Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

Old 12-17-2017, 05:54 PM   #51
OuttaSight
Savage Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilty View Post
Unfortunately, it seems like collecting has gotten increasingly more about the drama than the actual collecting.

I can't fathom why anyone would attempt to bring down another's efforts because of the medium they use. Digital sculpting/traditional sculpting takes a lot of passion and talent both ways.
The internet really brings out the worst in humanity.

Over the past couple years i have drastically reduced my online presence.
OuttaSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:14 PM   #52
PermaGrin
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

Not really a "gem" thing, but from your Newletter...should probably say 'life size'

"Mortal Kombat X SUB ZERO 1:4 Bust EX ONLY 4 LEFT"
PermaGrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:48 PM   #53
Old Snake
Kindly Asked To Leave

It's a "competition" between companies to us as consumers, as these things cost some serious cash. I can't have everything, so I have to find reasons to disqualify many good works, for either aftermarket performance, design or QC issues. Or something I like but it does not fit my collecting theme.

I've sold off about half of my PCS preorders to make room for other companies. Aftermarket performance dictates whether I should PO+pay in full a piece or just get it on sale. Speculation means I can afford more statues. I don't know why producers/artists have such a hard time seeing the business side of it.
Old Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:18 PM   #54
BMW///M3
Blue Falcon

Quote:
Unfortunately, it seems like collecting has gotten increasingly more about the drama than the actual collecting.

I can't fathom why anyone would attempt to bring down another's efforts because of the medium they use. Digital sculpting/traditional sculpting takes a lot of passion and talent both ways.
I really dont think that I for intense im putting anyone down. If I am, i am deeply sorry!
What i was trying to say is, when you have Prime 1 statue at 1 grand and PCS close to one grand they should be on the same quality range...Look a Subzero or Scorpion...what the hell happen there??? These are very expensive pieces to be so bad
Can we get more 1:3 Akuma's work please!!
For me going forward i will ONLY buy a piece that Jerry himself sculpted from head to toe. Love his style! and his a fantastic person to talk too
BMW///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #55
Guilty
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW///M3 View Post
I really dont think that I for intense im putting anyone down. If I am, i am deeply sorry!
What i was trying to say is, when you have Prime 1 statue at 1 grand and PCS close to one grand they should be on the same quality range...Look a Subzero or Scorpion...what the hell happen there??? These are very expensive pieces to be so bad
Can we get more 1:3 Akuma's work please!!
For me going forward i will ONLY buy a piece that Jerry himself sculpted from head to toe. Love his style! and his a fantastic person to talk too
Apologies, I don't mean to target you specifically on that statement. It's mainly comments I've seen not only here, but across social media and other forums.

I've seen people completely discredit sculpts just because they were digital, which I feel is very unfair and disrespectful towards the artist. Even PCS uses both digital and traditional techniques, but I will never discredit them for using one over the other

Digital sculpting doesn't suddenly make someone a extremely skilled at sculpting. I'm not just going to pick up a pen and sculpt the best statue of all time. You still have to put in a huge amount of time, commitment, and passion to get to a high level. It's just like something on paper vs drawing on a tablet, nobody is going to discredit an artist for something they've created.

I wish more people would understand this, because I see it so often that it's alarming that anyone would even think that. I would encourage these people to talk to these sculptors if they could, they would be completely surprised to find out how much is put into the craft.

XM, PCS, Prime 1, First 4 Figures, Sideshow, etc. everyone puts out great things these days. I may not personally like everything, but I feel like collectors are making this into more of a competition than the companies are (if they are even trying to begin with).
Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:59 PM   #56
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Apologies, I don't mean to target you specifically on that statement. It's mainly comments I've seen not only here, but across social media and other forums.

I've seen people completely discredit sculpts just because they were digital, which I feel is very unfair and disrespectful towards the artist. Even PCS uses both digital and traditional techniques, but I will never discredit them for using one over the other

Digital sculpting doesn't suddenly make someone a extremely skilled at sculpting. I'm not just going to pick up a pen and sculpt the best statue of all time. You still have to put in a huge amount of time, commitment, and passion to get to a high level. It's just like something on paper vs drawing on a tablet, nobody is going to discredit an artist for something they've created.

I wish more people would understand this, because I see it so often that it's alarming that anyone would even think that. I would encourage these people to talk to these sculptors if they could, they would be completely surprised to find out how much is put into the craft.

XM, PCS, Prime 1, First 4 Figures, Sideshow, etc. everyone puts out great things these days. I may not personally like everything, but I feel like collectors are making this into more of a competition than the companies are (if they are even trying to begin with).
Thank you for that, I see people doing the same. If half of them even saw Zbrush's interface they would just close the program and walk away.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:48 PM   #57
Morgul Steve
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Snake View Post
It's a "competition" between companies to us as consumers, as these things cost some serious cash. I can't have everything, so I have to find reasons to disqualify many good works, for either aftermarket performance, design or QC issues. Or something I like but it does not fit my collecting theme.

I've sold off about half of my PCS preorders to make room for other companies. Aftermarket performance dictates whether I should PO+pay in full a piece or just get it on sale. Speculation means I can afford more statues. I don't know why producers/artists have such a hard time seeing the business side of it.
I agree 100% with this. There was a time when preordering from PCS was a good thing, now not so much.
Morgul Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 04:08 PM   #58
dreamactius
Sinister Six

Damn, I was hoping we'd see another warehouse gem discount in the newsletter.
dreamactius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 05:15 PM   #59
Blacksunn
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamactius View Post
Damn, I was hoping we'd see another warehouse gem discount in the newsletter.
I believe Sideshow has all the old inventory now, which is on sale btw.... Check there...
Blacksunn is offline   Reply With Quote