Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > CKinSD Conventions

Old 01-26-2015, 11:44 AM   #1
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Calgary Comic & Entertainment Expo (April 16-19, 2015)

here we go again! another year another expo!!

anyone planning on going?

im a little jaded with what i've seen so far...there are barely any comic book artists announced, the one I wanted to see (Dave Dorman) cancelled, the ticket prices are through the roof this year (about $50 a person for saturday) and they are focusing on the "entertainment" side way too much with lots of actors, but not many good ones, including the actors from 90210 lol who cares about 90210 at a comic expo?? every year it just fades further away from comics and moves more to "entertainment"
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:44 PM   #2
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

I too am very disappointed with the line-up this far. I am holding out hope that they have big announcements coming in light of this being the 10 year anniversary Expo. My wife has said we are going for sure due to Stephen Amell being there but honestly I could care less and would easily skip based on what has been announced to date.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:33 PM   #3
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

agreed Matches, this is the first time in calgary expo history where im actually contemplating not going, if they dont announce some more comic artists soon I dont think I can justify the inflated 50$ price tag just for an entry ticket...
Old 01-26-2015, 11:55 PM   #4
Scion009
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Yeah, I've attended every Calgary Expo so far as well. I am definitely going this year, but if this year's comic artist turn out is like last year's, it may very well be my last. One thing, as far as Calgary goes...they take FOREVER to list guests...so they've probably got a LOT more guests in the pipeline...at least on the Entertainment side. The last 2 years, its been on the same weekend as C2E2, so that might have caused a bit of a problem with artist attendance. Giving it one more year to see if things turn around. Last year, if it hadn't been for Bruce Campbell and Nick Bradshaw, woulda been a pretty big bust of a show for me (bought a bunch of Bradshaw stuff, not much else, really). There were a few other artists there that I got stuff from, but they are ones I see pretty much every year. The Barry Kitson cancellation really hurt last year.

Also, Dave Dorman was one FAST cancellation...announced one week, cancelled like 4-5 days later...lol. Daniel Parsons and Bailey are both good artists as well...but Bailey literally lives down the street from me (we both live in Stony Plain, AB, a town just outside Edmonton).

Stanley "Artgerm" Lau will be there...but if I remember correctly, his rates are higher than I'm willing to pay for him. Only artist I am really interested in so far, is Franchesco.
Scion009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:15 PM   #5
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

I was also really dissapointed when Barry Kitson cancelled last year, it wasnt even mentioned on the website so I ran around like crazy trying to find him only to hear from another exhibitor that he cancelled

and this year im crushed Dave Dorman cancelled, he was the single comic artist that I really wanted to see

it is awesome that artgerm is coming, i'd love to get a commission from him but it appears he charges a LOT of money so I dont know if ill do it. Last year I got a commission from Joe Ng which was pretty awesome

I think the lineup last year was a lot better then what they have shown so far for this year. I had a great time meeting kevin eastman last year, and the voice actors from the TMNT cartoons, got a lot of signatures from these guys, but im a child of the 80's so that meant a lot to me and was definitely the highlight from my expo trip last year

also seeing RL Stine was cool, again goes back to being a child of the 80's-90's, plus I got a nice stack of books signed by a good amount of different comic artists, with what they've announced for this year i'd probably only have a couple books to get signed, so they need to announce more comic artists!!!
Old 01-27-2015, 05:01 PM   #6
woozie0
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
including the actors from 90210 lol who cares about 90210 at a comic expo?? every year it just fades further away from comics and moves more to "entertainment"
Not to mention the "stars" of Sharknado...

I'm on the fence. Stan the Man and Artgerm are the only ones I'm interested in so far.
woozie0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:11 PM   #7
Scion009

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozie0 View Post

I'm on the fence. Stan the Man and Artgerm are the only ones I'm interested in so far.
What? No interest in today's amazing, *famous* Cosplayer announcements? Lol
Old 01-27-2015, 07:29 PM   #8
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozie0 View Post

lol yeah...wayyyyy to many washed up "celebrities" this year lol sharknado and 90210 sweet lord what is happening to the calgary expo

Stan is awesome but i've seen him a few times already, nothing else for him to sign, and yea Artgerm will be radical but too expensive for a commission for my blood, I hope Joe Ng comes back again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion009 View Post
What? No interest in today's amazing, *famous* Cosplayer announcements? Lol
lol yeah I hardly count that as an announcement...they are kind of grasping at straws now!
Old 02-20-2015, 01:17 AM   #9
Scion009

Today's awesome guest creator announcements include...a bunch of web comic creators that are there every year. Yaaaaaaaayyyyy!
Old 02-20-2015, 02:51 PM   #10
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

lol yeah...this year is looking pretty hurtin so far...but I did bite and get 2 tickets when they put up the "90% sold!" memo on the webpage, I was surprised to see tickets selling so quickly this year considering the inflated admission cost and lack of good guests, but at the same time I know i'd kick myself if I didnt go, its just fun to be there regardless, and if there arent many people I want to see maybe I can actually just cruise around and enjoy things without having to worry about seeing everyone