Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Community Corner > Aussies

Old 01-08-2012, 06:08 AM   #1
mez
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Upcoming Melbourne Events

Hey Guys,

I've been hearing about two small local events that you may or maynot of heard about. (If this is in the wrong place, sorry).

The first is 'Marvel Street Art Battle' where two street artists make art based on the upcoming Avengers movie and a gallery of David Yardin art is displayed.

Date: Sat 14th Jan, 2pm - 5pm
Cost: Free

More info:
http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...&id=0c079d3067

The other event is more of an unknown, it's 'The Home Cooked Comics Festival'. There's a bit of info on the site, but really don't know what sort of event it will be. ComicSpot! podcast is recording a live show (I have no idea if they're any good).

More info:
http://www.darebin.vic.gov.au/Page/P...x?Page_Id=9097

Well, might see a few of you there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two new events:

The first is The Festival of the Photocopier. It's a zine festival run by Sticky Institute. This will be my first time at the event, but from what I read there are a tonne of local creators who'll have tables. So I'm looking forward to getting a few zines/mimi comics and sketches.

When: Sunday 12th of Feb (1pm - 6pm)
Where: The Melbourne Town Hall
Cost: Free

The Second event is The Big Arse Comic Launch #2. This picture will give you a better idea of it.

Last edited by mez; 01-29-2012 at 02:09 AM. Reason: New Events!
mez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
Rocket
Art of Mod

Hey mate!

Yeah I was all set to attend the Avengers day in Prahran until I was told Yardin would be the focal point and would be signing books. Turned me right off attending to be honest....

I may still go but unless he cancels, it's doubtful

Wasn't aware of the Darebin event but it's a short drive from my place so I may head down! Hope to catch up for sure!
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
David Yardin
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Hey mate!

Yeah I was all set to attend the Avengers day in Prahran until I was told Yardin would be the focal point and would be signing books. Turned me right off attending to be honest....

I may still go but unless he cancels, it's doubtful
I'm sorry, did I do something?
David Yardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #4
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Yardin View Post
I'm sorry, did I do something?
Yeah, I had a less than stellar experience with you when I tried to buy some of your Gambit: Origins OA at a con a few years back. To be brutally honest David, I felt like you sized me up, decided from my appearance I couldnt afford your prices (even though I was looking to buy multiple pages) and then treated me with what I would describe as disdain.

I also had ordered and paid for three commissions that year, of which you only completed one, and to get it was like pulling teeth. I had to pay extra to re-enter the con at my own expense just to pick it up because you didnt finish it on the Saturday like you said you would, and then on three occasions wandered back to your table to find you working on pieces below mine and my friends on your list, despite us being in the first five people at your table on Day One, and me standing around, giving up an extra day of my life just to pick it up. If that was your operating system, fine, but you never informed us of that and you had our money so I feel a responsibilty to work the list in order was present. You refunded me the difference, and the one piece you finished, which was a gift for a friend, he loves, but to be honest the whole experience left a very sour taste in my mouth.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, this is just how I feel.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
David Yardin
Frackin!

I take it you are referring to my first Melbourne Supanova? I'm not sure how exactly you feel I was treating you with disdain, but if you want to pm me and be more specific about what I did or said, I would like to know. I do know I was operating on two hours sleep due to deadlines from the Friday night before, so if I was crappy I apologise.

For my part I did feel I priced those Gambit pages high for interiors, but that was because I put A LOT of man hours into those pages. So to be honest, no I wasn't really expecting many (if any) sales on them (especially at a local con with USD to AUD exchange rate at the time), but at the same time I don't feel I ever try to size anybody up for a sale. I don't see how anyone can pick who does or doesn't have disposable income, or who is or isn't going to buy.

As to the commissions, I don't feel I got through them very well at all, in fact probably my worst convention for them. As I said above I was operating on 2 hours sleep, so I wasn't moving very fast on Sat, or thinking very straight. I also didn't realise I had to do two talks that weekend until after I started my list, or that the bus to/from hotel for the guests was arriving an hour later, and leaving an hour earlier than opening/closing hours of the convention (I had previously driven myself to all the other Supanovas I had attended and was expecting to do hours of 9-6 not 10-5), so I took on more commission requests than I should have, thinking I had more time than I actually did. I was also previously used to having at least one person helping me at my Supanova table, so all those factors added together, yeah I screwed my commissions up that weekend.

I do try to do my list in order, but I know I did jump around on the list because people who were waiting around my table all day, said they had to leave that day, so I was trying not to disappoint anyone. I can't remember anyone having to pay an extra day entry just to pick up a commission from me though, but if you did I'm sorry.

PM me which commissions you had and I'll try and sort something out for you?
David Yardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
Rocket
Art of Mod

Hey again David, firstly thank you for a well thought out and friendly response, I was a little worried you may take my comments as agressive and that wasn't my intent. Thankfully you seem to have taken them as intended.

Yeah it was that first Supanova, and as is often the case I was oblivious to your own, personal issues (probably not the right word) during that weekend, and I do thankyou for explaining, as both my wife and I did comment to each other that you came across a lot differently to the way friends had glowingly described you prior to the con.

Your humility and regretfulness in your post coupled with the generous offer to make good on a couple of pieces my friend and I had long kissed goodbe any chance to own, has certainly changed my opinion in one fell swoop. That is most gracious offer, and I'd love to take you up on it

I'll shoot you a PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Yardin View Post
I take it you are referring to my first Melbourne Supanova? I'm not sure how exactly you feel I was treating you with disdain, but if you want to pm me and be more specific about what I did or said, I would like to know. I do know I was operating on two hours sleep due to deadlines from the Friday night before, so if I was crappy I apologise.

For my part I did feel I priced those Gambit pages high for interiors, but that was because I put A LOT of man hours into those pages. So to be honest, no I wasn't really expecting many (if any) sales on them (especially at a local con with USD to AUD exchange rate at the time), but at the same time I don't feel I ever try to size anybody up for a sale. I don't see how anyone can pick who does or doesn't have disposable income, or who is or isn't going to buy.

As to the commissions, I don't feel I got through them very well at all, in fact probably my worst convention for them. As I said above I was operating on 2 hours sleep, so I wasn't moving very fast on Sat, or thinking very straight. I also didn't realise I had to do two talks that weekend until after I started my list, or that the bus to/from hotel for the guests was arriving an hour later, and leaving an hour earlier than opening/closing hours of the convention (I had previously driven myself to all the other Supanovas I had attended and was expecting to do hours of 9-6 not 10-5), so I took on more commission requests than I should have, thinking I had more time than I actually did. I was also previously used to having at least one person helping me at my Supanova table, so all those factors added together, yeah I screwed my commissions up that weekend.

I do try to do my list in order, but I know I did jump around on the list because people who were waiting around my table all day, said they had to leave that day, so I was trying not to disappoint anyone. I can't remember anyone having to pay an extra day entry just to pick up a commission from me though, but if you did I'm sorry.

PM me which commissions you had and I'll try and sort something out for you?
Old 01-09-2012, 01:34 AM   #7
mez
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Well I'm glad that's sorted out. David, I haven't had a chance to see much of your work, but I'm looking forward to meeting you and checking out the exhibtion.
mez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
Underdog07
Hercules

have we hugged and are all friends now?
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #9
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
have we hugged and are all friends now?

Meeting up with David on Saturday and hopefully will have something to share after that
Old 01-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #10
Tony Coca
Teflon Don

As long as i get a sketch Im happy.
Tony Coca is offline   Reply With Quote