Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-18-2021, 10:33 PM   #521
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Pizza View Post
That's awesome. Had a couple of chances to buy her and passed because I wanted to save for a 1/4 Storm and because the Punk variant is the one I really want but I'd love to own both down the road if possible.
I owned the OG Bowen Storm that had her flying through a cloud in her classic costume. I sold that to a friend so I could make room and pick up the classic museum Storm that's in my collection now. Unfortunately, I don't have room for a punk Storm but that piece by Bowen looks great. I'm just waiting on a 1/4 classic Storm that really floors me. Good luck trying to score either of the Bowen Storm statues you want. Can't go wrong with either of them.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:37 AM   #522
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
If/when companies make another 1/4 Storm - I just hope they look beyond the Lee and Byrne looks. I know people love them, but there are plenty of statues to be had with those looks. And great statues too!

We need some modern love. That goes for characters like Cyclops too. With Sideshow hopefully giving a modern day looking Scarlet Witch, perhaps the art direction is getting more modern moving forward??!!
Yeah, I’d love other costumes since I do multiples of Storm.

In fairness though, in specifically 1/4 the new PF is the only US issued sculpt of the Lee costume. We can all get XM, but it’s not meant for us, and SS was probably completely unphased about XM’s 420 ES available for only 2 weeks that plenty of people missed out on for reasons.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:40 AM   #523
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Pizza View Post
Also shouldn't we be calling that costume Cockrum/Byrne?
Thank You.

Like said, Byrne is more well known. And also people are lazy, it’s easier to type lol.

But it should be Cockrum. Not even Cockrum/Byrne.

Because Byrne just drew a costume that Cockrum designed. That would be like calling a classic costume drawn by a modern artist the modern artist’s costume (swear y’all do it with Jim Lee all the time...he designed maybe 10 X-Men costumes, y’all think he did everything lol). Even if it seems small, we gotta give credit to who it’s due. Byrne might’ve drawn it a lot, but Cockrum designed it, there’s a whole story to the design of it, too.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:52 AM   #524
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
Thank You.

Like said, Byrne is more well known. And also people are lazy, it’s easier to type lol.

But it should be Cockrum. Not even Cockrum/Byrne.

Because Byrne just drew a costume that Cockrum designed. That would be like calling a classic costume drawn by a modern artist the modern artist’s costume (swear y’all do it with Jim Lee all the time...he designed maybe 10 X-Men costumes, y’all think he did everything lol). Even if it seems small, we gotta give credit to who it’s due. Byrne might’ve drawn it a lot, but Cockrum designed it, there’s a whole story to the design of it, too.
I agree, but I also see why people (including myself) say Byrne. When you talk about Byrne X-Men in comic circles, it's about the era. The run that Byrne drew is arguably the greatest run in the history of the franchise, with storylines that impact the comics and movies to this day.

So depending on how you're looking at it, I can see why someone would say "I want a Byrne Storm", because they're thinking in terms of era not in terms of design. Again, I think you're technically right, but I find myself thinking/saying "Byrne" even though I agree with you.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 04:40 AM   #525
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
I agree, but I also see why people (including myself) say Byrne. When you talk about Byrne X-Men in comic circles, it's about the era. The run that Byrne drew is arguably the greatest run in the history of the franchise, with storylines that impact the comics and movies to this day.

So depending on how you're looking at it, I can see why someone would say "I want a Byrne Storm", because they're thinking in terms of era not in terms of design. Again, I think you're technically right, but I find myself thinking/saying "Byrne" even though I agree with you.
No offense meant to Cockrum (or any other artist) but no one draws Ororo like Byrne does. IMO, Byrne draws the sexiest looking Storm I've ever seen.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:33 AM   #526
Demona
Martian Manhunter

He drew Storm very free spirited. She was written very much that way too. She was always strong, but she as sweeter and less jaded. More carefree. Remember how they had more than one panel where she was walking around the X-mansion naked or skinny dipping? Even she though Americans were too prudish about bodies
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:48 PM   #527
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
He drew Storm very free spirited. She was written very much that way too. She was always strong, but she as sweeter and less jaded. More carefree. Remember how they had more than one panel where she was walking around the X-mansion naked or skinny dipping? Even she though Americans were too prudish about bodies
Yup, her naked rain showers were awesome!
Old 02-20-2021, 05:19 AM   #528
Peedi
The Secret Six

I get what y’all are saying. It’s just unfair to the person who made it to call it the Byrne costume when it’s Cockrum who made the costume, and for that matter, Storm herself.

That’d be like if FJC created a thing and then I came right behind him and made that thing and everybody said “we want the Peedi thing” even though FJC created it.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:33 AM   #529
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
I get what y’all are saying. It’s just unfair to the person who made it to call it the Byrne costume when it’s Cockrum who made the costume, and for that matter, Storm herself.

That’d be like if FJC created a thing and then I came right behind him and made that thing and everybody said “we want the Peedi thing” even though FJC created it.
You have to understand that happens throughout comics. Collectors will say..."I want Jim Lee X-MEN or Batman, Perez Titans or Wonder Woman, John Byrne X-MEN or FF". They didn't create those characters (well, George Perez did create a few new Titans). Fans are usually talking about their favorite era or version of a character(s). I doubt anyone wants to take credit away from the original creators. It's more a nod to specific creators of a specific era in comics.

Either way, I'm cool with you giving credit where credit is due. I just don't think anyone is purposefully trying to take any credit away from Dave Cockrum. To true comic fans, his legacy will always be recognized.
Old 02-20-2021, 12:07 PM   #530
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
You have to understand that happens throughout comics. Collectors will say..."I want Jim Lee X-MEN or Batman, Perez Titans or Wonder Woman, John Byrne X-MEN or FF". They didn't create those characters (well, George Perez did create a few new Titans). Fans are usually talking about their favorite era or version of a character(s). I doubt anyone wants to take credit away from the original creators. It's more a nod to specific creators of a specific era in comics.

Either way, I'm cool with you giving credit where credit is due. I just don't think anyone is purposefully trying to take any credit away from Dave Cockrum. To true comic fans, his legacy will always be recognized.

Concur. That's exactly what I mean when I say Simonson Thor. I'm referring to Walter Simson's tenure as the artist for the Thor comics that's in my collection. I just love how Simonson depicted and drew Thor during his tenure. And a classic Thor statue based on his depiction would be a dream.

Same when I say Byrne Storm ...I'm just referring to Byrne's tenure ...not as the originator.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote