Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 07-01-2021, 02:31 PM   #1001
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Wow never seen that dio before. At least from these pics that Arnold likeness is outstanding.
It was a big deal when it was first released during the 'Predator Stuff' days.
The SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 03:39 PM   #1002
VILE GUILE
The X-Men

Yea, this is the flagship Predator piece to own if it comes out great, but saying we'll never see one better is pretty funny to me.

You're wondering which companies in the future can best this one? My guess is Prime 1 themselves. If this one becomes a profitable huge success, I can see them doing another in a dynamic pose that some will argue is the one to own! Not to mention they'll have the little mistakes they made on this one corrected. Never say never. Unless you only got a few years left on the ol' ticker...
VILE GUILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 03:42 PM   #1003
Blade3327
Nightwing

Would love to see Queen Studios get this license, but they probably have their hands (and licensing budgets) full with MCU stuff.
Blade3327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:16 PM   #1004
Dundee
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by VILE GUILE View Post
Yea, this is the flagship Predator piece to own if it comes out great, but saying we'll never see one better is pretty funny to me.

You're wondering which companies in the future can best this one? My guess is Prime 1 themselves. If this one becomes a profitable huge success, I can see them doing another in a dynamic pose that some will argue is the one to own! Not to mention they'll have the little mistakes they made on this one corrected. Never say never. Unless you only got a few years left on the ol' ticker...
Good guess and that also crossed my mind, Prime 1 beating their own and possibly redoing another one...then I thought about it, if they do it'll be a different scale range (like 1/4 to 1/3) and looking at the scales left, I don't believe they or any other company will touch 1/2, it's too odd of a size for a predator, the cost and appeal won't likely make any profitable return. 1/4 and 1/3 is the range to milk for predators.

They won't do more dynamic, as this one in some angles, is already quite action oriented, anymore dynamic, it'll start to lose presence and focus, for me anyway, maybe some will dig it but if it's something like hanging off a tree I will be avoiding lol. As Shogun mentioned, it's not even the realism aspect per se but the art direction being top notch, that in itself will be very difficult to beat, without blowing the budget.

I guess the big questions are can this be beaten AND at the same price range? (So not double indexed cost, but real costs relative to inflation indicators over the next decade). Realism, maybe, but conceptually it's quite difficult to imagine. To top both whilst doing so at a reasonable price? I'm leaning towards zilch. Not saying it can't be beaten if someone spends more $ but at the same $$? Very hard to imagine right now.
Dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:55 PM   #1005
VILE GUILE
The X-Men

Statue making will evolve like everything else we think looks great presently. Just like videogames & T.V.'s. we thought they couldn't get much better looking, but they continue to. I like this statue's pose a lot, but it's a museum pose all the way. (he's just standing there)

If they make another Jungle Hunter 1:3 statue in 5-10 years from now in a dynamic pose, I'm sure it will top this one, that is if they're still in business? Who knows, there could be some new company that joins the game and turns Prime 1 into the next Sideshow?
VILE GUILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:07 PM   #1006
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
Good guess and that also crossed my mind, Prime 1 beating their own and possibly redoing another one...then I thought about it, if they do it'll be a different scale range (like 1/4 to 1/3) and looking at the scales left, I don't believe they or any other company will touch 1/2, it's too odd of a size for a predator, the cost and appeal won't likely make any profitable return. 1/4 and 1/3 is the range to milk for predators.

They won't do more dynamic, as this one in some angles, is already quite action oriented, anymore dynamic, it'll start to lose presence and focus, for me anyway, maybe some will dig it but if it's something like hanging off a tree I will be avoiding lol. As Shogun mentioned, it's not even the realism aspect per se but the art direction being top notch, that in itself will be very difficult to beat, without blowing the budget.

I guess the big questions are can this be beaten AND at the same price range? (So not double indexed cost, but real costs relative to inflation indicators over the next decade). Realism, maybe, but conceptually it's quite difficult to imagine. To top both whilst doing so at a reasonable price? I'm leaning towards zilch. Not saying it can't be beaten if someone spends more $ but at the same $$? Very hard to imagine right now.
People buy lots of characters half scale. Hot sales always dictate more sales in this game. That is the name of the game. Difference in cost to Prime 1 between this and a 1/2 would be not make huge difference. People are always shocked the rare times we do see the COGS on these and the majority is mainly labor these materials are a pittance. Industrial scale polyester is mighty cheap.
Biggest cost is just the entire production run. Now we don't all really believe these things are priced mainly on cost do we? DO WE???

Also as has been mentioned by producers larger scales are actually easier to work with. Fine small details are the hardest parts both for accurate castings and paint.

Now none of that is to say a 1/2 scale wouldn't cost a premium but if Prime 1 has already made their money with the license on Big Game, this and the others then they might do a bargain for a larger size.

I'm not implying anyone wait for 1/2 just running through the possibilities. Another way of looking at it is it would be a LOT harder sell for Prime 1 to do 1/2 followed by a 1/3 instead of the 1/3 1st just like what they did making 1/4 Big Game movie style then this.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:57 PM   #1007
Freakyguy666
Sinister Six

Only way this 1/3 P1 is the definitive version is if you don’t care about accuracy.

First off, this Pred ate WAY too many donuts.

Second, the knee pads are completely inaccurate.

Third, the pose is not unique.

The 1/3.5 scale P1 isn’t FAT and includes the closed mouth bust as well as a VERY UNIQUE POSE—especially when paired with the victim/tree, it makes a much bigger impact.

As for the paint apps, based on the in-hand photos, this seems to have been corrected since the very first shipments.
Freakyguy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:24 PM   #1008
Dundee
Hydra

Quote:
People buy lots of characters half scale. Hot sales always dictate more sales in this game. That is the name of the game. Difference in cost to Prime 1 between this and a 1/2 would be not make huge difference. People are always shocked the rare times we do see the COGS on these and the majority is mainly labor these materials are a pittance. Industrial scale polyester is mighty cheap.
Biggest cost is just the entire production run. Now we don't all really believe these things are priced mainly on cost do we? DO WE???

Also as has been mentioned by producers larger scales are actually easier to work with. Fine small details are the hardest parts both for accurate castings and paint.

Now none of that is to say a 1/2 scale wouldn't cost a premium but if Prime 1 has already made their money with the license on Big Game, this and the others then they might do a bargain for a larger size.

I'm not implying anyone wait for 1/2 just running through the possibilities. Another way of looking at it is it would be a LOT harder sell for Prime 1 to do 1/2 followed by a 1/3 instead of the 1/3 1st just like what they did making 1/4 Big Game movie style then this.
1/2 scale pred is different from 1/2 scale humanoid statues, most people tend to forget this. 1.25-1.3 metres tall for a pred statue is a bizarre size. Maybe some folks will dig it, but I can't imagine it being a popular size, hence projects like that would be shelved before they even begin. As you said hot sales dictate more sales and I just don't see 1/2 scale pred being a hot sale item due to its no man's land size.

The argument that labour costs and materials is pittance is kind of redundant. I could also say art work painting is just paper and paint. Or a boat is made of metal and wood.

Prime 1 doing a bargain larger size because of profits made from Big Game is wishful thinking. There a business not a charity.

The big money after 1/3 JH and 1/3 CH is a 1/3 Wolf pred and I'm sure their marketing team are well aware. They would want to be top dog for the 1/3 Wolf, the fans want this, they also profit. Win win situation.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:05 PM   #1009
Dundee
Hydra

Quote:
Sorry I misread that part and assumed you mean prime 1 doing a bargain piece.

This could actually be a possibility if the company doesn't care about it's reputation, quality and wants to pump up a larger size at a bargain. Now I wonder which company comes to mind....think it starts with S
Old 07-02-2021, 12:11 AM   #1010
pau123
Sailor Moon

Hahahahahhahahahahahahaha
pau123 is offline   Reply With Quote