Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 04-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #11
stormshadow75x
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

I just think the team is old & is entering a down cycle.

The Yankees had a good run with some quality home grown talent but the last WS was acquired by spending & it looks like the organization is looking to move away from that game plan.

Rivera is set to retire & IMO has been the key to their success. ARod's contract is going to become more more noticeable & they don't seem to have a viable replacement for Jeter.

I do think they have a nice core with Granderson, Cano, Texiera & Gardner, which should help them reach the post season, however, their reliance on the long ball is their biggest issue, especially in the playoffs.
stormshadow75x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #12
Ryu
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Man, I miss Godzilla. That dude can hit clutch
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #13
SNIKT
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormshadow75x View Post
I just think the team is old & is entering a down cycle.

The Yankees had a good run with some quality home grown talent but the last WS was acquired by spending & it looks like the organization is looking to move away from that game plan.

Rivera is set to retire & IMO has been the key to their success. ARod's contract is going to become more more noticeable & they don't seem to have a viable replacement for Jeter.

I do think they have a nice core with Granderson, Cano, Texiera & Gardner, which should help them reach the post season, however, their reliance on the long ball is their biggest issue, especially in the playoffs.
I agree with a lot of what you are saying. Although I feel Tex is proving to be a bad signing due to him only showing his glove and his bat being no where to be found. Cano is just a talented athlete. Gardner hustles his ass off and is one of the players with heart. Granderson has so much potential but he just isn't playing up to it. Yea he hit a lot of homers last year but he hit around .260.. that just isn't good. Again this is all my opinion
SNIKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #14
SNIKT
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
Man, I miss Godzilla. That dude can hit clutch
yea man I agree.. him and Damon were clutch and Matsui won us the last game in the 09 world series single handedly
Old 04-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #15
Cage
Statueforum Consiglieri

Actually SNIKT as a Sox fan (and that is tough because I root more for the Laundry and not the individual players hell I like Jeter and Rivera more than I like any Red Sox player) I know what you mean. The Red Sox clearly do not have the winning tradition that the Yankees do and as others have pointed out it could be tougher if we had to root for teams that spend as close to the floor as possible, BUT the Yankees and Red Sox have put themselves out there as the "premier" franchises spurred on in no small part because of the Rivalry between them. As such, we as fans expect the effort and product to be up to that standard that the teams hold themselves out to be. The Red Sox are notorious for raising ticket prices clandestinely (say during a super bowl run) and try going to the ball park and not spending a pound and a crown, aint gonna happen. So when you see guys chowing down on fried chicken and beer in the locker room when other guys are giving everything i.e. Pedroia/Jeter it pisses you off as a fan. I want Sox/Yankees to matter in April, June, August and September. Especially since the pay rolls are ridiculous. So I guess this is a long winded way of saying your not spoiled nor do you have unreasonable expectations. You want your team to do what they say, and charge you big bucks to watch them, do. I'm with you. Nowadays for me, baseball season is killing time between Hockey Season and Football season.
Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #16
SNIKT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
Actually SNIKT as a Sox fan (and that is tough because I root more for the Laundry and not the individual players hell I like Jeter and Rivera more than I like any Red Sox player) I know what you mean. The Red Sox clearly do not have the winning tradition that the Yankees do and as others have pointed out it could be tougher if we had to root for teams that spend as close to the floor as possible, BUT the Yankees and Red Sox have put themselves out there as the "premier" franchises spurred on in no small part because of the Rivalry between them. As such, we as fans expect the effort and product to be up to that standard that the teams hold themselves out to be. The Red Sox are notorious for raising ticket prices clandestinely (say during a super bowl run) and try going to the ball park and not spending a pound and a crown, aint gonna happen. So when you see guys chowing down on fried chicken and beer in the locker room when other guys are giving everything i.e. Pedroia/Jeter it pisses you off as a fan. I want Sox/Yankees to matter in April, June, August and September. Especially since the pay rolls are ridiculous. So I guess this is a long winded way of saying your not spoiled nor do you have unreasonable expectations. You want your team to do what they say, and charge you big bucks to watch them, do. I'm with you. Nowadays for me, baseball season is killing time between Hockey Season and Football season.
I appreciate you posting your opinion and your understanding.. I have lots of respect for the red sox.. People count them out but they're always in it.. Pedroia youklis Ortiz ellsberry .. Just top notch players .. But yea I always will have more respect for those who bleed to win and play their hearts out over those who feel like they don't need to hustle because their stats make up for it
Old 04-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #17
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I’m sick of the Yankees play also. Since 09 it’s been the same thing over and over. They score 12 runs against a bum and then get shut down by some other bum. No clutch hitting. They end up scoring tons of runs and win lots of games but in the playoffs those paper stats don’t cut it. You need to hit with runners in scoring position. Bottom line. Their pitching was good enough last year but they couldn’t hit for sh!t. This year they pretty much look the same. Tex comes to New York and all of a sudden he forgets how to hit. Now he’s one of these bums that you can put the shift on and he hits right into it like a momo. I’m sick of the paper stats. I miss Matsui's clutch hitting. As Yankee fans we are definitely spoiled but it is what it is. Rant over.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #18
adee
Green Arrow

My heart bleeds for all the Yankee fans.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #19
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #20
stormshadow75x
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

I thought part of the problem was the pitching last year, CC didn't do too well in the playoffs.
Joba didn't help the team's situation falling off a trampoline.

I think that stadium is part of the problem, they rely too much on the HR & don't hit when runners are in scoring position.

Finding clutch players like Leyritz, Brosius, ONeil, Jeter, Matsui & Rivera isn't that easy.

They had a good run, could be worse, you could be a METS fan.
stormshadow75x is offline   Reply With Quote