Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > What If?

Old 04-11-2008, 11:57 AM   #11
Teague
Iron Man

They shouldn't, IMHO, and they won't. They might try a "soft reboot" in the sense that they do things to reset continuity with specific characters, and try to recapture the sense of the silver and bronze ages, but aside from that? I think they'd have way too many long-time readers throwing up their hands and saying "that's it, I'm done."
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:42 PM   #12
risingstar
Jedi Order

I get the feeling that the real issue here is that comics in general as an entertainment medium is in danger. I hate to say this but sometimes it feels like it's becoming an outdated source of amusement for today and tomorrow's generation.

In the 1960s-80s, comics didn't need much help to get kids to come on board. They had room for it in their lives. It wasn't expensive and the storylines were generally good. In essence, it worked for the time. There was also little competition for a kid's time and money.

The playing field has since changed. Kids growing up today seem to prefer to devote their time and energy to a growing long list of other things before choosing to read the latest X-Men book. While they might notice a Superman or Captain America dying issue or a public unmasking of Spiderman issue or whatever other desperate attempt is made by the comic companies to get their attention, at the end of the day, the voice of this generation has already spoken. They just don't care. Definitely not as much.

What's DC and Marvel to do? That's the question.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:45 PM   #13
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
They shouldn't, IMHO, and they won't. They might try a "soft reboot" in the sense that they do things to reset continuity with specific characters, and try to recapture the sense of the silver and bronze ages, but aside from that? I think they'd have way too many long-time readers throwing up their hands and saying "that's it, I'm done."

I wonder if many readers from our generation are secretly yearning for something like that to happen as it might finally provide them with that eagerly awaited justification to quit buying.

Who knows?
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #14
IronFist
I'm writing an unauthorized autobiography.

You know, I don't think I'd be incredibly offended by a reboot. My biggest problem with large-scale reboots is that it makes writers lazy. They think that because a story "never happened" that they should go back and retell that story, but with a slightly different take on it. For instance, Ultimate Spider-Man.

If you're going to do that, then why even reboot int he first place? Just write a new story, now that you're unencumbered by past events!
IronFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:16 PM   #15
Gangleri
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Spiderman OMD opened the box (Pandora's or Joe's) in much the same way the Byrne re-imagining did for DC's Superman.

The further they take characters stories from the 30-50 year norm the easier it will be to relaunch the character.

I want each title to be it's own "universe" in the hopes that the creative teams on the books will be better remembered for the work they do (good or bad). Collectors already speak of creative "Eras" for Spiderman, Avengers, FF, X-men.....why not have 2 numbers on each book, the overall issues published and the number run for the current creative team??

The TPTB can forget the history that this hobby was built on...(But) they better produce "GREAT" stories to recapture interest...or we may forget about them.
Gangleri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:24 PM   #16
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I wonder if many readers from our generation are secretly yearning for something like that to happen as it might finally provide them with that eagerly awaited justification to quit buying.

Who knows?
Hey, as much as I love 'em, I might do it too. And I'm pretty die-hard.

I imagine that when I do quit, it'll be just the current stuff, and I'll move to filling in the great silver and bronze (and maybe golden!) age stuff I missed.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote