Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 01-06-2024, 04:44 PM   #41
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmac View Post
I think it is the same statue, or at least a redo of that piece. It comes with a signed note from R.A. Salvatore. While I can't say it definitely, I doubt you would see two high-end Drizzt statues releasing at the same time.

As for XM . . . Maybe XM subleased the license and is producing the statues at one of their factories? The statue is made out of cold-cast porcelain just like what XM uses. When you look at Gatherer's Tavern's FB page, it seems like they were the ones presenting at the Singapore Comic-con. The MTG statues they have up on their site show "XM Studios" at the top of the listings, where this Drizzt statue shows "Gatherer's Tavern".

It's all conjecture, but I think the license is being done as a collaboration. It would be nice if XM actually gave an update so people know what is going on.
Either way, I like this new piece a lot more than the one XM showed us. The one thing I don't like is the nameplate on the base. I've never been a fan of nameplates.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 06:18 PM   #42
Cmac
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Either way, I like this new piece a lot more than the one XM showed us. The one thing I don't like is the nameplate on the base. I've never been a fan of nameplates.
Yeah, I'm in agreement with you. This is definitely better. I don't like the nameplate either. The lighting effect I'm not big on either as I don't like lights on my statues at all. I know they can add some atmosphere (like a street light), but in general, they are just something that I won't use and will eventually break.
Cmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 06:23 PM   #43
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmac View Post
Yeah, I'm in agreement with you. This is definitely better. I don't like the nameplate either. The lighting effect I'm not big on either as I don't like lights on my statues at all. I know they can add some atmosphere (like a street light), but in general, they are just something that I won't use and will eventually break.
Exactly. I have no use for light up features either. I need to re-read his first trilogy. I loved it.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 06:04 PM   #44
gearhead
The Herculoids

The new one is not bad, but I definitely like the XM better. The action pose is much more suited to a Drizzt statue. Guen is sculpted way better on the XM, as are the armor details.

As for the new, skin color is still a huge miss. Not liking the light up on Guen at all. I get they're trying to convey that she's a magical creature but she doesn't glow like that, and when off it makes it look like she's been all sliced up in a battle. Her color is off too, the reddish brown highlights don't work. Drizzt's hair looks bad. Cloak should be more green like the XM. His Mielikki pendant should be just that, a pendant like on XM's, not a emblem on his armor. Like someone else pointed out, his scabbards are on the wrong sides. (Ironically, on the XM the scabbards are correct, but the scimitars are in the wrong hands. You'd think at least one of these statues would've got the weapons right since that's a huge part of who he is.)

I know I'm being pretty critical, but in all of fantasy, movies, and comics, Drizzt is by far my favorite character. I just really want to see him done right. I have issues with the XM also, but I still like it better, so I hope it's still being made. Choice is alway good.

Last edited by gearhead; 01-29-2024 at 06:26 PM. Reason: More info
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote