Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 08:56 AM   #1
Babytoxie
Ghost

What's the most offensive comic you've read?

This could be anything from a book that truly disgusted you, to one that made you laugh in disbelief (as in "I can't believe they printed that"). Offense to your general sensibilities, religious beliefs, and political views are all valid, though there can certainly be more.

Mine would have to be Hellboy Junior. I flipped through this while organizing my trades last night and was amazed yet again at how vile this book is. It's a parody of Harvey Comics and Hanna-Barbera cartoons, with Hellboy in the role of Li'l Hot Stuff. Trust me, this book is bad, bad, bad... incest, bestiality, and Adolf Hitler are just a small fraction of the "gags" in this book. In fact, I'm amazed Mike Mignola was even involved. But in spite of all that, it makes me laugh (uncomfortably) every time.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:02 AM   #2
Batwing
Cobra Command

Honestly?

Well, it was a very well written story and therefore a good comic, but I did react.

I'm talking about Daredevil # 1 by Kevin Smith. I know a lot of comics reflect what is in our lives, what's in the world. It's just that in the final panel Karen Page announced that she has AIDS (she didn't, in the end) and I reacted with a "Damn, I know this stuff is real and it is a terrible thing, but I read comics to escape into fantasy! I don't want to read about stuff that's in the news, really."

Likewise, I want my superheroes to fight supervillains (which themselves can REPRESENT evil) but these are archetypes. I am not as keen to read about Batman fighting Al-Queda, that's all. Just my opinion.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:53 AM   #3
sketch515
Artist
ArtistProducer

oh this is an easy one, johnny the homicital maniac!
Old 09-18-2007, 09:54 AM   #4
Meta Jon
Daredevil

anyone with a cover price of over $2.00
Old 09-18-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
MiamiLoco
BD is the best (and I'm not talkin' about Bowen Designs)!!!

The Boys!!
Old 09-18-2007, 10:05 AM   #6
abarron
Batman

Nothing really.

But the first couple of issues of Punisher Max were a bit different to how i saw comics at the time.

Spider-Man+Black cat made me a little uncomfortable story wise
Old 09-18-2007, 10:06 AM   #7
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLoco View Post
The Boys!!
That gets my vote, when the guy at my LCS made me pick up the TPB i was floored. Funny and sick at the same time.

Tied for second is: The Pro and Authority: Marv
Old 09-18-2007, 10:39 AM   #8
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarron View Post
Spider-Man+Black cat made me a little uncomfortable story wise
Spiderman/Black Cat: The Evil That Men Do? Yeah, that shocked me just because it was so damn bad. The content was shocking, I guess, but also forced and unbelievable. I usually love KS' writing--especially his dialogue--but that whole thing was way phoned in.

Just read "Satan's $#! Baby" or whatever that was from The Goon, and that was just meh, I thought. It was supposed to be shocking, and I guess it was, but it was also sort of pointless. Ah, well.

But this is my reaction to most of the "offensive" stuff I've read. It leans too heavily on the shock, and there's not enough story to carry it.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:41 AM   #9
patrickwm68
The Flash

Anything put out by Verotik could be viewed as offensive. I'm more offended by books who kill children for shock value like Amazons Attack #1.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:51 AM   #10
Lizard King
Death is hereditary.

All-Star Batman and Robin did it for me. I love Lee's art, but what Miller has done to Batman is pretty disturbing. A close second would be Morrison's X-men issue when the Beast was brutally beaten by Beak with a baseball bat (say that three times). At the time what he was doing with the X-men was a real turnoff for me.
Closed Thread