Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-28-2016, 02:58 PM   #671
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Yup, Kallark. Thanks!

I'd LOVE Apoc and Iceman too. I say all the time, I don't know why more Iceman product isn't out. I would think with no paint app it's pretty easy money for the factories, but then it just occurred to me that maybe getting clear resin consistent, without flaws and bubbles, etc is hard. Dunno.

Have fun!
Clear resin is a softer material and you can run into a lot of problems using it with statues, especially when you get into the 1:4 and 1:3 markets where weight becomes a serious issue. Just read up on what happened with XM and Thor's spinning hammer.

http://www.xm-studios.com/xms-diffic...-mjolnirs.aspx

They wound up having to destroy all 999 spinning hammers. Ouch!!!
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:03 PM   #672
lucifixion
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

XM's problem was more with how thin it had to be for the spinning effect of the hammer, though. Iceman would not need thin pieces of clear resin, so structurally it shouldn't be an issue.
lucifixion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:28 PM   #673
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifixion View Post
XM's problem was more with how thin it had to be for the spinning effect of the hammer, though. Iceman would not need thin pieces of clear resin, so structurally it shouldn't be an issue.
I wasn't stating it couldn't be done. I was just stating that its a softer material and that you can run into problems with it especially at the heavier weights, which might be one of the reasons you don't see a lot of them in the market. Yes, the Thor spinning hammer was thin in some part's, but it only took 30 days for that effect to happen. Over a much longer length of time you can start to see issues with even some of the thicker heavier parts especially if the conditions in the room your storing it change regularly.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:26 PM   #674
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Interesting.

I imagine that hammer, and most clear resins we're seeing, are polyester resins. A solution might have been (and perhaps could be for 1:4 Iceman) to use epoxy resin. That's a lot stronger, but more expensive. The cost may be offset though because the factory paint app would be minuscule on Iceman.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:22 PM   #675
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khufu View Post
A few years back I had bought these PVC Marvel miniatures from a clearance section at the Disney store. I just bought them for the heck of it and I had totally forgot about them. Then I was going to through some boxes the other day, and there they were...

So, I figured why not setup a quick display with my Sentinel Maquette for funsies. Anyway, this is probably the closest I'm going to get to a Sentinel vs. X-Men diorama unless I break down and finance XM's.

Fantastic. The size of the sentinel scaled to those miniatures. Woah!
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #676
gomur
The Tick

Some fun captioning from way way back. If there's one negative for me, I wish the sentinel had a variety of switch-out arms like the Bowen. Of course, then I'd be tempted to buy more than one soooo good thing?

gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:17 PM   #677
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Haha! Awesome Gomur!
GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:49 AM   #678
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Gomur! I love the edits! I love doing those kinds of things with my statues!
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:59 AM   #679
IzeroI
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khufu View Post
Who needs XM when you've got this
IzeroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:41 AM   #680
Hellsbells51
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post
Some fun captioning from way way back. If there's one negative for me, I wish the sentinel had a variety of switch-out arms like the Bowen. Of course, then I'd be tempted to buy more than one soooo good thing?

I remember that episode! Though I hated Morph cuz that stupid annoying laugh of his so I didn't mind him getting blasted by the Sentinels...lol!

I almost bought two Sentinels because you can switch the heads out and turn their position. From different angles they would look a bit different. Seeing that XM dio made me decide not to...lol!
Hellsbells51 is offline   Reply With Quote