Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

Old 10-02-2006, 02:51 PM   #1
Wooktroop
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Marvel Universe Online (from makers of city of heros)

http://crypticstudios.com/products.php

http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/20...tml&frame=true
Wooktroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:55 PM   #2
devlinboy
Official Thread Killer

i hope its more like an oblivion type game. i cant stand just pressing command prompts , i like hack and slash
devlinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:01 PM   #3
Wooktroop

Quote:
Originally Posted by devlinboy View Post
i hope its more like an oblivion type game. i cant stand just pressing command prompts , i like hack and slash
have you played city of villians or heros?
i think its going to be just like thoose

i cant wait
Old 10-02-2006, 11:01 PM   #4
kirthew
Zot

I just dont know how they are going to pull it off... Is it going to be like City Of Heroes where you just have a character in the Marvel Universe... or are you going to be able to play the Heroes... but then that doesn't make sense because you dont want to have 5000 Spiderman's running around... or maybe your a sick person and really like the clone saga... but you get my point.. I think..
kirthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:08 PM   #5
sellin71
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirthew View Post
I just dont know how they are going to pull it off... Is it going to be like City Of Heroes where you just have a character in the Marvel Universe... or are you going to be able to play the Heroes... but then that doesn't make sense because you dont want to have 5000 Spiderman's running around... or maybe your a sick person and really like the clone saga... but you get my point.. I think..
So, what's your point?
sellin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:22 PM   #6
Wooktroop

A LETTER TO OUR FANS:
When we saw the opportunity to work with Marvel to create their super hero universe, we couldn’t resist. We love comic book heroes. The masked hero genre started over sixty years ago. Its stories, characters and themes have changed with our society. Nearly every type of story imaginable has found its way into the colorful pages of a comic book. That’s one of the main reasons that we feel that there’s plenty of room for more than just one comic book hero game in the MMORPG space. Fans will have an option about the world they will play in, just like they do with the half dozen fantasy titles available. Cryptic prides itself in creating games that we are passionate about based on genres that we know and enjoy. We were excited to find out that Cryptic and Microsoft shared the same vision for a massively multiplayer game based in the Marvel universe, rich with storylines and characters we’ve all grown up with.

Each universe provides players unique characters to play. City of Heroes allowed players to bring their characters into a generic comic book setting. We specifically wanted CoH/V to be broad enough to appeal to the genre as a whole, rather than any specific portion of it. We’re fully committed to City of Heroes and City of Villains. They are our first games, in a universe we devised. These products are the foundation upon which Cryptic is built. Cryptic and NCSoft are jointly investing in a team dedicated solely to creating and maintaining City of Heroes and City of Villains. We will continue to update both titles with new content, including a multi-year storyline, gameplay systems, missions, and much, much more. As a company, we are dedicated to our fans and plan to implement often requested ideas and features. For example, Issue 9 brings to City of Heroes and City of Villains a huge new gameplay system: Inventions. Players will be able to craft Enhancements and Costume pieces for their characters using recipes, and salvage what they find while adventuring.

Compared to the fantasy MMO games, the possibilities for the comic book hero universe are grossly untapped. Creating two worlds that will grow in their own ways means the true potential of the comic book hero MMO can come into its own. For the “City of” games, this expansion of the market probably means an influx of new MMO players who have heard of the Marvel characters but not “City of Heroes,” and will likely try both.

FAQ

Are you taking resources away from CoH/CoV?

Cryptic has a team of programmers, artists, designers, and producers dedicated solely to creating and maintaining both products. The studio will continue to update both titles with new content, including a multi-year storyline, a new gameplay system that allows characters to craft Enhancements and Costume pieces, brand new missions, and much, much more.

How many people at Cryptic will be devoted to the CoH/CoV team?

Our current team is as large as the one who developed City of Heroes. The team is, and will remain, separate from the team working on the Marvel MMO with Microsoft.

What’s the future for City of Heroes/Villains?

We are absolutely committed to our loyal fans of City of Heroes and City of Villains. We are dedicating our own resources to keep both games exciting and fresh for our players for years to come. As a company, we’re thrilled at the prospects of the City franchise. It shows no signs of going away! We have plans to continue its growth for years to come.

Is the new Marvel title going to replace CoH/CoV?

No! The comic book hero is its own genre, capable of supporting multiple titles, just like fantasy. Currently there are numerous successful fantasy massively online games in the market, and we are confident that the market can support more than one game based on the pages of comic books.

Do you think there’s room for two super hero MMORPG’s?

The MMO market has proven to be more expansive and mainstream than ever. There is definitely room in the market for both titles. It’s like saying Half-Life would kill Quake, or Halo kill Unreal.

What will differentiate the Marvel game and CoH/CoV?

We haven’t announced details on the Marvel title, but it will be a very different game in terms of gameplay and visuals from the “City of” games. The storylines and the challenges characters will face from them will be very different. The Marvel game is focused on, well, the Marvel Universe. As comic book and movie fans already know, Marvel has its own unique style that sets it apart from the other comic book publishers. Our goal is to distil the Marvel experience and put that into the game. We’re also developing the Marvel game as a title for Windows Vista and the Xbox 360 – which presents us with a set of new hurdles in technology and design. We’re starting off at a completely different point than we did with City of Heroes.

Are you planning to exclusively make comic book hero games?

No – this particular partnership was something rather unique. We are, however, a company dedicated to making great MMORPG’s.

Why are you working with Marvel after they sued you two years ago?

Marvel holds the best intellectual properties, and we’re the best developer of MMO games. It’s a match made in heaven. At the end of the day, when two creative organizations are passionate about their visions sometimes sparks fly. The suit with Marvel was settled amicably long ago, and we’re excited about working together.

Why not work with NC Soft?

NC Soft and Cryptic continue to have a great relationship; we are jointly supporting and growing City of Heroes and City of Villains. Because Cryptic is an independent developer, we’re always looking for good projects with strong publishers that will bring our great gameplay to our customers.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:26 PM   #7
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Trailer looks pretty amazing...
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:38 PM   #8
Justin
Jedi Order

Looks very interesting
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 09:25 PM   #9
devlinboy
Official Thread Killer

ive played coh , but i thought it was pretty boring just clickin on action boxes i prefer just running around and hitting buttons . i like video games more than pc games. i dont like using a keyboard. i did like flying around the city in coh and the stories and upgrades were fun.
devlinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:09 PM   #10
Ghost
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Ppl were saying the drawbacks to this as far as licensing and business goes, that ppl would create characters from other companies, ie. DC characters and they would have something to say about it. I hope it all works out though and they won't care.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote