Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-28-2016, 05:39 PM   #1741
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

I also prefer the EX hair, but I wouldn't miss it if I managed to get a regular cheaper, as the faces are the same. I also already have the Tweeterhead Yvonne Craig Batgirl, so I would likely display the reg for variety and because the windswept hair looks better if you futz enough with the wired cap to match the Artgerm piece.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:48 PM   #1742
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadekite22 View Post
I also prefer the EX hair, but I wouldn't miss it if I managed to get a regular cheaper, as the faces are the same. I also already have the Tweeterhead Yvonne Craig Batgirl, so I would likely display the reg for variety and because the windswept hair looks better if you futz enough with the wired cap to match the Artgerm piece.
I would display it w/o the cape for variety's sake. My other statues already have capes.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:49 PM   #1743
COI

I have the EX but I would be just as content with either head.

But even with really good exclusives, my general rule is, if it's in pre-order status and I have room on my plate, I get the EX. If I have to get it later, I typically won't pay more than $100 or so extra for the EX. If I can't get it in that range, I'll get the reg or just pass all together.

EXs are generally preferable to me just because you might as well have the complete package, but not if I have to pay a significant premium. I'll never understand the premiums paid on the secondary market for most pieces in general, as there's always new stuff you can buy at retail price for that money, but to each their own.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:17 PM   #1744
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post

But even with really good exclusives, my general rule is, if it's in pre-order status and I have room on my plate, I get the EX. If I have to get it later, I typically won't pay more than $100 or so extra for the EX. If I can't get it in that range, I'll get the reg or just pass all together.

EXs are generally preferable to me just because you might as well have the complete package, but not if I have to pay a significant premium. I'll never understand the premiums paid on the secondary market for most pieces in general, as there's always new stuff you can buy at retail price for that money, but to each their own.
I agree 100%. I never buy statues on the secondary market. The prices are insane on the items I am interested in. I would MUCH rather just put that money into new purchases and get a lot more for my money. And in regards to new statues, I am an EX or bust buyer. If I am buying a statue, I am getting the EX. Its that simple. I basically pre order all of my statues so the EX is the same exact price as the regular. So it just doesn't make sense for me not to get an EX. Every statue I own from Sideshow is an EX, unless its a statue that didn't have an EX.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:27 PM   #1745
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I agree 100%. I never buy statues on the secondary market. The prices are insane on the items I am interested in. I would MUCH rather just put that money into new purchases and get a lot more for my money. And in regards to new statues, I am an EX or bust buyer. If I am buying a statue, I am getting the EX. Its that simple. I basically pre order all of my statues so the EX is the same exact price as the regular. So it just doesn't make sense for me not to get an EX. Every statue I own from Sideshow is an EX, unless its a statue that didn't have an EX.
A few years ago, I wasn't an 'EX or bust' buyer at all, and half my purchases were regulars because I could save a bunch of money locally. But as prices and edition sizes creep higher and higher, I've leaned more and more into your camp. I still get the occasional reg if it's an awesome deal, but since our currency has tanked and I'm paying through the nose either way on pieces with high edition sizes, might as well just spring for the EX.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:06 AM   #1746
danteipp
Hellboy

There are some fantastic deals to be had however on reg's (and some EX's) on eBay if you time it right. Many times this happens when a sale concludes on a holiday or at odd hours. To the point where I have felt bad for the seller, not putting a reserve on the piece. (I am a nice guy and have let two (2) sellers out of the sale because they would have taken a bath, lol.) I also enjoy the chase on certain pieces that I like but did not have to have initially.
danteipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:41 AM   #1747
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by danteipp View Post
There are some fantastic deals to be had however on reg's (and some EX's) on eBay if you time it right. Many times this happens when a sale concludes on a holiday or at odd hours. To the point where I have felt bad for the seller, not putting a reserve on the piece. (I am a nice guy and have let two (2) sellers out of the sale because they would have taken a bath, lol.) I also enjoy the chase on certain pieces that I like but did not have to have initially.
Likely a smart decision too, considering, if the seller felt ripped off, he/she would put less care into packaging the statue. Broken statues are annoying even when they're cheap.

The chase is an inextricable part of the hobby for me, mostly due to my taste in older pieces and having grown up going from store to store (and sometimes restaurants) hunting down certain action figures and kids meal toys. It gives everything piece in my collection a story even if it's interesting to no one but myself and makes my reluctance to sell things border on unhealthy.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:08 AM   #1748
danteipp
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadekite22 View Post
Likely a smart decision too, considering, if the seller felt ripped off, he/she would put less care into packaging the statue. Broken statues are annoying even when they're cheap.

The chase is an inextricable part of the hobby for me, mostly due to my taste in older pieces and having grown up going from store to store (and sometimes restaurants) hunting down certain action figures and kids meal toys. It gives everything piece in my collection a story even if it's interesting to no one but myself and makes my reluctance to sell things border on unhealthy.
Two similar points to my thinking as well.

One was a member of another group and I just threw out a bid, never expecting to win. He politely asked to rescind the sale and, that is generally fine with me if it is an undue hardship for the seller. I prefer to keep the peace, there is almost always another chance to add a collectible down the line and I could use the good karma.

Like you, I enjoy the chase and the autobiographical memory and significance, when I look at a piece and know how and when it was acquired.

It sounds like you are also similar to me with an almost borderline-hoarder's mentality, lol. I equate the memory of an item to the time, place and/or person I was with and it makes it that much harder to de-clutter in the end.
danteipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:50 PM   #1749
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by danteipp View Post
Two similar points to my thinking as well.

One was a member of another group and I just threw out a bid, never expecting to win. He politely asked to rescind the sale and, that is generally fine with me if it is an undue hardship for the seller. I prefer to keep the peace, there is almost always another chance to add a collectible down the line and I could use the good karma.
I've heard stories where the buyer wasn't as charitable, which I can understand if they stayed up all night for the auction and the seller was a non-communicative jerk. But, there are always cases where people are moving stuff for friends on short notice and can't assess the value until it's too late. Sellers who are jerks tend to cancel sales enough for that to show up in their feedback, so their easy to spot.

Quote:
Like you, I enjoy the chase and the autobiographical memory and significance, when I look at a piece and know how and when it was acquired.

It sounds like you are also similar to me with an almost borderline-hoarder's mentality, lol. I equate the memory of an item to the time, place and/or person I was with and it makes it that much harder to de-clutter in the end.
Exactly. It also leaves me with a lot of funky, mismatched displays, but watching them evolve over time is part of the fun for me.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:56 PM   #1750
dood
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post

of all pieces that received the most flack for not having an edition size.. it's the one I regret cancelling. The Galactus Maquette is a piece that will continue to rise on the secondary market ironically.. and its a piece I now regret not having in my collection. because lets face it, when is anyone gonna release another Galactus that doesnt break the bank
dood is offline   Reply With Quote