Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 08:14 AM   #21
yipkusing
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

At this point, IMHO, SS should focus on their QC instead of creating another "art print line" to make more money. It hurts seeing a reputable such as this company went down the drain like this. But on a side note, I love their customer service.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:15 AM   #22
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

A lot of speculation on this thread.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:30 AM   #23
Spidey976
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

I hate to say it, but why support a forum where you are getting literally torn apart. When I first joined this forum I remember thinking how well maintained the discussions were, and how much I enjoyed the interaction between the SSC staff and artists and the community. That hasn't been the case for quite awhile now.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:42 AM   #24
wanderlai
The Tick

I think the vast majority have been fair with their criticism and praise of all companies. Of course you have die hard fans of this or that company but that's in anything. If SS decided to stop supporting this popular forum because they can't take the heat that's just sad. Just when they turn the corner on better QCd statues ( due to the criticism on the forums IMO) they take their ball home and pout. I guess their support is contingent on the forum mods cracking down on decent from subpar statues like the Freaks forum went to.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:52 AM   #25
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Business is a tough undertaking, and maintaining customer satisfaction is just as big a sub task of that undertaking! If, and that is a big "IF", Sideshow really did pull support for this forum because of the negative criticism, then as a company, they've completely failed.

Sycophants help no one, a company NEEDS to know where and how it's failing in order to improve and solidify its market share. If SS is only interested in nurturing sites that tow their party line, then all they're doing is helping to nail shut their own coffin.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:55 AM   #26
Spidey976

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlai View Post
I think the vast majority have been fair with their criticism and praise of all companies. Of course you have die hard fans of this or that company but that's in anything. If SS decided to stop supporting this popular forum because they can't take the heat that's just sad. Just when they turn the corner on better QCd statues ( due to the criticism on the forums IMO) they take their ball home and pout. I guess their support is contingent on the forum mods cracking down on decent from subpar statues like the Freaks forum went to.
The Freaks forum didn't crack down on constructive criticism or critiques that are worth while. They cracked down on the "this is ----ing garbage" type of comments that aren't in anyway constructive. Check out the Iron Man Mark 42 thread over there or the Iron Patriot Thread. Trust me there are as many harsh comments over there as there are here. They are for the most part more targeted and specific. As someone who has spent a lot of time trying to up my game artistically targeted specific praise or criticism is the only way you grow and develop. However, bashing or slamming a company over and over again, sometimes for things that they haven't even done wrong yet (QC arguments about statues that are a year off from release anyone), doesn't help a thing. Now I think there is more to it then that mind you, I do think that the measured and targeted comments that come from many here have been helpful, but when even a member like myself who is only occasionally on the boards can see the change in the climate it is significant
Old 08-21-2015, 09:01 AM   #27
wanderlai
The Tick

People tend to get upset when they spend hundreds on a statue only to get something far off the mark. When a really good statue comes out ie Lobo they get plenty of praise. Most know that the Freaks site has a mod that regularly leaves snarky remarks on all other companies stuff and loves shutting down any SS criticism in any form.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:02 AM   #28
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post

Sycophants help no one, a company NEEDS to know where and how it's failing in order to improve and solidify its market share.

You'd think/hope that were true. There's this one particular statue-forum type website which actually defines sycophancy. They ended up getting numerous website statue/bust exclusives as well as regular visits from the production company to answer questions and so on. Sycophancy can work. A bubble was created where everything is amazing, and the company/website appeared to thrive for a while.

The ideal world you might be alluding to may not be most people's cup of tea. People generally gravitate towards praise and pleasure and steer away from criticism regardless of how much sense it might make. As a general rule, people do not like to hear how wrong or misguided they might be. Can that potentially impact a company's bottom line? Sure. However, sycophancy could also be lucrative for others. Sycophancy is also contagious. A company can live off the fumes of hype for years.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:15 AM   #29
outlikealight
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Sarri View Post
A lot of speculation on this thread.

[
Any comments to put some of the speculation to rest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey976 View Post
The Freaks forum didn't crack down on constructive criticism or critiques that are worth while. They cracked down on the "this is ----ing garbage" type of comments that aren't in anyway constructive. Check out the Iron Man Mark 42 thread over there or the Iron Patriot Thread. Trust me there are as many harsh comments over there as there are here. They are for the most part more targeted and specific. As someone who has spent a lot of time trying to up my game artistically targeted specific praise or criticism is the only way you grow and develop. However, bashing or slamming a company over and over again, sometimes for things that they haven't even done wrong yet (QC arguments about statues that are a year off from release anyone), doesn't help a thing. Now I think there is more to it then that mind you, I do think that the measured and targeted comments that come from many here have been helpful, but when even a member like myself who is only occasionally on the boards can see the change in the climate it is significant
Old 08-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #30
Spidey976

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlai View Post
People tend to get upset when they spend hundreds on a statue only to get something far off the mark. When a really good statue comes out ie Lobo they get plenty of praise. Most know that the Freaks site has a mod that regularly leaves snarky remarks on all other companies stuff and loves shutting down any SS criticism in any form.
However, target and specific criticism to any one particular SSC piece is left up for all to read. Company bashing when it comes to SSC is usually shut down yes, but a lot of it pointless ranting that serves no purpose and can get the point of simply ranting and raving against windmills. When it is done right, it leads to growth, when it is just a rant it is no better then an Ex Girlfriend screaming "I hate you I hate you I hate you!!!"... It is just noise. As for snarky comments, while I haven't seen a mod on here do it, I have seen members here who seem to like nothing better than to hammer on SSC no matter how great a statue looks. If SSC has decided not to support the forums I am disappointed, but in the end we aren't talking about just taking a ball and going home... we are talking about the companies money.
Closed Thread