Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 07-06-2015, 12:15 PM   #20051
protector2814
Phoenix

When Worlds Collide (1951) - 8/10

As far as these old chestnuts hold up, WWC still is remarkably watchable. The scene when the earth ship is finally forced to leave the exploding earth & make its way to the colliding planet is still as tense as ever. Great concept & fully realized plot make this one of the best of the old-school sci-fi classics. I'm not a fan of remakes in general, but I could easily see this one updated & redone for a modern audience. Killer movie -

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:33 PM   #20052
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006) ~ 2/5

Pretty dumb, but not completely horrible (like 2Fast2Furious was). I couldn't take the main 'villain' seriously though as his constant pouty faces/camera stares had me cracking up every time
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:49 PM   #20053
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

insidious part 3

8/10
Quicksilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:15 PM   #20054
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

The Tribe (2014) - A deaf teenager struggles to fit into the boarding school system.

It's a unique film in that every scene is one continuous single camera shot, but even more significantly, there is no spoken dialogue, subtitles, narration or any translations whatsoever. The characters (all deaf actors) communicate through sign language leaving the viewer to determine the plot through their facial expressions and actions alone. I rate this film highly more for its technique and cleverness than the story which is a bleak downward spiral not unlike Requiem for a Dream or Irréversible. There are also more than a few similarities to Larry Clark's Kids. 9/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:53 PM   #20055
strife87
Spider-Ham

kingsman the secret service

6.5/10
strife87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:26 PM   #20056
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

The Gunman: 7/10 - It was a little off in places, but I quite enjoyed this Bourne-esque thriller. The story is engaging enough, and the action set pieces are actually pretty damned good. Also had a good cast too (although Idris only makes a very fleeting appearance). And for a guy in his mid 50's Penn is in great shape, and can hand out the beat downs with the best of them.
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:20 AM   #20057
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Starsky & Hutch (2004) ~ 3/5

It was dumb, but fun. Stiller and Wilson's chemistry cannot be denied
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:35 AM   #20058
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidgit View Post
The Gunman: 7/10 - It was a little off in places, but I quite enjoyed this Bourne-esque thriller. The story is engaging enough, and the action set pieces are actually pretty damned good. Also had a good cast too (although Idris only makes a very fleeting appearance). And for a guy in his mid 50's Penn is in great shape, and can hand out the beat downs with the best of them.
I was surprised by how much I liked this film. I agree that Penn did a admirable job especially considering his age. I read somewhere back when the film released in the theaters that there was plans the film would be the start of a franchise. Since it did so poorly at the box office, those plans were quickly side lined. I would have been down for seeing more if they had made them.
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:56 PM   #20059
Babytoxie
Ghost

The Babadook (2014) - 3/10

I'd heard such good things about this movie, but what a disappointment it was.

I didn't find it scary, or even unnerving, and it dragged a lot. A large part of my rating is due to the main character's son. I've got three kids 6 yrs and under, and even when all three are simultaneously at their worst, they are nowhere near that annoying
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:41 PM   #20060
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
The Babadook (2014) - 3/10

I'd heard such good things about this movie, but what a disappointment it was.

I didn't find it scary, or even unnerving, and it dragged a lot. A large part of my rating is due to the main character's son. I've got three kids 6 yrs and under, and even when all three are simultaneously at their worst, they are nowhere near that annoying
My wife & I just watched this the other night. I agree with a lot of what you say. My wife said the movie was like "being at someone's house, who's kid was so annoying, you want to nothing but leave." I found the movie stressful, but only because of the kid. I'm now using the word "babadook" to describe annoying kids. Just called a brat a babadook for standing wet on my pool towel. Will never watch this one again. If this is what passes for modern horror, I'll stick to my Hammer, thank-you very much.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote