Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 07-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
Sithlord32
New Republic

Mara Jade ArtFX Bishoujo ~ Kotobukiya

"Though I was seen at court, very few thought I was more than a bauble kept about to add something to the cityscape. What my master wished done was what I did. No questions. No regrets. Total devotion to duty. Those who guessed I was more to the Emperor learned to fear that I might be turned on them someday." ~Mara Jade

"I'm a lot more than Ben's mother, Corporal Lekauf. I'm Master Mara Jade Skywalker of the Jedi order. If you know who I am, then you also know that you'd better tell me why my son's comlink is being jammed—or spend the next six weeks in a bacta tank trying to regrow all the parts I'm going to cut off." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade has become an iconic figure in the Star wars universe and is a power to reckoned with in her own right. She has been around since Rise of the empire era Mara Jade also was one of the first Expanded Universe characters to receive a Hasbro action figure and a bust from Gentle giant. Her appearances are numerous in comics books and video games.Master Replicas did an interpretation of her Lightsaber. Now Kotobukiya brings us Mara Jade in their line of ArtFX Bishoujo statues so lets take a look.

Product Details
Title: Mara Jade ArtFX Bishoujo
License: Star Wars
ES/EX (edition size): N/A (exclusive edition size): N/A
Scale: 1:7
Composition: PVC
Dimensions: 9" H (228.6mm) x 8.3" W (210.82mm)
Product Weight: 1.3 lbs
Manufacturer: Kotobukiya
MSRP (USD): $69.99 (REG) N/A (EX)
Design: Kotobukiya
Sculpt: Kotobukiya
Paint: Kotobukiya

First off if your not a fan of anime or manga style of art you probably wont like this or anything else in this line. It is a bit cutesy but it translates well to the series. Personally I like the style and always have. It has its own merits vs other styles. Its fresh and not without creativity. Also size and price point on these scale and styles of figures is reasonably low which allows collectors to have an extensive collection without breaking the pocket book or adding a new addition to the house.

As seen above she comes with a few different display options. A full sized cloak and a scarf for her neck display. She also comes with a set of goggles that hang around her neck. The base has two different insets as well. An Imperial symbol and a Rebel Alliance symbol that can be changed out easily. Last but not least she comes with two Lightsabers. One purple which is her own and another that was given to her by her husband Luke Skywalker which happens to be lukes saber from ANH.

Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
Sithlord32
New Republic

Summary

Sculpt: 10
The sculpt and pose with this statue is great. Though I long for a darker side of Mara for the style and product line for this Kotobukiya did an awesome job bringing her to life.

Paint & Mixed Media: 9.5
The paint application here much like most of these PVC statues is pretty much flawless. Colors are vivid and well blended. No sloppy lines to contented with here. The details for the scale look great. Sometimes less is more and it works. There are a couple of small hiccups one on her hair and another on the underside of her hair from the cloak rubbing but nothing to adverse.

Design: 9.5
The overall design is fantastic for the most part. Not sure how one would partake in fights with high heels but at least they are in the form of boots. The Lightsabers do not sit in her hand the best you have to position them just so to get them to sit straight in her palm but again not something that takes away from the statue. The choice of colors for her suit look great in contrast though I would have preferred the black costume.

Production & Build Quality: 10
No issues here as usual with these PVC statues. Sometimes you can get a piece or part that isnt as flexible as you might think and break it but nothing seems to be too fragile here. The sabers I would be careful of slipping in and out of her hand as im not sure how much flex the blades have or her thumb. I have switched them both out a few times for pictures and i see no issues.

OVERALL: 9.75
Overall this is a great statue if you like the style and product build and of course Star Wars. ArtFX always seems to do a great job and their standards have not waned with this release.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Great review. I intend on picking one up. But I still can't find a good rotating base...
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:36 PM   #4
Sithlord32
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
Great review. I intend on picking one up. But I still can't find a good rotating base...
Thanks for checking out the review! Good luck with the rotating base.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:24 PM   #5
dechirico7
The Flash

My Mara Jade is sitting in my "Pile of Loot" at BBTS. I am excited to get her, but I can wait. I'm going to have them hold her until the Starfire bishoujo and some other pieces come out. She looks so good in your pics. I think your review is spot on, these bishoujos are really produced well.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:31 AM   #6
Sithlord32
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechirico7 View Post
My Mara Jade is sitting in my "Pile of Loot" at BBTS. I am excited to get her, but I can wait. I'm going to have them hold her until the Starfire bishoujo and some other pieces come out. She looks so good in your pics. I think your review is spot on, these bishoujos are really produced well.
Well you have her at least you dont have to hunt one down later. You wont be disappointed she looks great in person. Thanks for the compliments on the pictures and of my review Dechirico7. I was going to go with Starfire as well she looks great but I dont really have much interest in DC. Hope the next in the Star Wars line is as appealing as the last two.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:38 AM   #7
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

I just noticed this review today. As always, great work!! Definitely, The Bishoujo line is one of Kotobukiya's best. This piece is beautiful!! Keep up the awesome work, my friend.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:33 PM   #8
Sithlord32
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsarri View Post
I just noticed this review today. As always, great work!! Definitely, The Bishoujo line is one of Kotobukiya's best. This piece is beautiful!! Keep up the awesome work, my friend.
Just noticed this post today. this and the Predator bad Blood reviews dont seem to be showing up under today's or most recent posts but I always check anyways to see if anyone has any questions and to see feedback left. I really like this line as well hope they continue and diversify.