Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 03-06-2020, 02:55 PM   #26361
nearmint
Phoenix

I've always enjoyed Ladyhawke. Rutger Hauer was a great actor, and Michelle Pfeiffer was gorgeous in that movie. Matthew Broderick's accent was a bit pathetic, but forgivable in an otherwise good movie.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 02:59 PM   #26362
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
I've always enjoyed Ladyhawke. Rutger Hauer was a great actor, and Michelle Pfeiffer was gorgeous in that movie. Matthew Broderick's accent was a bit pathetic, but forgivable in an otherwise good movie.
Matthew Broderick was my only hesitation about the movie lol but im sure ill get over it
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 04:08 PM   #26363
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
if I really enjoy these ill go further into your list Hellboy and pickup fire/ice, deathstalker, red sonja and warrior/sorceress.
Well don’t get your hopes up on those. None are great films but if you want to deep dive into the sub-genre you might find something to enjoy in them.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 04:47 PM   #26364
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Well don’t get your hopes up on those. None are great films but if you want to deep dive into the sub-genre you might find something to enjoy in them.
depends on how hooked I get I guess lol only time can tell, right now im just focusing on the primary recommendations from everyone then we'll see how it goes something about these movies is just really fun, even with dated effects and not so great acting, it is good food for the imagination
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:23 PM   #26365
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Rebecca (1940) - A self-conscious woman juggles adjusting to her new role as an aristocrat's wife and avoiding being intimidated by his first wife's spectral presence.

I couldn't help but view this 1941 Oscar-winner through a 2020 lens so that hampered my enjoyment a bit. It was filmed very well though with Hitchcock's signature creepy vibe. 7/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:27 PM   #26366
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Thanks everyone! im very excited to get more into this genre, from what i've seen the 80's is definitely when most of these movies were made, not sure how I've been sleeping on these all my life but im happy to know about them now!
"The Green Knight" (from Arthurian legend), comes out in May. I'm highly anticipating it.

I'd post the trailer, but I don't think we're allowed youtube links.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:31 PM   #26367
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Thanks everyone! im very excited to get more into this genre, from what i've seen the 80's is definitely when most of these movies were made, not sure how I've been sleeping on these all my life but im happy to know about them now!

based on all your suggestions I picked up the below movies, I'll review as I receive them and watch them

-Clash of the titans (1981)
-Dragonslayer (1981)
-Excalibur (1981)
-The Sword and the Sorcerer (1982)
-Beastmaster (1982)
-Conan the Barbarian (1982)
-Sword of the Valiant (1984)
-Conan the Destroyer (1984)
-Ladyhawke (1985)

if I really enjoy these ill go further into your list Hellboy and pickup fire/ice, deathstalker, red sonja and warrior/sorceress. Legend i've seen and own, I enjoyed that one a lot too. Willow im going to watch on Disney+ for now since its on there, might get the blu-ray down the road

Tnovak, its been so long since i've seen Conan (1982) I can't even remember it im embarassed to say, and i've never seen Conan the destroyer (1984) I found a dual pack on amazon that has both movies on blu-ray
Of that list I would say only these are watchable IMO.

-Clash of the titans (1981)
-Excalibur (1981)
-Conan the Barbarian (1982)
-Sword of the Valiant (1984)
-Ladyhawke (1985)

And I don't know when it came out but "The 13th Warrior" is one of my favorite movies. It is based on the Michael Crichton Novel "Eaters of the Dead" which is itself based on an updated to Viking times Beowulf. Truly it is the only version of any kind (book or film) of Beowolf that I ever liked at all.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:16 AM   #26368
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
"The Green Knight" (from Arthurian legend), comes out in May. I'm highly anticipating it.

I'd post the trailer, but I don't think we're allowed youtube links.
Post it without fear, a film trailer has nothing to do with the reasons we're not allowed to post YouTube links.

Oh, and Quicksilver, you might want to add Paul Verhoeven's Flesh+Blood to your list.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 10:45 PM   #26369
risingstar
Jedi Order

Underworld (with Kate Beckinsale) - 8.5/10
Still holds up!
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:27 PM   #26370
Agent23
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Contagion (2011) - 8/10

Tense and will leave you wondering “what if?”. Very well done and a stark reminder of what could happen in real life. Scary stuff.
Agent23 is offline   Reply With Quote