Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 06-06-2015, 09:08 PM   #11
zeus
What's another word for Thesaurus?

I think its the Mondo name printed on the corner of the poster that sells more than anything else.Some of the Art i've seen really sucked in my opinion
zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:14 PM   #12
biglebowski9999
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Mondo does just enough (barely) to remain on top. When you think they are dead and buried, they come up with a big show and the hype machine resets. Like the the upcoming Jurassic Park show. I have been interested in almost nothing from them for about two years.
biglebowski9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:06 PM   #13
captainhigh5
Doh!

They are clearly losing steam though. Losing the Age of Ultron licensing to Hero Complex Gallery is pretty big, but they slowly make up for it with Jurassic Park. I haven't bought one of their posters in like over a year and half. I find myself being drawn more to HCG, Bottleneck, Gallery 1988, and GMA. They just know that they are still king and can do whatever until someone takes them down.
captainhigh5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:36 PM   #14
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
Those other galleries might have good artists but they don't have the Mondo combination. Even that recent Avengers 2 show, I don't think people were jumping about prints from that. It seemed to have little interest here. But if it was a Mondo Avengers show. Almost guaranteed sell out. Even if the prints sucked.
The thing that killed that HCG AOU show for me was that so many of the artists were content regurgitating the marketing images. I refuse to buy art that is a mere reworking of a promotional picture or screen capture.

That is the difference between what Mondo did for The Avengers versus what HCG offered for AoU (with a few wonderful exceptions)
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:45 PM   #15
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhigh5 View Post
They are clearly losing steam though. Losing the Age of Ultron licensing to Hero Complex Gallery is pretty big, but they slowly make up for it with Jurassic Park. I haven't bought one of their posters in like over a year and half. I find myself being drawn more to HCG, Bottleneck, Gallery 1988, and GMA. They just know that they are still king and can do whatever until someone takes them down.
It may be the hobby in general TBH. There is a TON of art out there. Mondo is getting to be a hard sell on the secondary market, save your perennial favourites like Stout. I had a 1/75 Kill Bill NYCC exclusive variant that went unsold on eBay recently.... opening bid was cost plus shipping.

Watch this JP show. Everyone will lose their minds for the Horkey and the bridesmaid will be the Francavilla. Ater that all the other pieces will be available for $20 over what it cost the buyer to acquire them a year from now, sooner if JW is not well received.

My wife went crazy for their Disney show and I chased a lot of that art that went for stupid money up front. Now it is only the Moss that goes for big money, with Holt as the bridesmaid and the rest is somewhat readily available. I gave a poster buddy a Stout for grabbing me everything I wanted at that Batman 75 show (brokered the arrangement in good faith before any reveals). I love a bunch of the acquisitions and I made a good friend out of the deal but once again all that stuff is pretty easy to garner now.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:52 PM   #16
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

The numbers at times makes you wonder how many people are out there that really want the art. And how much is going to flippers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
The thing that killed that HCG AOU show for me was that so many of the artists were content regurgitating the marketing images. I refuse to buy art that is a mere reworking of a promotional picture or screen capture.

That is the difference between what Mondo did for The Avengers versus what HCG offered for AoU (with a few wonderful exceptions)
Honestly I didn't see much of interest at that show. There were a few but either likenesses were off or the limited color screen print nature didn't do much for me.

Using the marketing images was something I didn't notice too much as nothing really grabbed my attention.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:05 PM   #17
bumtickler
Doh!

Hey everyone, First post! Long time collector of prints. Just found out about this place. Seems killer... As for this topic, I have not bought from Mondo since the Horkey FOTR and I have purchased from GMA the last 4 drops ( Petrie Rambo, Pittides American Psycho, Pullin ED2 and Ferguson Iron Man). That says alot. To me, MOndo just seems a bit out of it in terms of art direction, if there is any. I did like the Danger Hannibal but I dont watch the show. Now with Justin gone, lets see what happens, maybe fresh blood will rejuvenate the brand. But right now, GMA may be poised to take over the poster game.
bumtickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:11 PM   #18
Whirl Wind Boy
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumtickler View Post
Hey everyone, First post! Long time collector of prints. Just found out about this place. Seems killer... As for this topic, I have not bought from Mondo since the Horkey FOTR and I have purchased from GMA the last 4 drops ( Petrie Rambo, Pittides American Psycho, Pullin ED2 and Ferguson Iron Man). That says alot. To me, MOndo just seems a bit out of it in terms of art direction, if there is any. I did like the Danger Hannibal but I dont watch the show. Now with Justin gone, lets see what happens, maybe fresh blood will rejuvenate the brand. But right now, GMA may be poised to take over the poster game.
I agree, GMA has been on fire lately. Even the prints i have no intention of buying, i can appreciate the art.
Whirl Wind Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:16 AM   #19
cstojano
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
I think the better question is how the hell did Mondo get so popular in the first place.
Olly Moss Star Wars set.

The entire print business seems ripe for collapse. So much is pumped out and contrary to say 3-4 years ago so little of it seems original. There is a very short list of movies I would ever bother with so these companies really trolling the depths of pop culture is a head scratcher for me and the novelty of some of the films doesn't justify a 12x18 let alone a 24x36.
cstojano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:24 PM   #20
RELStuart
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I bought the Manev Captain America First Avengers set from Grey Matter. His Age of Ultron print sold out with HCG fairly quickly but his Grey Matter print set is still available several days later. I already have the Stout Cap but I liked this one. Hoping he does a Captain America Winter Soldier set too.
RELStuart is offline   Reply With Quote