Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 06-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
SunnyLee
Doodler and Pencil Scratcher.
ArtistProducer

New Commissions

Hey Guys

Just an FYI - after the Heroes Con, I am going to be reducing the number of commissions I take and it'll be a case by case basis. It has become rather difficult to get everything I need to do for my day job, the outside of work artistic work-for-hire stuff, and be there for my kids' activities all taken care of and still be able to deliver commissions that are both good and timely. I've learned that as my kids get older and more active, they're involved in a lot of things that really suck up my time - Both my boys are in little league, the older one is in the playoffs and plays literally every other day, and on the days he doesn't play, my younger son also is in little league but I'm his asst coach so I have to attend his practices and games so my days are work, home, little league practice/game, dinner, draw work for hire stuff, bed by 1 or 2 am. Weekends are commissions and work for hire stuff. As you can imagine, I get a little burnt out by the end of every month. (when it's not baseball, it's soccer or swimming or tennis or who knows what else)...

So from this point forward, commission requests will be taken or held until my schedule clears some to have time for it... and I won't be accepting any kind of payment until they're complete (not even half down upfront). That way - there's no cost to the client about getting the piece and losing money - and with all you folks, there's never been any issues as I trust you all. As it is, this work for hire stuff has consumed my May and sapped all the time I had allotted for the Heroes Con commissions I took in Feb. (I am still working through them all and hope to complete them all on Wednesday.)

On a side note however, as I work on my style and try to improve my art, I will be posting pieces I completed for sale here and on Facebook, CAF and dA (basically non-requested art) from time to time. So if anything catches your eye that you see on either of those sites and you'd like to get it, shoot me an email (guaranteed fastest way to contact me). Prices will vary depending on the size, medium, etc. I will be taking my art in a different direction in the near future... working to make it less stylized and more realistic as I feel that is what I'm looking for.

Thanks for supporting me and my art these past few years. I really appreciate it. And look out for a contest from me coming soon (probably july) with one prize (original pencil art 11x17) and 2 booby prizes (9x12 pencils). or... maybe august?

The art will be completed before the contest starts so you all will be able to decide if it's worth it to you to participate. The winner can pick which of the three he wants, then the second place winner gets to pick between the two left, and the third gets the final piece. I hope to make them all excellent so the winners will all be happy.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Sunny, you have my sympathies. Asher is playing club baseball and the practice schedule for these kids (11-12 years old) is insane. Luckily we only have 2 more weeks. Keep on truckin, you're the best. Also, btw, I think you may be the only artist I know that doesn't take any payment until the work is done. As a collector and buyer of art, that's legit. Thanks for being you, Sunny.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

A full plate of commitments is a great thing to have, Sunny... and nobody on here rwould disagree that family shouldn't come first. Always does
Thanks for the update...coaching's fun; d id a couple seasons of it for soccer while i was teaching..buggers keep you busy.

Fun contest idea.

Last edited by Argonus; 06-03-2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: hate my phone lol
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Family and health (mental and physical) is always higher priority than in our case (hobby) or in your case (job).

All the best to you and yours. I know sports helped me stay active and healthy as a kid...probably developed my competitive nature and hatred of losing even more than normal

My love of sports has never waned, just the time to do them. I'm sure you enjoy coaching your youngest son's team. I'm jealous you get to get out there and have a hand in the game.

Can't wait to see the new direction you choose to go in.

And good luck with your shoulder!
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Speaking of which... you take the time off for your shoulder yet? Linds makes a good point.. and, well, Rob has an impressive beard.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
Serendipity_Art
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Refreshing to have an artist realize this and not just take client's money and run.

I will have some "new" Sunny Lee art to show soon. Having an old piece re-worked by an inker and polished.
Serendipity_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
CKinSD
Crush Mod
Super Moderator

Sunny, ah old age and as the kids get older our lives get more and more busy. thank you for letting everyone know.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

This is a great decision Sunny, glad to hear you are making this statement for yourself and family. I totally get what you are going through as we have to juggle 3 sports schedules and 3 school schedules, including 2 girls in competitive travel soccer clubs (one of which I coach). There aren't enough hours in the day/week most of the time and when that rare crack in the schedule surfaces, I prefer to rest or hang with the family.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
SunnyLee
Doodler and Pencil Scratcher.
ArtistProducer

Thanks everyone - just trying to ensure that you all get what you deserve in regards to commissions, cost and expectations and also to make sure that I don't go bonkers.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
This is a great decision Sunny, glad to hear you are making this statement for yourself and family. I totally get what you are going through as we have to juggle 3 sports schedules and 3 school schedules, including 2 girls in competitive travel soccer clubs (one of which I coach). There aren't enough hours in the day/week most of the time and when that rare crack in the schedule surfaces, I prefer to rest or hang with the family.
preach it brother!

Great call Sunny!
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote