Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 07-05-2014, 02:55 AM   #1
Sithlord32
New Republic

Predator Bad Blood Statue ~ Sideshow Collectibles

Bad Blood is the phrase used for any Yautja that has turned against its own kind - intentional or not. If the individual is found to have brought dishonor to his people and flees before accepting punishment, there can be no forgiveness according to Predator tradition. Other Predators are allowed to eliminate the outcasts on sight. Bad Bloods are never accepted back into Predator society. Wandering aimlessly, some Bad Bloods have been known to hunt and slay anything alive, including other Predators.

A notable clan of Bad Blood Yautja are the Killers, these ruthless hunters track and kill Yautjas from other clans. Their clan operated in a civil war in East Africa during the 21st century and fought the honored Yautja led by Machiko Noguchi during the 22nd Killers War.
The Jungle Hunter that killed members of an elite mercenary unit led by Major Alan "Dutch" Schaefer in the first movie was a Yautja from the Jungle Hunter Clan.

This science fiction horror franchise has long been revered by many since its debut in 1987. Their clan like ways and ritualistic style of hunting, killing and collecting has had mass appeal in and out of pop culture. They have been referenced in all forms of art, video games, books, toys and in television shows. In everything from South Park to How I met your Mother.

When Predator was first introduced to have some affiliation with the Xenomorph in Predator 2 it was an explosion of excitement for fans of both franchises. So its no wonder Sideshow has brought so many Predator and Alien related collectibles to the table. Lets take a look at what the Sideshow clan has us hunting for with this release of Predator Bad Blood.

Product Details
Title: Predator Bad Blood Statue
License: Predator
ES/EX (edition size): 1,500 (exclusive edition size): N/A
Scale: 1:6
Composition: Polystone
Dimensions: 18.5" H (469.9mm) x 18" W (457.2mm) x 18" D (457.2mm)
Product Weight: 12.00 lbs (5.44 kg
Manufacturer: Sideshow
MSRP (USD): $299.99 (REG) N/A (EX)
Design: Narin
Sculpt: Narin
Paint: Joe Dunaway

I have to say when I first saw this sculpt I couldn't stop going back daily to look at it. Needless to say it didn't take me long to pull the trigger on this despite some of the negative feedback I had been reading about the paint application and easily broken dreads from the head sculpt. Despite these flaws the representation of the Predator here was enough to entice and I wasn't and still am not disappointed in my decision to add this to my collection.

Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:57 AM   #2
Sithlord32
New Republic

There is an outstanding amount of detail in this piece and falls nothing short of Narin's abilities and creativity when it comes to Predators. He is bar none one of the best sculptors out there today and I have yet to see a Predator piece that can stand in his shoes.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:58 AM   #3
Sithlord32
New Republic

Summary

Sculpt: 10
Narins sculpt here is nothing to scoff at. The detail and poise of this breathes life into the savagery of the Predator. From the environmental base to the trophies on his shoulders there is no inch left without interpretation of this hunter gone bad.

Paint & Mixed Media: 8.5
Though the controversy on the paint application being duller than what Sideshows pictures would lead you to believe it still does it justice. Yes some of the colors are not as vibrant as what they could have been or were pictured namely the green blood and the darker skin tone. The flecks on his skin are a little abundant in spots and could have been thinned out and blended with a little better quality.
There are some sloppy lines and areas that are devoid of proper color carry through such as under his neck. The bones on his dreads are pure white and could use some low-lights as well but over all i think the paint application scores above mediocre.

Design: 9.5
The overall design of the Predator Bad Blood holds true to his species in feel, look and presence. For the amount of detail and small parts it holds remarkably in tact. It is balanced well and is a ease to put together. All the joints are seamless and tight. It is however a chore to pack him back up. I had to modify the styrofoam as to be sure his dreads would not break as one was broken off when i received him.

Production & Build Quality: 8.0 Production wise I think the factory did a pretty good gob here. No oddly bent weapons or hassles with pegs or pieces fitting. The paint app as i mentioned was a liitle sloppy in some areas but overall clean and easy to touch up even for a novice. Fully sculpted with balance throughout.

OVERALL: 9.0
Old 07-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #4
Python
Omega Red

It is undoubtedly a great looking statue!!
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #5
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

I was very close to ordering this one. Very cool statue, and great review.
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:52 AM   #6
Sithlord32
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
It is undoubtedly a great looking statue!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmutha View Post
I was very close to ordering this one. Very cool statue, and great review.
Thanks for checking out the review guys and commenting. Always good to get some feedback. One of my fav statues in my collection.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #7
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

I am not as a familiar with the Predator universe and lingo, but I love that you provide links for more information to newbies like me. Great job!! You are raising the bar once again!! Excellent review and exquisite photos.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:01 PM   #8
Sithlord32
New Republic

Thanks JP. I have had some links in past reviews as well usually for obscure information. Its a little more work but like you said i think it helps turn people on the piece giving it some back story.