Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > CKinSD Conventions

Old 02-21-2015, 12:23 AM   #11
Scion009
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Yeah, I bought my tickets long ago, booked my hotel, and have another person coming along with me, so I'm locked in to this show this year. I might cut down my trip from 4 to 2-3 days instead though...with no artists I'm real interested in, the Thursday so far seems like a big waste of time (cause most of the media guests aren't there that day either). Really thinking hard about doing Big Wow next year, instead.
Scion009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:56 PM   #12
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

what is Big Wow, is that another expo?

I really hope they announce some better artists for calgary soon...my hope is slowly dwindling as each day goes by...
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:26 PM   #13
Scion009
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Big Wow Comic Fest is a comic convention in San Jose California. This year, it is on the same weekend as Calgary, and the artist guest list is about a thousand times better, (if not more). Its not a huge show, but they bring in some great artists.

http://www.bigwowcomicfest.com/guests/comics/
Scion009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:52 AM   #14
woozie0
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion009 View Post
What? No interest in today's amazing, *famous* Cosplayer announcements? Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
lol yeah...this year is looking pretty hurtin so far...but I did bite and get 2 tickets when they put up the "90% sold!" memo on the webpage, I was surprised to see tickets selling so quickly this year considering the inflated admission cost and lack of good guests, but at the same time I know i'd kick myself if I didnt go, its just fun to be there regardless, and if there arent many people I want to see maybe I can actually just cruise around and enjoy things without having to worry about seeing everyone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion009 View Post
Yeah, I bought my tickets long ago, booked my hotel, and have another person coming along with me, so I'm locked in to this show this year. I might cut down my trip from 4 to 2-3 days instead though...with no artists I'm real interested in, the Thursday so far seems like a big waste of time (cause most of the media guests aren't there that day either). Really thinking hard about doing Big Wow next year, instead.
You guys have more faith than me. I'm still holding out. This is their 10 year anniversary so hopefully they have something up their sleeve!
woozie0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:07 PM   #15
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

I dont think ill be able to go anymore, just got possession date on my new house and its unfortunatley april 17th (friday) im supposed to go to the expo april 18th (saturday) but now ill probably just have to move instead
Old 03-04-2015, 12:05 PM   #16
woozie0
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
I dont think ill be able to go anymore, just got possession date on my new house and its unfortunatley april 17th (friday) im supposed to go to the expo april 18th (saturday) but now ill probably just have to move instead
Well, congrats on the house at least!
woozie0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:50 PM   #17
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozie0 View Post
Well, congrats on the house at least!
thanks Woozie!! im going to try my best to go for at least a while, now that I see Bruce Timm is coming I really want to get my Bruce Timm batman black/white statue signed lol
Old 03-04-2015, 04:25 PM   #18
DCooper08
Frackin!

I would have to chime in here and say this year is a massive disappointment. Not at all the caliber of guests we are accustomed to being spoiled with. Media guests could be a ton better but I'm consistently disappointed with the lack of artists. We need to get Marvel/DC/Dark Horse and Image to start rapping their booths and bringing their artists and writers.

Whenever anyone asks the expo where the good guests are they always ask for suggestions. It seems they go unheeded though and we are constantly given the same artists year after year and left over media guests from shows loosely associated with Science Fiction, Comic books or anything really nerdy. 90210 and Sharknado are kind of embarrassing. I figured if anyone would echo these sentiments it would be you guys.

I have consistently gone for the last six years and for a tenth anniversary it looks like a pretty awful year. Almost like they knew advertising the 10th year would get people excited enough to drop $50 for entry and just didn't care who they brought over that.

Sorry for the rant and long posting but this is something that consistently bothers me. That and keeping their lists quiet and releasing it last minute twice a week. Emerald city comic con releases all their names months in advance. We are the only one i know of that does things this way.

*sight* I'm done.
Congrats on the house.

-DC
DCooper08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:53 PM   #19
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

thanks DC, and I fully agree with you on everything you said, the expo is gradually moving away from comic artists and more towards any kind of 'celebrities' they can possibly find to fill spots even if they arent related to science fiction at all, case in point 90210
Old 03-04-2015, 10:01 PM   #20
DCooper08
Frackin!

It's a shame that they don't see to care about input regarding who fans would like to see. I know there have been a ton of feedback and i doubt many requests for Sharknado lol. I mean i know the majority of us will still go, the question begs for much longer.
DCooper08 is offline   Reply With Quote