Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Just The Facts... > Collection Corner

Old 10-17-2018, 11:24 AM   #171
ukshaun
Hercules

SideShow - Angela PF

Angela PF arrived today, and WOW, what a piece. This has been on my wants list ever since
Captain Marvel arrived. Like Captain Marvel, Angela is made to the same high standard,
unlike the recent Harley (Margot Robbie) PF (the less said about that the better).
I picked Angela up during the recent Sideshow *look what we found in the warehouse* sale.
As it turns out, i received quite a low number, so quite a bonus.

Positives:
Great paint app. Easy to put together.
The mixed media fabric has a good quality to it.
Base feels nice and solid. While the design is not XM crazy, it does what it does well - looks
nice and keeps the statue upright
Hair shows little sign of graining (many small particles), something both the Emma Frost PF
and Harley (Margot Robbie) suffered from.

Negatives:
None i can think of. Compared to the prototype, i spotted 2 slight differences. Angela's belt
(which is glued in place) appears to be positioned higer up at the front. Angela's portrait
appears to point/lean in a slightly different position also.

If i wanted to be super picky, there is a small amount of sloppy paint work on Angela's back,
where skin tone bleeds onto the top of the black corset (see image). I might fix this myself.

ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:29 AM   #172
ukshaun
Hercules

Sideshow Collectibles - Scarface 12" Talking Figure

Don’t ask. I’m a fan of the movie. Yes, Enterbay make a superior, rather more expensive Scarface.
I picked up the Sideshow figure for a bit of fun. I was watching Friday Night Open Mic #11 and
Darth Castle performed some good impressions of Tony Montana. I jumped on ebay, and prices
started at $199.00. I picked one up for $51.00 boxed, ex display, like new

Scarface arrived today, and the talking aspect works fine. The sound quality is better than
expected. The 1/6th scale figure, it is taller than a Hot Toys figure (by about 1 inch). While the
portrait is off, not quite up to Hot Toys standards, it captures the menace of a tanned Cuban
immigrant with a criminal past.

Being more into statues, not figures, Scarface represents a piece of Sideshow Collectibles history,
to add to my collection. I doubt Sideshow will make anything quite like this again.

Update: The portrait reminds me of the actor Christoph Waltz
Old 10-30-2018, 09:33 AM   #173
ukshaun
Hercules

HMO - Bounties of Bathos – REN

Some new shots of REN
Old 11-01-2018, 11:04 AM   #174
ukshaun
Hercules

Today I decided to dust proof 2 of my IKEA Detolf unit‘s. It has been on my to-do-list ever since picking up my first unit (I currently own a total of 5) and discovering that there is a 5mm gap around the edge of the glass door that lets in a small amount of air, leading to dust build up, which no collector wants.

Having watched various videos on YouTube tackling the problem, which included, rubber strips, foam strips, synthetic fibre strips, I decided to pick up a 10 meter roll of 9mm x 9mm grey self adhesive synthetic fibre strip (weather strip). This was enough to do 2x Detolf units, with some leftover’s.

The grey color of the synthetic fibre strip blends in well, and isn't all that noticeable.

The process is quite straight forward:
1. Remove glass door
2. Clean glass
3. Stick one strip from top to bottom on the left side and repeat on the right side of the unit
4. Stick one strip from left to right at the top and bottom of the unit
5. Attached glass door

I have discovered one small problem. The magnets that hold the glass door closed, are not strong enough to hold the door closed, as the door now pushes tight against the synthetic fibre strips. As a temporary measure, I’ve used 2 pieces of clear tape. One idea have thought of, is adding 2 fabric straps around the unit, that could be placed at the same height as the shelves.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:50 PM   #175
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Thanks for sharing this process! I considered doing this, but I'm curious how well it works on cutting down dust. Also the problem with the door magnet was also a documented issue I was uncertain if it was worth dealing with. I look forward to your thoughts on how well it's doing in a few months.
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:27 PM   #176
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLothos View Post
Thanks for sharing this process! I considered doing this, but I'm curious how well it works on cutting down dust. Also the problem with the door magnet was also a documented issue I was uncertain if it was worth dealing with. I look forward to your thoughts on how well it's doing in a few months.
The unit is about 99% sealed. Providing i don't open the door(s), no dust should enter. Time will tell
The plan is to do the same to the other 3 units.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:02 AM   #177
House
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Congrats on Angela, Scarface and the HMO piece! For some reason my works internet blocks the site you use for your images. Finally got to see, not just read what you posted!
House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:16 AM   #178
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by House View Post
Congrats on Angela, Scarface and the HMO piece! For some reason my works internet blocks the site you use for your images. Finally got to see, not just read what you posted!
I switched to imgbb.com ever since Photobucket induced charges. No doubt imgbb will pull a fast one at some point.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:11 PM   #179
ukshaun
Hercules

SideShow - Black Widow (2017) PF

Black Widow PF arrived today. 103/1500 - quite a low number considering i ordered the piece
Sept 2018 (two months ago). I went with the regular, as i would not have displayed the EX
portrait. The box, which is quite small (and quite light) arrived in perfect shape (congrats DHL).

First impressions: Neat piece. Portrait turned out just like the prototype, and the paint app is
up there with Captain Marvel (Black Widow’s portrait reminds me somewhat of Captain Marvel’s
portrait). The black, blue, gold, red paint on the outfit looks great, no signs of sloppy application.
Both guns look good, and feel quite good quality. My Black Widow had no issue when connecting
the head to the body (i had read reports of a gap). Hair is nice and smooth, with no sign of
(Emma Frost/Harley Quinn) graining. All in all, really nice!

The Base: Good. Much lighter in weight than it looks. Both hands and head attached to the
body without issue. Some parts of the base might be plastic, I can’t tell.

Issues: Nothing major
The magnets used in Black Widow’s left and right hands feel weak, although they are powerful
enough to stop the hands from falling out.

The first attempt to join Black Widow to the base didn’t go well. There are 3 pegs, one of which
has a metal rod poking out (which is normal). The peg with the rod inserted 50% of the way
and failed to go further?. It took much effort to detach Black Widow from the base. On the 2nd
attempt, I placed the base on the floor, aligned all 3 pegs and pushed downwards exerting much
pressure, and bingo! Black Widow joined the base successfully. The amount of pressure required
could have result in breakage.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:50 PM   #180
omigeo
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post

SideShow - Black Widow (2017) PF

Black Widow PF arrived today. 103/1500 - quite a low number considering i ordered the piece
Sept 2018 (two months ago). I went with the regular, as i would not have displayed the EX
portrait. The box, which is quite small (and quite light) arrived in perfect shape (congrats DHL).

First impressions: Neat piece. Portrait turned out just like the prototype, and the paint app is
up there with Captain Marvel (Black Widow’s portrait reminds me somewhat of Captain Marvel’s
portrait). The black, blue, gold, red paint on the outfit looks great, no signs of sloppy application.
Both guns look good, and feel quite good quality. My Black Widow had no issue when connecting
the head to the body (i had read reports of a gap). Hair is nice and smooth, with no sign of
(Emma Frost/Harley Quinn) graining. All in all, really nice!

The Base: Good. Much lighter in weight than it looks. Both hands and head attached to the
body without issue. Some parts of the base might be plastic, I can’t tell.

Issues: Nothing major
The magnets used in Black Widow’s left and right hands feel weak, although they are powerful
enough to stop the hands from falling out.

The first attempt to join Black Widow to the base didn’t go well. There are 3 pegs, one of which
has a metal rod poking out (which is normal). The peg with the rod inserted 50% of the way
and failed to go further?. It took much effort to detach Black Widow from the base. On the 2nd
attempt, I placed the base on the floor, aligned all 3 pegs and pushed downwards exerting much
pressure, and bingo! Black Widow joined the base successfully. The amount of pressure required
could have result in breakage.
Congrats, this piece looks spectacular!! the paint does look flawless in your pictures too....I cannot wait to get her...
omigeo is offline   Reply With Quote