Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 01-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
cstojano
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

What is the appeal of canvas?

I look at pricing and just dont get what I am missing with canvas. They tend to be 3x more expensive than a print of the same image and look cheap to me. So what am I missing here? The image quality always looks inferior to me and the shellac coating gives an awful glare. The only benefit I see is that they can be hung without a frame or can be framed without glass.
cstojano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstojano View Post
I look at pricing and just dont get what I am missing with canvas. They tend to be 3x more expensive than a print of the same image and look cheap to me. So what am I missing here? The image quality always looks inferior to me and the shellac coating gives an awful glare. The only benefit I see is that they can be hung without a frame or can be framed without glass.
Looks more like a real painting. Far from inferior IMO. Wish i could afford some the alex ross oieces i have on paper giclee on canvas.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Cheap? I think they look far superior to paper IMO.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
FROBAY
Phoenix

Canvas vs paper

http://www.ehow.com/about_6611596_fi...s_-canvas.html

I prefer Canvas to Paper.
FROBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
cstojano

Thanks for that link. No doubt I am in the minority since the market prices accordingly. I happened into the Ltd/ Art Gallery in Seattle when I was there on business and expected the canvases to blow me away. But the link clear it up, paper is more detailed. I prefer this look. I struggled for a long time with the Frazetta Death Dealer canvas vs the lithograph. Ended up selling the litho, but just sold the canvas and plan to get the litho. I do prefer the look of framed pieces without a matte. But in my opinion 'the canvas looks more like a real painting' thing doesn't really hold up. Tastes I guess.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:39 AM   #6
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Thanks for that link. No doubt I am in the minority since the market prices accordingly. I happened into the Ltd/ Art Gallery in Seattle when I was there on business and expected the canvases to blow me away. But the link clear it up, paper is more detailed. I prefer this look. I struggled for a long time with the Frazetta Death Dealer canvas vs the lithograph. Ended up selling the litho, but just sold the canvas and plan to get the litho. I do prefer the look of framed pieces without a matte. But in my opinion 'the canvas looks more like a real painting' thing doesn't really hold up. Tastes I guess.

That's because it isn't a real painting. I have canvas prints and real paintings displayed at home. IMO, you can't compare the two as you can tell which one is the fake. However, given the choice between canvas and paper, I would opt for canvas, though it depends on the quality of the transfer too. Like most things in life, there's good quality, and not.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:58 AM   #7
sjumani123
Doh!

Canvas Painting Surfaces are designed to accept and properly support all or specific types of paints. Canvas can be made from cotton, linen or other synthetic materials. Although only rolled canvas can be adapted to any size, stretched canvas is available in many different sizes to choose from.

mf husain
sjumani123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

For those prints whose original are acrylic on board or digital, canvas prints look odd. Canvas look best when the original source is an oil painting. Digital art and acrylic paintings don't look right with the canvas texture to my eyes.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
cstojano

Thanks for all the comments. I see it i a bit more complex than just the paper vs canvas dichotomy. I also suppose taste comes into play as well as the look one is going for. Looking at the Death Dealer litho next to the canvas was no comparison, the litho was clean and sharp while the canvas was muddled, and the original of course was an oil.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

It depends on the piece but I generally prefer canvas.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote