Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 02-28-2014, 01:08 AM   #6321
Sithlord32
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
No - it's more that the story isn't really worth revisiting. Also, I think, after seeing in the theater, it will be a letdown on my tv - which is bigger than 15"
I agree i said it before in the movie review thread...this i think needed to be seen on the big screen to appreciate its value in all aspects... on a home TV (coming from a owner of a 50" LED smart HDTV) its just not the same. Its worth watching for sure but I wouldnt buy it unless it was under $10.
Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:17 AM   #6322
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithlord32 View Post
I agree i said it before in the movie review thread...this i think needed to be seen on the big screen to appreciate its value in all aspects... on a home TV (coming from a owner of a 50" LED smart HDTV) its just not the same. Its worth watching for sure but I wouldnt buy it unless it was under $10.
Do you own a lot of movies? Just curious.

Most if not all visually impressive movies can be better appreciated on the big screen. To me that doesn't make them any less valuable in my collection.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:54 AM   #6323
Sithlord32
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Do you own a lot of movies? Just curious.

Most if not all visually impressive movies can be better appreciated on the big screen. To me that doesn't make them any less valuable in my collection.
I agree with you. Its not always about the visuals at all. If the story dosent do anything for me then the visuals dont usually really do much for me either. The ratio needs to be at least even id rather have 70% story and experience and 30% visual stimulation.
Gravity had its merits but IMO for myself it didnt break any new ground for me besides the visuals so that's why i guess I feel the way I do.
To answer your first question, yes I do but its a modest collection I wont buy just anything because its cheap. So in correlation to that question and my prior statement let me give you a short list of my top few must have or "favorite" movies and if you've seen them maybe what I have had to say will come across with some backbone and not just hearsay.

In no particular order...
Kingdom of Heaven
Conan the Barbarian (1982)
Kill Bill (as a whole story 1&2)
Texas chainsaw Massacre 2003
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (with subtitles)
Halloween 1 ( Rob Zombie)
Gran Torino
Seven Samurai The Criterion Collection
Star Trek 2009
X-Men 1st Class
SW and LOTR purposely omitted cause well they are kind of a given and in their own league respectively.
Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:58 AM   #6324
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I dunno. Personally the theatrical experience isn't what it used to be. Much of that has to do with the advances in home theater technology but a big part of it, for me anyways, are the distractions coming from the audience. Cell phone users, talkers, eaters... they all bother me and it seems much more prevalent than when I went to the cinema growing up. You can have your experience ruined just as easily as you can have a memorable one nowadays. I've found I generally have a more immersive experience in my controlled environment, watching my 80" screen, surround sound tweaked to my liking with the ability to pause the film for bathroom breaks.

All that being said I still love going to the movies. It can be a special experience with the right company but it just isn't a necessity to me so much anymore as I feel I can get the full impact of a film at home now.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:55 AM   #6325
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Alright, now you guys are making me rethink my plan to blind buy this. Guess I'll give it a rent first.
That's what i would do. I've read overrated one too many times to describe this movie. Not only that usually movies that all the critics cream themselves over suck @ss.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #6326
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

If ever there was a movie to be seen at the cinema it was Gravity. Best experience I've had at the cinema in years. I'm not sure how it will play at home in comparison. But I will add it to the collection.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:43 PM   #6327
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
It's a very good movie. If you're planning on watching it soon I would just buy it now. I haven't bought one yet because I've seen it and I can wait for a sale.
Quote:
I think this movie is more of an experience than a story. That could explain why some are at odds with it's narrative.

I thought it was very engaging, emotional and visually impressive. Enough check marks to put it in my library.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post

If it meets all those qualifications than it is library worthy to me as well.

Also my girl wants to see it pretty bad and when I factor I would've spent more in the theater to see it than the BD costs I guess it's a no-brainer.
Scott I completely agree with Luminous' comments about Gravity. I can see people feeling that it was over hyped, but I thought it was a great film. Not everything needs to be Star Wars in May of '77. Cuaron has said this was a small personal film, and he feels that has escaped people because of the visuals. This film is not unlike Castaway, but set in outer space. Anyway, I personally enjoyed this quite a bit and will definitely be picking it up when it drops a bit. Your logic about getting it versus money spent at the theater is correct, I say get it now and give the 80" screen a workout.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:48 PM   #6328
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Thanks Tony. Yeah I'm gonna pick it up.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:51 PM   #6329
El Diablo
Doom Patrol

Watched gravity the other day and gave it 10/10 in the other thread, agree though that the bigger the screen you can watch it on the better and preferably in 3D with surround sound if you can. Stunning film though.
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:21 PM   #6330
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

A couple of new additions (of mostly older movies). The Book Thief is a blind buy, mainly cause my wife loves the book. Always loved The Star Chamber. It's a guilty pleasure, and I have Slither on HD-DVD (but I don't want to talk about it)

Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote