Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 08-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #7221
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
So where did he learn to box/tackle/throw? He went straight from the skinny kid who couldn't box himself out of a paperbag, let alone know how to throw a punch. He's punching, side kicking, and knocking 3 to 4 bag guys simultaneously? Maybe he learned the kicking moves from all the dancers with the USO. And as for throwing the shield just right so it ricochets and sticks open sliding doors? really? He learned that throwing frisbees while on the USO tours? Sorry, I just don't buy it.
I know how to punch, tackle, kick and throw. Does that mean I have received special training? These are basic physical actions, the guy wasn't 5 years old when they gave him the serum, just extremely scrawny and weak.

As for the shield throwing, are you serious? You're questioning how a comic book character in a movie, one as iconic as Captain America, learns to throw a round "vibranium" shield? Let's assume you're serious. Who exactly is going to "teach" him to do what you just described?

It's called suspension of disbelief. If you're mind wasn't ready for a movie called Captain America before you walked in the theater, you were never going to truly enjoy it.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #7222
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
I know how to punch, tackle, kick and throw. Does that mean I have received special training? These are basic physical actions, the guy wasn't 5 years old when they gave him the serum, just extremely scrawny and weak.

As for the shield throwing, are you serious? You're questioning how a comic book character in a movie, one as iconic as Captain America, learns to throw a round "vibranium" shield? Let's assume you're serious. Who exactly is going to "teach" him to do what you just described?

It's called suspension of disbelief. If you're mind wasn't ready for a movie called Captain America before you walked in the theater, you were never going to truly enjoy it.
I guess I expect more out directors. I guess the army is going to let a USO entertainer carry around a multi-million dollar, one of kind shield around with him while he's singing and dancing.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #7223
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
I guess I expect more out directors. I guess the army is going to let a USO entertainer carry around a multi-million dollar, one of kind shield around with him while he's singing and dancing.
Were you paying attention when you watched this movie?

He didn't receive the "multi-million dollar one of a kind shield" until AFTER he rescued the 400 soldiers from imprisonment. He was using a regular metallic shield during the USO shows, one made of regular metal and designed after his classic first shield.

I don't think its about you "expecting more out of directors". It just seems that your movies are guilty until proven innocent. Try and relax next time, its only a movie.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #7224
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Were you paying attention when you watched this movie?

He didn't receive the "multi-million dollar one of a kind shield" until AFTER he rescued the 400 soldiers from imprisonment. He was using a regular metallic shield during the USO shows, one made of regular metal and designed after his classic first shield.

I don't think its about you "expecting more out of directors". It just seems that your movies are guilty until proven innocent. Try and relax next time, its only a movie.
That is a totally condescending unnecessary comment.

I go in with high expectations and I wasn't let down by Thor or X-Men: FC. Cap disappointed me

And yes I know it's just a movie but seems some have lower standards than me.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:48 PM   #7225
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
That is a totally condescending unnecessary comment.

I go in with high expectations and I wasn't let down by Thor or X-Men: FC. Cap disappointed me

And yes I know it's just a movie but seems some have lower standards than me.
I don't feel I was being condescending, I really am confused when you make statements like that. You point out a flaw in a movie that didn't exist, what am I supposed to think? Regardless, it wasn't my intention to seem condescending.

If others have "lower standards" than you, does that make your standards better? Not saying you're implying such a thing, just a question since that is tone I get when I see statements like that. Especially since it is implied that my standards are "lower". Lower isn't usually used in conjunction with good or high quality things. Do you see where THAT statement might be considered "unnecessary" or "condescending"?

Anyway, you pointed out many things you didn't like about the movie. However it doesn't seem like any of your concerns actually existed within the movie. Eye of the beholder and all that jazz. Just to be clear, I am not saying this movie is perfect or flawless. The few small flaws I did see were so minor in my opinion, that they I completely overlooked them. I did so because they didn't hinder me from enjoying this film in the slightest.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:54 PM   #7226
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

Steve Rogers did go through the army training during the selection process at Camp Lehigh. We never really get a good sense of just how long this training period was.

Later the film uses a montage of scenes to show us Cap and the Howling Commandos exploits in action against Hydra. This again, we do not really have an idea of how much time passes, but it does give Steve additional time to hon his fighting skills.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #7227
bat_collector
Galactus

can you guys take the cap debate to another thread?
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #7228
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
can you guys take the cap debate to another thread?
Yeah, I could have posted my question on the other thread. I was just posting my score for it and then popped a question. It escalated from there.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #7229
Spazzy
Hercules

James Bond Tomorrow Never Dies 7/10
Liked most of it except the villain, news baron?

Fast Times at Ridgemont High 7/10
Corny, sure, but had some funny parts, and Phoebe..hubbu hubbu!
Spazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #7230
isildur heir
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazzy View Post
James Bond Tomorrow Never Dies 7/10
Liked most of it except the villain, news baron?

Fast Times at Ridgemont High 7/10
Corny, sure, but had some funny parts, and Phoebe..hubbu hubbu!
Elliot Carver = Rupert Murdoch
isildur heir is offline   Reply With Quote