Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 07-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #11
supahman
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

Great Story, and superb haul. I saved this for sunday eve reading
supahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:11 AM   #12
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Nice report, awesome that you have gotten to go to Heroes so many times! Love the Creaturebox piece!
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:18 AM   #13
bnmauney
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
Nice report, awesome that you have gotten to go to Heroes so many times! Love the Creaturebox piece!
Yeah, I've been very fortunate in that regard. There have been a few times over the last several years where I didn't think I'd be able to make it happen, but somehow it always works out for me.

Honestly, I keep wondering if maybe I should curb the spending at Heroes a little and try to hit up some other cons, just to see how they compare. We're getting ready to head up to MA to visit the in-laws, and I'm just going to miss the Boston Comic Con by a few days. Anyone going or ever been?
bnmauney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:32 AM   #14
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnmauney View Post
Honestly, I keep wondering if maybe I should curb the spending at Heroes a little and try to hit up some other cons, just to see how they compare. We're getting ready to head up to MA to visit the in-laws, and I'm just going to miss the Boston Comic Con by a few days. Anyone going or ever been?
I have been to NYCC and Chicago a few times each and they were great weekends but Heroes is my favorite. It is the only show I try my best to make every year. I would love it to have such a great show in my back yard, consider yourself fortunate.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:32 AM   #15
Behold Gravitas
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnmauney View Post
Yeah, I've been very fortunate in that regard. There have been a few times over the last several years where I didn't think I'd be able to make it happen, but somehow it always works out for me.

Depends on your focus at a con. In my estimation, the Saturday peak at Heroes is similar to the first hour or two @NYCC or C2E2 on their preview/first day. Able to get to tables, talk to artists briefly, etc. Saturday for either of those cons is a different beast. Expect to be awash in a sea of humanity at the big cons, with way more cosplay and pop culture fans at either of those (and blocking aisles as you navigate down them to get to your artists).

NYCC last year had something around 140 - 150K in attendance. C2E2 half that. C2E2 is a given for me because it's local, but I sure wish we had something like Heroes, too.

Celebrities aren't my thing at cons, but realistically, that is what makes the big cons such a big pull and helps to keep the cons in business. Media coverage will more likely have a report when the cast of the Walking Dead appear, not when "insert A-list comic artist" is there.

The other bonus is both Chicago and NYC are incredible towns to visit as part of a convention trip.
Behold Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:33 PM   #16
bnmauney
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Truthfully, while I'd love to go to SDCC, NYCC, and C2E2 just for the experiences, they're not really as high on my list as places like Baltimore, Boston, and ECCC. I'm not really into the whole celebrities and cosplay thing, which is why I've never done Dragon*Con, even though it's not that far from me. I definitely a comics and comic art guy. However, I'm very intrigued by the thought of meeting Hayley Atwell in person. I love her as Peggy Carter.
bnmauney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:49 PM   #17
CKinSD
Crush Mod
Super Moderator

great write up man for sure. I think there must have been multiple times we were probably just feet apart.

you picked up some really nice art there for certain. I love Daniel govars the most out of all of them. The hydra cloud is just an awesome touch. Lee weeks will not dissapoint you for certain man.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:51 PM   #18
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

i would consider c2e2 to be a good show for art. usually has a great lineup. the crowds aren't big. and usually am able to get most of what i like. and you get the added bonus of celebs and cosplay.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:06 AM   #19
Ghost9
U talkin' to me?

I agree, which is why I keep coming back to C2E2 each year even though I'm not in Chicago. I go to NYCC but just b/c I live here. As far as pure art shows, the ones on my list are always Heroes, Baltimore, Boston, and Big Wow. I thought ECCC also, but I went last year and it was a colossal mess. Great artist line-up, but I won't be back. Looking forward to trying one of the other 4 I listed next year.
Ghost9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:47 AM   #20
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I can vouch for Baltimore being a nice con. Usually a solid line-up and easy to get around. Not a lot of fluff and can get some great pieces.

I've got friends moving to Seattle this September and the first thing one of them said to me was -- "So you'll come visit us for sure because there is a comicon out there, I think." I had totally forgotten about ECCC since I thought I would never have a reason to go out there -- ohhhh now I do
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote