Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Community Corner > New England Group

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 11:36 AM   #2941
Sinatra VonDoom
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinReaper View Post
Glad you found the time to get back on the court. It's important to do the things that made us happy and kept us in shape as we get older. I, myself, have started about 8 months ago training again to be able to step onto the full contact karate mat with the hopes of not getting to embarrassed by former fellow students. Its all good! Just perseverance and have fun with it!

Now I just got to drum up more biz!

Dang statue releases come up quick! LOL!

VR
Good luck with that. How long did you study and what style? Don't worry about being embarrassed, that you had the balls and determination to get yourself back out there shows you have nothing to be embarrassed about. Keep us up to date on how it goes brother.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:29 AM   #2942
VinReaper
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Location: Out of my mind! Be back in 5 minutes! (+12517 to the Post Count)
Good Morning NE!

VR
Old 03-05-2010, 10:04 AM   #2943
VinReaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinatra VonDoom View Post
Good luck with that. How long did you study and what style? Don't worry about being embarrassed, that you had the balls and determination to get yourself back out there shows you have nothing to be embarrassed about. Keep us up to date on how it goes brother.
Thanks for the vote of confidence CB! It is definitely much appreciated!

As for training, I trained in a few martial arts, Okinawan Shorin-Ryu and Judo, starting at 6yrs old. I stopped training when I went to college. Too much on my plate. And I always wanted to train in my current style, Kyokushin, since I was a teen, but there weren't any dojos anywhere. So right after college moving back home I found that Kyokushin established a NY Headquarters in Manhattan. And after a New Years Eve night of debauchery, smoking cigars and drinking like a fish, I got up with a hangover and said to myself, "I am a martial artist! I am out of shape and sloppy! What the hell am I doing?" LOL! So I went that day down to the dojo. Yes they were training on New years Day, that's how hardcore they are! And handed them $1000 and said sign me up for the year. The instructor I was talking to asked me if I knew anything about the style and its severity. I said I do and don't worry! After that day, I trained 5 days a week 3hrs a day for 5 years. I was in peak shape. And never felt better. Training stopped again after a car accident where my Ex-GF was driiving and we were hit by joy riding teens doing 65mph while we were stopped at a light! That was 5years ago.

Training is going to begin again! I know I will never be back in competition shape again. You can't fight age, but I can get back into great shape and still hold my own I am hoping!

If you go to youtube and search Kyokushin there are tons of knockout videos to check out!

VR
Old 03-05-2010, 03:17 PM   #2944
Sinatra VonDoom
Adamantium Plus Member

I'm pulling for you VR. You clearly have the passion and that can't be taught. You can provide a great example for the younger guys, fighting back from adversity the way you're doing.

I checked out some videos on youtube, those guys don't F around. I've always loved martial arts and have dabbled a bit. My jacked up hip keeps tripping me up though. Go kick some ass for the two of us.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:27 AM   #2945
VinReaper

Good Morning NE!

VR
Old 03-06-2010, 07:32 AM   #2946
VinReaper

Quote:
I'm pulling for you VR. You clearly have the passion and that can't be taught. You can provide a great example for the younger guys, fighting back from adversity the way you're doing.

I checked out some videos on youtube, those guys don't F around. I've always loved martial arts and have dabbled a bit. My jacked up hip keeps tripping me up though. Go kick some ass for the two of us.
Thanks SVD! Your definitely help build my confidence! And I surely hope I can be an example for the young blokes!

As for not doing it yourself. Sure you can! Maybe not at a certain level, but there are guys that come to the dojo that have ailments. They just tell our instructors and they work around it. No shame whatsoever. In the dojo we are all family and everyone has weakness and short comings. It's yours as well as your fellow students responsibility to help you through and over them.

That is a sign of a good school. Any school that promotes training solely for oneself is a sham and just out for money!

So rock and roll my brother!

VR
Old 03-06-2010, 08:13 AM   #2947
Mr. Kennedy

Old 03-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #2948
Sinatra VonDoom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinReaper View Post
Thanks SVD! Your definitely help build my confidence! And I surely hope I can be an example for the young blokes!

As for not doing it yourself. Sure you can! Maybe not at a certain level, but there are guys that come to the dojo that have ailments. They just tell our instructors and they work around it. No shame whatsoever. In the dojo we are all family and everyone has weakness and short comings. It's yours as well as your fellow students responsibility to help you through and over them.

That is a sign of a good school. Any school that promotes training solely for oneself is a sham and just out for money!

So rock and roll my brother!

VR
I think I will keep up with my strength program for another six months and see where I stand. I would love to get back involved, if for nothing else the comradery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kennedy View Post
Hey man, keep up on the mend.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #2949
VinReaper

Good Morning NE!

VR
Old 03-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #2950
VinReaper

Quote:
I think I will keep up with my strength program for another six months and see where I stand. I would love to get back involved, if for nothing else the comradery.

Hey man, keep up on the mend.
Amen to all of the above!

VR
Closed Thread