EX Rogue, holding off makes total sense, if only to see how the piece turns out, to see if there are any issues, and see if it makes any sales (-$50 or free shipping etc)
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:20 AM   #1925
Frayhor
Sinister Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackestNight View Post
Polystone is resin with dust mixed in, lol. Pure resin is stronger BUT more expensive. Polystone is more brittle. You would be better off in solid resin.

Rogue, the actual figure is a rather small slender piece. Steel is strong. My knowledge of casting, makes me think there will be a single steel rod running from her body through her arm into the top of the buzzsaw arm which will key into a steel "sleeve" at the top thicker joint of the mechanical arm. The mechanical arm's steel "sleeve" or "tube", will probably run right into the base.

SSC (or any toy company) wants to sell many many pieces, now and well into the future. they are not trying to create bad PR for themselves.

I've been molding and casting for the past 12 years, with steel reinforcements through small ankles holding large rotund bodies for the past 6 years .
Thanks a lot for your extended, detailed and well explained answer, you are exactly the person that I was targeting at the end of my previous post !

You managed to give me one plausible resolution to the engineering problem, which was all I was asking for. So now I can at least have hope again that it is indeed possible to achieve this Rogue maquette successfully.

Thank you again for taking the time to answer me, it was nice of you !
Frayhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:37 PM   #1926
rjszar
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Quote:

I've built plenty of resin models over the years, pegging everything. I have said this numerous times before, running a rod through that skinny wrist with the body running horizontally with all the weight pulling down vertically is going to cause what little material is surrounding the rod to crack and splinter. Skinny ankles holding up a body pushing straight down is different than a huge amount of torque being placed on a weak pivot. I am not at all comfortable with this BUT I pre-ordered two anyway just in case one fails.
rjszar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:43 PM   #1927
BlackestNight
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjszar View Post
I've built plenty of resin models over the years, pegging everything. I have said this numerous times before, running a rod through that skinny wrist with the body running horizontally with all the weight pulling down vertically is going to cause what little material is surrounding the rod to crack and splinter. Skinny ankles holding up a body pushing straight down is different than a huge amount of torque being placed on a weak pivot. I am not at all comfortable with this BUT I pre-ordered two anyway just in case one fails.
Your are assuming the choosen rod will flex. If the chosen rod running through the structure is strong enough, which it easily can be, there will be no breaking.
BlackestNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:13 PM   #1928
savage.CAP
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Does anyone happen to have the photo that showed how the connection in to the base would work? I remember there was a BTS photo showing it.
savage.CAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:00 PM   #1929
rjszar
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Quote:
Your are assuming the choosen rod will flex. If the chosen rod running through the structure is strong enough, which it easily can be, there will be no breaking.
It's a reasonable assumption though, one I hope I am wrong about. Please understand, I'm not just bashing this. I did order two of these because Rogue is my favorite character and I don't wan't to take chances.
rjszar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:21 AM   #1930
savage.CAP
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Watching the sideshow live with IGO and this piece again. “Cajun or Russian” was mentioned. Was it just a huge tease, or do you guys think we should expect Gambit and Colossus?
savage.CAP is offline   Reply With Quote