Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 07-02-2015, 11:25 AM   #1
protector2814
Phoenix

(SPOILERS) Anyone Else Think Waid Kinda "Fumbled The Ball" W/ Daredevil?

Major current DD issue (16) spoilers below -

I blame those that came before in the recent Matt "outed" as Daredevil storyline. I actually think that Mark Waid did a pretty decent job in dealing with it, by having Matt move back to San Francisco & still being Daredevil, but kind of deflating the fact that he, as trial lawyer by day, was Hornhead by night ... but then things began getting a little loopy.
Foggy keeps right on dying, Matt started writing a tell-all & sporting a wacky new civilian costume complete w/ bow-tie & red bowler hat. Odd, suddenly Omni-powerful East-Coast villains likewise made the move West, new characters were introduced as Murdock' friends, it seems, only to be threatened in ridiculous plot-twists, all leading to a Kingpin reintroduction which, I suppose, is Waid's way of reintroducing a "new" Daredevil to the new & improved Marvel Universe.
The deal Matt offered Kingpin in the latest issue (#16) seems nothing more than a typical Marvel attempt at cleaning up the mess they let their writer(s) create in the 1st place. Matt's offer of "killing Matt Murdock" only to start once again off in a new civilian identity seems to me like a "here we go again" moment, only this time, I have a funny feeling it'll be for keeps with most of Daredevil's friends & partners left either dead for keeps or all being convinced that their friend is truly dead. "Wala" DD starts fresh in the new Marvel U!

Bottom line - Waid started strong out the gate, but floundered under the weight of his & a few of the others who came before him, ridiculous over-complicated story lines; all written in an attempt to stay edgy & dark like their grand pappy Frank Miller did decades before.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:55 PM   #2
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I'll agree that since the move to the West Coast, Daredevil hasn't been as strong of a series, but regardless its still one of the best Marvel titles each month. A small stumble here or there doesn't take anything away from Waid/Samnee's current run. I've tremendously enjoyed what they've done with the character (along with the twists/turns along the way). Perhaps I'm slightly biased since DD is in my top 3 Marvel characters, but still...

They've told their tale now though and I look forward to seeing Soule's take in October
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:02 AM   #3
kal-el
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Yeah the last few issues have not been up to par. hate the whole red suit thing. It's like Daredevil & Moon Knight go to the same tailor. Looking forward to the change.
kal-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:07 AM   #4
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

The costume change based on the promo art for the upcoming series seems superfluous. The classic looks are what all the costume changes seem to gravitate toward eventually. Why not just cut bait and return to Wally Wood's classically designed duds.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:04 AM   #5
protector2814
Phoenix

To completely separate Matt from Daredevil. Waid's just set things in motion to have Matt remain Daredevil, but able to completely reinvent himself as DD's alter-ego. A new, grittier costume, like the one shown, will add to the believability that this is a new DD. I think that under the new, post Civil-War U, DD's gonna be stripped. No friends, new identity, Matt will be seen as dead. Going back to any semblance of the classic costume would confuse readers & supporting characters. Matt will be dead, as far as anyone's concerned, & a new DD will arise (even though it'll still be Matt). These are my predictions based on Waid's last ish.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:04 AM   #6
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I thought the Kingpin's "art room" a bit silly in this issue. I don't know if this was meant for comic relief or not.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote