Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC

Old 08-11-2020, 04:37 AM   #11
xb24
Sinister Six

Aside from Bowen and DC Direct what other collectible companies have shutdown?
xb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:47 AM   #12
built2shred
Phoenix

Wow, I didn't see this coming... Although I don't really buy anything from DC Direct anymore that's sad news as they were a great place for new collectors to start or collectors who were on a budget... bummer...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:52 AM   #13
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb24 View Post
Aside from Bowen and DC Direct what other collectible companies have shutdown?
I wonder if the virus had something to do with DC Direct shutting down, sales might have dropped off a lot since people have been loosing their jobs...

I'm curious to how big of a slow down Sideshow and other companies are seeing...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:20 AM   #14
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Wow, I didn't see this coming... Although I don't really buy anything from DC Direct anymore that's sad news as they were a great place for new collectors to start or collectors who were on a budget... bummer...
I started with Bowen and DC Direct in 90's and now both are gone. I don't know if this is a COVID thing though. Ever since AT&T took over there's been a ton of maneuvers to get rid of redundancy. WB already has a collectible department, DC Direct was the off shoot that handled just DC Comics properties. So I wonder if AT&T just saw it as a waste and eliminated it even though there's no way they'll be able to put out as much as DC Direct did unless they really expand WB's side. Makes me think only a few lines will continue, the rest will be done away with.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:23 AM   #15
alshadow
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I wonder if the virus had something to do with DC Direct shutting down, sales might have dropped off a lot since people have been loosing their jobs...

I'm curious to how big of a slow down Sideshow and other companies are seeing...
I'm sure the virus had something to do with it in some way. But this is part of a company-wide shake up by Warner Media. DC Comics and their DC Universe streaming app had major layoffs as well.
alshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:12 AM   #16
jeremydmc
Black Panther

Wow, didn't see that coming. I was hoping they would do a line of statues/figures from Stargirl and continue the Bombshells line. I only have 2 things on PO through them currently. I hope they are still going to get made since they have delivery dates coming up soon.

It also sucks so many people lost their jobs. I wonder if this is another step toward DC going digital for their comics. They already moved several over to digital only that they were cancelling to finish out their run.
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:46 AM   #17
ruzzell
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

I really think its going to be hard to get anywhere near the value for the money that DC Direct offered. The designer statue series and some of the artist runs on the DC covergirls especially I have not seen done at any other company. The XM studios 1/6 and Tweeterhead Superpowers lines are nice, but cost way more.
ruzzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:56 AM   #18
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alshadow View Post
I'm sure the virus had something to do with it in some way. But this is part of a company-wide shake up by Warner Media. DC Comics and their DC Universe streaming app had major layoffs as well.
Again, AT&T, They don't see the comics as a money maker only as an IP farm for TV and Film and they have HBOMAX so DCU is redundant and to them, useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post
Wow, didn't see that coming. I was hoping they would do a line of statues/figures from Stargirl and continue the Bombshells line. I only have 2 things on PO through them currently. I hope they are still going to get made since they have delivery dates coming up soon.

It also sucks so many people lost their jobs. I wonder if this is another step toward DC going digital for their comics. They already moved several over to digital only that they were cancelling to finish out their run.
From what I'm hearing around the internet, not that any of it is fact, is that DC Direct products will probably be good through the year as they are in production but after that it's all up in the air. I think the WB collectibles company might continue the really popular lines but quite a few will be cut and McFarlane is now doing the DC Action Figures so expect that to continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzzell View Post
I really think its going to be hard to get anywhere near the value for the money that DC Direct offered. The designer statue series and some of the artist runs on the DC covergirls especially I have not seen done at any other company. The XM studios 1/6 and Tweeterhead Superpowers lines are nice, but cost way more.
Agreed, Sure a lot of us Collect Sideshow, XM, Iron Studios and others that are more expensive but DC Direct was fantastic for smaller pieces at an awesome price. I was looking forward to their 1/10th scale Joker Artist line, I have the Bolland Joker on PO.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:10 AM   #19
MapleDonut
Justice League

How incredibly sad for all these people who have lost their jobs at the absolute worst time.

They produced a lot of great stuff.
MapleDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:21 AM   #20
rykerw1701
Justice League

This just sucks. Sucks for us collectors, and far more for those directly impacted. Makes you think printed DC comics are not long for this world.
rykerw1701 is offline   Reply With Quote