Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Hot Toys

Old 04-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #21
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by testsubject25 View Post
Why don't you just make a Computerfly forum that tailors to your specific desires, that way, you aren't put out.
It's just like everything in life, take what you need and leave the rest. No need to be bitter because there's a lot of shared interest. My .01 on your .02
you take the good you take the bad, you take em both and there you have the facts of life.
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #22
ComputerFly
The Phantom

[quote=gol;4281839]I wasn't saying that this statue should be made as an action figure, at all.

My post was not in response to you. It was in response to the title of this thread. But since I'm here...

SideShow is selling "statues" with fabric clothing these days, are they still statues or action figures?

Clothes do not an action figure make.

Btw am I wrong or your own avatar is one of those half-doll figure half-statues as well? A resin body dressed like a doll?

The statue in my avatar is a Premium Format statue, no moving parts.

My point is, the face sculpt of an action figure (what used to be a pejorative term) these days looks better than a resin statue which costs more (even though action figures cost a lot as well these days).

Also, this is the case of a statue that has also be done by Hot Toys. I won't debate the likeliness (he looks like Chevy Chase IMHO), because I don't think that HT did an amazing job either. However, judging from pics, wouldn't you prefer if your statue had this level of detail?

I would love it if Sideshow could match the human likeness of some of the Hot Toys, but I wouldn't take 10 of that HT Indy for my SS Indy PF. Sometimes SS does a better job on the likeness.

So on one hand you have a resin statue & on the other hand this IMHO better-looking action figure, which has mostly hidden joints. If the hands were stuck to the arms, it'd make a much better "statue" IMHO.

And you would be wrong, because that plastic action figure will never be a statue. BTW, don't those AFs come with cheap plastic stands to hold them upright when you walk by so they don't fall over?

(even though, again, it's not their best. But if we take their Jack Sparrow, I'd really like to see anything looking as good in affordable hand-painted resin)

Hopefully the new SS PF will give Jack a little more life than the previous version. I would still take the old Jack PF 'statue' over any version of Hot Toys plastic action figure.

It really comes down to the difference in the mentality of the statue collector vs. that of a action figure collector. I am super impressed with the likeness on Hot Toys sculpts. However, no matter how good the likeness, I will never see the entire product as a work of art, as I do statues. Statues are the the 'vision' of the sculptor, and qualify as 'art' to me. I will never see an action figure in that light, no matter how good the likeness is. It will always be a toy to me, and not artistic expression. That's the difference.
ComputerFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #23
gol
The Spirit

Quote:
And you would be wrong, because that plastic action figure will never be a statue.
why not?

Quote:
BTW, don't those AFs come with cheap plastic stands to hold them upright when you walk by so they don't fall over?
they do, but they're not necessary, unless you wanna put them in such poses that can't stand by themselves

Quote:
Hot Toys plastic action figure.
you keep writing "plastic" as if it was a pejorative word, but polystone IS plastic as well

Quote:
Statues are the the 'vision' of the sculptor, and qualify as 'art' to me. I will never see an action figure in that light, no matter how good the likeness is. It will always be a toy to me, and not artistic expression. That's the difference.
come on, you can't deny that HT's facesculpts are the work of a sculptor (whether it's digital or not), and as for being toys, they're rather expensive ones then.
I don't think that many people owning this kind of action figures really "play" with them. We put them in a nice pose, on our shelves, and never touch them again. And actually, many of them aren't very posable (because of the clothes). To me it's only an action figure when you SEE the joints. I can't see what's under the clothing on that SS Indy, maybe it's not even resin or it's not even painted..
To me, whether it's a work or art or not depends on the quality/details. There's a difference between a $2 stock & horribly painted figure (with joints or not) with visible screws & all, for kids, and a >$200 one with visible skin pores & realistic clothing.
gol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:33 AM   #24
Gustavo Freire
Jubilee

I agree Enterbay deserves its own sub-thread.
Gustavo Freire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #25
gol
The Spirit

Talking about similar companies, it looks like ThreeA is doing more than "art toys" now. I haven't seen Real Steel, but they have nice figures from it upcoming. I only like one of the models, but ThreeA are the masters of rusty patterns.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #26
testsubject25
Birds of Prey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gol View Post
Talking about similar companies, it looks like ThreeA is doing more than "art toys" now. I haven't seen Real Steel, but they have nice figures from it upcoming. I only like one of the models, but ThreeA are the masters of rusty patterns.
Yeah, Metal Gear, Portal 2, and Halo. They're branching out!
testsubject25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #27
gol
The Spirit

They're covering Portal? Great.
I'm seeing their protos, so they do the 2 robots. Nice models, but a weird choice considering that Portal's stuff is very white-clean, the opposite of threeA's stuff.

Neca is too, but well, their stuff are toys for real (even if they're hardly articulated). I had to preorder their gun, though.