Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 05-21-2022, 01:39 AM   #331
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

That bottom left classic one looks as good or better(though that is the proto), as does the "Amon Hen" (bottom right one), you just used a bad pic. Other ones I have seen look pretty good. None of them including P1 are really that close though. At least it isn't Cinemaquette bad.
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 01:06 PM   #332
T-Rex
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

The point here is why the different brands don’t want to develop a closer portrait when technology and ability already enable it. Or... why brands allow the bad QC and say... well although is not what we promised to them, we don’t care since we know everyone will buy it. Brands should learn that this won’t happen any more
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 03:15 PM   #333
s3xylamb
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
The point here is why the different brands don?t want to develop a closer portrait when technology and ability already enable it. Or... why brands allow the bad QC and say... well although is not what we promised to them, we don?t care since we know everyone will buy it. Brands should learn that this won?t happen any more
Agreed! especially at this price range, its big chunk of change $$$ for a less than stellar product. helmet hair, wonky eyes, bad paint, and loss of detail are unacceptable for the asking price. where is the quality? worse is the fanboys who defend this BS! "gUyS iTs nOt tHaT BaD" lol again, for the PRICE, these things should be perfect IMO. first world problems I know.
s3xylamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 06:54 PM   #334
T-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3xylamb View Post
Agreed! especially at this price range, its big chunk of change $$$ for a less than stellar product. helmet hair, wonky eyes, bad paint, and loss of detail are unacceptable for the asking price. where is the quality? worse is the fanboys who defend this BS! "gUyS iTs nOt tHaT BaD" lol again, for the PRICE, these things should be perfect IMO. first world problems I know.
100% agree!!
I think your comment applies to 75% of the figures nowadays (average). For some companies we talked about 95%
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 07:35 AM   #335
FastballSpecial
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorrcan View Post
Personally, I think it's still a better likeness than anything Weta have produced, but it's 1/4 so that's expected.

Top right was Sideshow's 1/5 version. Probably the best Aragorn we've ever gotten.
FastballSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 08:48 AM   #336
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorrcan View Post
Personally, I think it's still a better likeness than anything Weta have produced, but it's 1/4 so that's expected.

I wonder how many of these are actually excellent sculpts, with a good Viggo likeness, under the factory paint job.

We've seen it plenty of times, a figure looks like a poor likeness, until some brave soul strips away the factory paint job and places the piece into the hands of a real artist....then we see what was hiding all along.

I can't imagine an actor likeness gets signed off at the sculpt stage until it's right. I mean, the cost to get an accurate sculpt is the same (labour time) then is required for a poor sculpt. A company achieves zero benefit from skimping at the sculpting stage.......however, paint apps is a whole other story, and here, it's clear that many companies compromise and take short cuts to make the numbers stack.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 01:09 PM   #337
Lorrcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastballSpecial View Post
Top right was Sideshow's 1/5 version. Probably the best Aragorn we've ever gotten.
Is it 1/5? I've heard some people refer to it as 1/6 scale. It's my favourite statue concept wise. I just love the understated base and pose on this one. It's just a shame I don't collect anything under 1/4. If I had some spare money lying around I might consider making an exception, just for this piece.

Lorrcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 01:32 PM   #338
Jon_Boston_83
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I wonder how many of these are actually excellent sculpts, with a good Viggo likeness, under the factory paint job.
That's very true, i've seen a repaint of the original 2001 Aragorn by SSW and it looks amazing, and i've seen the Elessar statue stripped of paint and the actual sculpt looks spot on to Viggo. And those two were hand sculpted before they had 3D computers to help. Tha paintjobs did let them down.
Jon_Boston_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 12:48 PM   #339
Thor Odinson

Here you go, a review from a person who isn't shady. Seems like it's fine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IRgYfF2tIA

All statue companies should do whatever they can to prevent bad photos from China being released too early. Panic for nothing.
Thor Odinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 01:57 PM   #340
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Looks pretty darn good to me based upon that youtube review. Perfect? No. 90% there (like he said). Yes.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote